Timeline for organising the big move

Nijallo

My plans are moving along pretty well and I am mostly very excited but occasionally somewhat terrified about the big decision to move back to the UK after more than 25 years in Australia. Despite some obvious sadness at leaving various aspects of my life in Melbourne, I have not yet had a single doubt that I am making the right decision in returning to the UK. I know it will be a rocky path once I arrive and it will take time to settle but I am so looking forward to finally being home. It's been such a long time coming considering I've been wanting to return since 1995!

I wonder if you kind souls can give me a bit of guidance. My house is due to be auctioned on 25 November, only two weeks to go, yikes! I have told the agent that my strong preference is for a 90 day settlement as I imagine this gives me a realistic timeframe to organise everything that needs to be done. My question is that, if a bidder offered the right money but wanted an earlier settlement, what can I realistically agree to? Could I do it in 60 days?

I've already organised the dogs' booking with JetPets, they are only waiting on me to confirm when to book the flights for them which will be two days after my flight I think. I've sold quite a bit of stuff that I won't be taking with me but will have more to get rid of once the house is sold. I'll also need to sell my car nearer departure date. I'll contact probably three shipping companies to compare quotes and intend to do this straight after my house sells at the auction (fingers crossed at least!). I also intend to book my flight as soon as I know my settlement date - is it realistic to fly out 2 or 3 days after settlement to allow for any delays with finances or should I wait longer?

All advice appreciated!

We are heading home in a couple of weeks, we sold our house couple of years ago and are in rented so thats easy, we have used gumtree for a lot of stuff, OH was offered a job and we had 5 weeks to get back so its been a rush. The car is the worst item to sell, I needed it for work and so only advertised it last week and had no interest whats so ever, lets hope it goes in next 7 days. Good luck with your planning [emoji4][emoji6][emoji4]

• Like 1

The car is always a pain, get it on for sale as soon as you can ( especially if its worth a bit ) if you do manage to get interest try and negotiate an extra week or 2 closer to your departure that you keep the car ( and for this you will knock an extra  $ 2 - 300 off ) and the reason for wanting to hold on is you are waiting for a company car to arrive ( don't tell them you are leaving or the offers will be sh@te )

55 minutes ago, Lady Tottington said:

The car is the worst item to sell, I needed it for work and so only advertised it last week and had no interest whats so ever, lets hope it goes in next 7 days. Good luck with your planning emoji4.pngemoji6.pngemoji4.png

Knock $$$$ off the advertised price asap, something is better than nothing?

Edited by Wa7

60 days is enough time to organise the shipping.

The money from my house sale took 3 days after settlement to clear as it was paid by a bankers draft. Apparently this is standard practice in NSW. Check with your solicitor how long it will take. You will then presumably want to send it overseas. I did that while I was still in Aus, if it is a large amount you need to work out how you will transfer it.  On line transactions have quite low limits and for larger amounts the bank will want ID. Irrespective of who you use to transfer it you need to send it to them first.

• Like 1

We flew the day after house settlement, we sold one car but ended up leaving the other with a friend to sell-but honestly we needed it clearing house & we have 2young children. We moved out of house & stayed in hotel for 2nights before flight- which was great for us. I would say 60days settlement is loads of time. We used a large move cube & we booked flights when settlement confirmed. Goodluck!! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nijallo said:

My plans are moving along pretty well and I am mostly very excited but occasionally somewhat terrified about the big decision to move back to the UK after more than 25 years in Australia. Despite some obvious sadness at leaving various aspects of my life in Melbourne, I have not yet had a single doubt that I am making the right decision in returning to the UK. I know it will be a rocky path once I arrive and it will take time to settle but I am so looking forward to finally being home. It's been such a long time coming considering I've been wanting to return since 1995!

