Australia's economy is a house of cards

syd

8 hours ago, Toots said:

I thought China was Australia's largest foreign landowner but it is in fact the UK.

https://www.therealestateconversation.com.au/2016/09/08/britain-australias-largest-foreign-landowner/1473298259

Im not at all surprised by that BUT the UK has had a couple of hundred years to get to that point, China is a newcomer but my view is will be No1 soon. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bristolman said:

Im not at all surprised by that BUT the UK has had a couple of hundred years to get to that point, China is a newcomer but my view is will be No1 soon. 

I've no idea why the government allows land to be sold to foreigners when they could lease it instead.  

10 hours ago, Guest263228 said:

Australia has been very lazy with the usual sell out politicians to the highest bidder. There are plenty of examples of this from the sale of Darwin Port to various agricultural lands of national interest.

It is clear China will influence will expand ever more in the future as their tourists dominate, students out rank all other internationals by far, trade dependency and not forgetting the biggest intake of migrants as well as investors in shoring up the housing market.

This will enable China to wield undue influence behind the scenes and at a stage influence policy.  

Will Peking Duck become a local delicacy?

• 1 month later...