Australian Driving Licence

Lady Tottington

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2017 at 17:18, Lady Tottington said:

So we have booked our tickets one way , we leave on 26th November our aussie driving licence runs out on the 26th October, should we risk it and just use our UK licence or should we renew our Aussie licence?? ???

Cheers Lady T

Sent from my SM-T580 using PomsinOz mobile app

just a bit of advice, the licence will show up as expired on the database .. and if you are pulled for a RBT then chances are you are fined etc ... for the 100$ is it really worth it .. just go the local office and get a 12 month licence ...

• Like 2

just a bit of advice, the licence will show up as expired on the database .. and if you are pulled for a RBT then chances are you are fined etc ... for the 100$ is it really worth it .. just go the local office and get a 12 month licence ...

Thanks but im just too honest, not got the cheek to drive with no licence so renewed for 12 months [emoji6]
  • Like 1

I agree with some of the others just buy a 12mth one, the police are out in force on our roads ,more so in the run up to xmas it isnt worth the fine if your caught.

Will you need a hire car when you land? as you will need a valid licence to hire and drive one, so not sure how you would go if you had an expired licence as it would be invalid.

Cal x

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, calNgary said:

I agree with some of the others just buy a 12mth one, the police are out in force on our roads ,more so in the run up to xmas it isnt worth the fine if your caught.

Will you need a hire car when you land? as you will need a valid licence to hire and drive one, so not sure how you would go if you had an expired licence as it would be invalid.

Cal x

The OP says they have a UK license already so no problem as far as a hire car goes. 

• Like 2

Cal x

No we have got a car we just need to insure it when we arrive, I have my UK licence and I did renew my Oz one for 12 months, I was too worried Id get pulled and fined haha [emoji6] roll on 26th of Nov, [emoji4]
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lady Tottington said:

No we have got a car we just need to insure it when we arrive, I have my UK licence and I did renew my Oz one for 12 months, I was too worried Id get pulled and fined haha emoji6.png roll on 26th of Nov, emoji4.png

If you go near a Dpt of Transport, just nip in and ask them what to do, what ever they tell you get in writing of course. I 'think' you may be allowed 2 weeks to renew , so you never know they may do something for you.We have always found the staff pretty helpful in the centres when we are unsure of things.

Cal x

• Like 1

3 hours ago, welljock said:

Technically the UK one would not be valid as it has to have their current address on it

Nor would your Australian one if you had moved out. When I moved back I nearly got caught out when I  used my Aussie one to hire a car and they asked if the address was my current one. I twigged and said yes but I know of forum members who have told the truth and said they have just moved back and been refused the car. 

Many people migrating will not have a permanent address for a couple of weeks I am not sure how one is supposed to get round it as that is precisely the time ypu hire a car.

Edited by ScottieGirl
  • Like 1