I wonder if you kind souls can give me a bit of guidance. My house is due to be auctioned on 25 November, only two weeks to go, yikes! I have told the agent that my strong preference is for a 90 day settlement as I imagine this gives me a realistic timeframe to organise everything that needs to be done. My question is that, if a bidder offered the right money but wanted an earlier settlement, what can I realistically agree to? Could I do it in 60 days?

I've already organised the dogs' booking with JetPets, they are only waiting on me to confirm when to book the flights for them which will be two days after my flight I think. I've sold quite a bit of stuff that I won't be taking with me but will have more to get rid of once the house is sold. I'll also need to sell my car nearer departure date. I'll contact probably three shipping companies to compare quotes and intend to do this straight after my house sells at the auction (fingers crossed at least!). I also intend to book my flight as soon as I know my settlement date - is it realistic to fly out 2 or 3 days after settlement to allow for any delays with finances or should I wait longer?

All advice appreciated!

You could get removal quotes now, it doesn't cost and then you can instruct the one you choose immediately you know what is happening with your house, the more time the removals have to organise things the easier it will be.

• Like 1

90 days is plenty of time and even 60 days will give you breathing room.

We sold our house by auction on the 19th August, and flew out on the 4th of September, so just over two weeks later.  The house settled six weeks after that, but we did have a good friend keeping an eye on it.  In actual fact, the people who bought the house needed to settle their own house sale earlier than anticipated, and before our sale/purchase paperwork was ready, so they asked if they could move in earlier, providing our solicitor had proof of them having insurance, paying $1000 in rent to us for the 10 days. 

I had already packed most of our belongings up into a storage unit so that the house was presentable/staged and uncluttered for the open homes, so the two week window after the auction was spent packing the remainder of our things.  We'd already booked flights, but chose to book my husband on a slightly more expensive fare which would allow us to change it should things not go to plan with the house sale or his business sale.  Our cats were vaccinated and ready to go, Dogtainers just needed two weeks notice so that was fine.  The shippers we had round about six weeks before and they visited both our home and our storage unit.  I think we gave them two or three weeks notice, and that was fine.  We dropped the ball on our car, however, and ended up selling it to a dealer, for a lower price than we could have sold it for, had we been organised.

To be honest, the hardest and most time-consuming part was getting the house ready for sale (we did some renovation) and packing our things up and taking them to the storage unit ready for the open homes etc.  The other things just kind of slotted into place.  

Just make sure that your bank knows what is going on.  Our bank have been great, and provided us with a security key tag thing that we use to identify ourselves when transferring the money for the house and business sale over.  That took a couple of weeks to organise, but has been straightforward to use.  Had we not done that, we'd have had no choice but to transfer it all over inside our usual daily limits, which would have taken some time!

• Like 1

Defoe get the shipping quotes if you have de cluttered and know what you want shipping.  They do get booked up before Christmas.  

A few few years back we decided to return at Christmas and flew at the end of January.  We were in a rental so that was the min notice period.  We sold the car to a dealer and hired one for the last few days, dropping it off at their branch near the airport and got a free transfer. 90 days is too long.  60 days is ample and it can be done in less.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can anyone recommend removers from Melbourne to UK? I'm sure this has been discussed in other forums but I can't seem to find them. All I can remember is Kent.

Also anyone know the volume of goods that it becomes more viable to get a container rather than a shared load? I've used Kent's calculator and estimate 20 to 25 cubic meters which is short of the capacity of a 20ft container but if cost is about the same then it might be worth stuffing a few extra things in like the dryer and the outdoor setting.

1 hour ago, Melbpom said:

Can anyone recommend removers from Melbourne to UK? I'm sure this has been discussed in other forums but I can't seem to find them. All I can remember is Kent.

Also anyone know the volume of goods that it becomes more viable to get a container rather than a shared load? I've used Kent's calculator and estimate 20 to 25 cubic meters which is short of the capacity of a 20ft container but if cost is about the same then it might be worth stuffing a few extra things in like the dryer and the outdoor setting.

If you are anywhere near a full container that is what I would go for, that way you can include things that you were going to maybe sell or throw away.