Passport question

RVN

Hi, my daughter, who was born in the UK and is now an Aussie citizen , is coming back to the UK in Dec for 6 months. My questions are, 1. She wants to get a little job that will pay for her spending money and also for putting something on her resume when she comes back to oz. Will she need a visa as she will be travelling on her Aussie passport because her UK one ran out and it was too expensive to renew. . 2. Her Aussie passport expires in September 2018. She is due to fly back to oz in June, will this be an issue bring under 6 months? If so would she be better renewing her uk passport while she is there and travel back on that? 

She will be 18 in March 

TIA 

Edited by RVN

It’s not expensive to renew a UK passport at all. All done online. Costs the same from Aus as in the UK application wise. For the £80 or so I’d get it done then there are no complications or worries.

Hi, my daughter, who was born in the UK and is now an Aussie citizen , is coming back to the UK in Dec for 6 months. My questions are, 1. She wants to get a little job that will pay for her spending money and also for putting something on her resume when she comes back to oz. Will she need a visa as she will be travelling on her Aussie passport because her UK one ran out and it was too expensive to renew. . 2. Her Aussie passport expires in September 2018. She is due to fly back to oz in June, will this be an issue bring under 6 months? If so would she be better renewing her uk passport while she is there and travel back on that? 
She will be 18 in March 
TIA 

If she enters the UK on her Aussie Passport she's only allowed to stay under conditions of that passport, i.e. As a tourist staying for no more than 6 months.
That would also mean she shouldn't be working.

You can enter the UK on an expired British passport, but it might be less stressful for her if it is renewed beforehand.

All four of our UK passports had expired when we returned to the UK in September.  We just handed them over at Edinburgh airport passport control, the guy cracked a joke about the kids not looking like their baby photos anymore (youngest kid's passport was from when she was six months old - she was nine years old when we returned!), and gave us a cheery "welcome home" and waved us through!  I was armed with our Aussie passports (which we needed to get on the plane) and birth certificates, because I worried we'd be questioned, but it was fine.  I had intended to renew them before we left, but with the renovation/house sale/packing etc. time just ran away.

She should be fine entering the UK with a valid Oz and expired UK passport. My wife was in the same situation. However, I would recommend she gets one before she travels as many employers now ask to see a valid passport before make a job offer. 

Yes, they have to submit new employees passport numbers on their monthly/ weekly HMRC report (FPS)

11 minutes ago, Lou Dower said:

Yes, they have to submit new employees passport numbers on their monthly/ weekly HMRC report (FPS)

Hmmm.  That's odd.  My OH has been working for almost two months and hasn't had to provide any passport details at all.  He just gave them his National Insurance and professional registration numbers when he started.

ETA:  There is no legal requirement to own a passport in the UK, so I'm not sure what people who've never had one would do.

Ok thanks guys.... I'll try and get it renewed if I can before we go. Also if she comes back to oz in June, and her aussie passport expires in September 18, would that be an issue coming back into Oz? Is there a "must have 6 months left on passport" "thing" still?

9 minutes ago, LKC said:

Hmmm.  That's odd.  My OH has been working for almost two months and hasn't had to provide any passport details at all.  He just gave them his National Insurance and professional registration numbers when he started.

ETA:  There is no legal requirement to own a passport in the UK, so I'm not sure what people who've never had one would do.

No it certainly wouldn' be a legal requirement. My wife has never had to give passport details. 

1 minute ago, RVN said:

Ok thanks guys.... I'll try and get it renewed if I can before we go. Also if she comes back to oz in June, and her aussie passport expires in September 18, would that be an issue coming back into Oz? Is there a "must have 6 months left on passport" "thing" still?

The thing is if she turns up at the airport they aren' going to put her back on the plane. I'e never understood the 6 month thing, surely if you passport is current on that day it should be adequate. 

IF they have used the passport to verify identity and right to work in the UK they would have the number and are obliged to submit it. There are other ways of verifying identity and right to work.
RTI data items 17/18 show the current list of fields submitted to HMRC each pay period.

My son was stopped from boarding in Adelaide for a 2 week holiday to Thailand and he had 5 months on his passport 

Travelling into UK on an Aussie passport you need to be on a return ticket or immigration will query 

I think I would renew the UK passport for entry but your daughter would have to leave the UK on her Aussie passport as she wont have a return visa now in her UK one 

There is no '6 month rule' for either the UK or Australia.

However most countries where people stopover en route DO have the 6 month rule, as does Thailand, which is why the son of the poster above wasn't allowed to board. Not an Australian rule, but a Thai one.