Rent price change

Bound4Tassie

We are looking at a rental property tomorrow . Already sent in our application online and taken ID to the local office as it seems you need to move fast here.  Just looked online at the property again tonight and the rent has increased.  Is that common practice here? Does it mean they've got a few applicants already? 

Edited by Bound4Tassie

I've never known it to happen in Tasmania.  Can't speak for other states.  I'm very surprised if it has happened up your way.  There is a huge rental demand down here in Hobart at the moment but I didn't think the same situation existed on the north west coast.

Only ever rented in Sydney which is very competitive. Would see queues of people outside the nicer properties prior to the viewing . For very popular properties common to offer more than the advertised rent but not seen the on line price go up. Maybe the agent made a mistake and listed it originally at the wrong price.

If it is an open viewing you will get a good indication of level of interest by how many people turn up.

11 hours ago, Skani said:

I've never known it to happen in Tasmania.  Can't speak for other states.  I'm very surprised if it has happened up your way.  There is a huge rental demand down here in Hobart at the moment but I didn't think the same situation existed on the north west coast.

It's funny because I've been watching the rental market for months before we got here and houses seemed to be on for quitea while before it rented out. Last week we rang up about newly advertised ones and they'd already gone! 

1 hour ago, Bound4Tassie said:

It's funny because I've been watching the rental market for months before we got here and houses seemed to be on for quitea while before it rented out. Last week we rang up about newly advertised ones and they'd already gone! 

There's probably a reason for some of them to be advertised for a while.  You really have to see for yourself by walking into a place just what you are getting for your money. 

6 hours ago, Bound4Tassie said:

. Last week we rang up about newly advertised ones and they'd already gone! 

Are you still looking in the Port Sorell area or further afield as well?  I wonder if there's a "reverse snowbird" phenomenon happening up there?  Retired people spending the summer down here, then going back to the Mainland in winter?  (Happens in reverse in our winter months).

On 30/11/2017 at 22:59, Bound4Tassie said:

Well god.only knows what the price increase was for....it was absolutely appalling!  I wouldn't have lived there if they'd paid me the rent!! In an awful state and really strong urine smell in one bedroom! ! Back to the drawing board.

Disgusting!  How they have the nerve to rent out a place in that condition is beyond me and to increase the rent - what a joke!  You would think the real estate agent would have a word with the landlords.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We've been casually looking around Sydney, Forestville, Killarney Hts, Frenchs Forest in general just to gauge the market as our lease isn't up till much later in the year but we know the landlord is going to hit us with another increase.

What we've seen so far is simply awful and rentals that were worth $700-$750 three years ago are up for $1000-$1100 now and are very very tired with very little apparent upkeep. Last place we viewed had a massive 70s non-working oven complete with smashed door and a new oven alongside it in the kitchen. Agents advised it wasn't going anywhere and a wall mounted A/C unit was broken and was advised we could get it repaired ourselves if we wanted. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Plentymech said:

We've been casually looking around Sydney, Forestville, Killarney Hts, Frenchs Forest in general just to gauge the market as our lease isn't up till much later in the year but we know the landlord is going to hit us with another increase.

What we've seen so far is simply awful and rentals that were worth $700-$750 three years ago are up for $1000-$1100 now and are very very tired with very little apparent upkeep. Last place we viewed had a massive 70s non-working oven complete with smashed door and a new oven alongside it in the kitchen. Agents advised it wasn't going anywhere and a wall mounted A/C unit was broken and was advised we could get it repaired ourselves if we wanted. 

That's an AWFUL lot of rent to pay for a badly maintained property.  I thought a rental had to be kept in good condition by the landlord and all repairs to be made in a timely manner - organised and paid for by the landlord.   It's many years since we rented and we must have been lucky except for one place which had mould problems.   We moved out of that one asap.

Such short sightedness by landlords, they have a valuable asset and they should maintain it, after all there are tax deductions for this.

Also you get better tenants who will care for your property if you keep it in good order.  

We looked at some shockers in Adelaide, one where the landlord had bought unseen from overseas and it was on the rental market as soon as he settled!  I could see daylight through the cracks in the walls and it was damp and dirty. The agent was a bit embarrassed and said it would probably go to a house share for students or young workers.  I really think there should be a minimum standard and agents should say something, but they seem happy to take the cash............

• Sad 1