Landing in Sydney

Guest nastasia

All depends on which runway in which direction. It’s a long while since I’ve flown over the harbour bridge and that was international from London via Singapore or HK I think. Usually the internal flights I’ve been on approach from the ocean so the harbour would be on the right side of the plane but I don’t recall any splendid views as you’re aiming skywards when they bank. 

If you’re on the left you might see the harbour in the far distance over the urban build up as you approach. 

It's totally dependent on the wind direction on the day. Wind direction determines which runway and which direction is used.

If there's little to no wind, then most flights will come in to land over Botany Bay as it minimises noise for people living in the suburbs surrounding the airport.

The very best view of Sydney Harbour is from the left hand side of the aircraft when it's landing from the north. So hope for a nice brisk, south/south-easterly wind on the day and you might get lucky.

Totally agree with above, choose the left side. If coming in from the North (Runway 16) you'll get a decent view of the city, if coming in from the South (Runway 34) you will also see a little of the city (whereas the right side is just sea views). 

The prevailing winds are northerly, so generally from Melbourne you'll be looking at a straight in from the South which unfortunately means limited city views. 

That said, if you are the adventurous type you could take a flight in a light aircraft from Camden or Bankstown along the Harbour Scenic and Victor 1 routes (takes about an hour or so, perhaps costs $300 and can take 2 or 3 people) and will give you the best views of Sydney you can imagine. One of my favourite trips out with the family, but quite busy for myself as the pilot. 

Edited by CaptainR

On 07/11/2017 at 13:16, ytboy said:

Flew in from Adelaide on Sunday. Left hand side!0b73f98aafd5a2cbc108eb62e387635e.jpg

"Flew in from Miami Beach BOAC, Man it was a dreadful flight.." Sorry, I sees the Beatles everywhere.  Great photo too. The red rooves or is it roofs (Neither looks / sounds right - were what struck me last time I flew in from UK.

I'm plucking up my courage to fly to Perth for Xmas. First flight in nine years. Not been there for 20 years and I was there this month 39 years ago too.