Weeks Holiday in WA

richselina

Hi,

We've been to WA before and spent a lovely week in Perth and Margaret River and want to travel back again this October and looking for somewhere different to stay.  Ideally, we are looking for a beach/pool type holiday so that my wife can have a few days relaxing and I can play with my daughter if the sea/pool is warm enough.  

I'd appreciate any thoughts/comments on the areas we should look at (about 3 hours max drive from Perth) and any recommendations on hotels/apartments.

All comments would be most appreciated, especially about the weather in late October in and around Perth.

Thanks, Rich

If you have already done Margaret river and down south, maybe head north.  What's your budget?

Given the distances, you may want to consider flying though.  Have a friend who just spent some time up on Ningloo reef (speeling may be out) and the pictures looked amazing.  I think it is pricey up that way though.

Virgin do a Happy hour sale each thursday 4pm to 11pm (East coast time), worth keeping an eye on

• Like 1

A week is hardly long enough to travel to Ningaloo Reef, plus outside of preferred distance OP mentioned in traveling time. With a little more time though I would agree. As for Monkey Mia, I don't recommend to anyone. It is an over priced rip off, over controlled at that.

Perth is hardly a tourist destination. WA is. The OP needs the time to discover as distance is great. Although with only a week on hand, I'd probably go to Bunbury and/or Busselton, spending a few days in Perth metro as well.

I really don't expect too much swimming in the ocean, but hotel pools perhaps? Albany a five hour drive down south, could be an option. I'm off down there in two weeks. I swim, but the sea is a mite cold. Nice area of the country though.

Guest The Pom Queen
1 hour ago, Pura Vida said:

A week is hardly long enough to travel to Ningaloo Reef, plus outside of preferred distance OP mentioned in traveling time. With a little more time though I would agree. As for Monkey Mia, I don't recommend to anyone. It is an over priced rip off, over controlled at that.

Perth is hardly a tourist destination. WA is. The OP needs the time to discover as distance is great. Although with only a week on hand, I'd probably go to Bunbury and/or Busselton, spending a few days in Perth metro as well.

I really don't expect too much swimming in the ocean, but hotel pools perhaps? Albany a five hour drive down south, could be an option. I'm off down there in two weeks. I swim, but the sea is a mite cold. Nice area of the country though.

That's because you live there. I love visiting Perth as a tourist, mind you it could be the company that makes it lol.

9 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

That's because you live there. I love visiting Perth as a tourist, mind you it could be the company that makes it lol.

Well yes I do live here but don't believe that in anyway deviates from the limitations. After all I have been ferrying tourists, from abroad and interstate, around for a number of years. Return visits the limitations do tend to show with greater clarity.

As for living in a place, never short of showing off London or Paris to overseas visitors. The main problem in those places was encouraging only short stays, as well as not being seen as a free guest house with guide thrown in by folk that I hardly knew.

I meant to have a quiet word in your ear with regards to some of the contacts you hung out with in Perth. lol.....

11 hours ago, Collie said:

That's why i said you'd have to fly.

That would be the ideal route to take. A flight to The Kimberley would guarantee time spent on and in the water at Cable Beach in Broome. A day's car hire would enable a trip to Derby, as well as beginnings of Gibb River Road.

All rather different from normal place of abode and as well as Perth Metro. The South may prove to be a little cool still in October.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ali said:

I do like Albany and Denmark, some lovely bays/beaches and there's quite a bit to see down that way.  

Yes very much so. 'Amazing Albany', as the PR people have labelled it, has so much potential. Never quite arises to the occasion sadly, due I suspect to too many not wanting any change. I'd love to see Albany develop as an artist centre something along the lines of St Ives in Cornwall. It has the same moody landscape . Sadly both Albany and especially Denmark are going through a bit of a 'lean period'. Some ten business shop fronts vacant in Denmark. Quite a blow for a small town.

Still highly worth visiting.

9 hours ago, Pura Vida said:

That would be the ideal route to take. A flight to The Kimberley would guarantee time spent on and in the water at Cable Beach in Broome. A day's car hire would enable a trip to Derby, as well as beginnings of Gibb River Road.

All rather different from normal place of abode and as well as Perth Metro. The South may prove to be a little cool still in October.

I took my hubby to cable beach resort for his 50th birthday - it had the added bonus of being the first time away without the children  - loved it.

1 hour ago, ali said:

I took my hubby to cable beach resort for his 50th birthday - it had the added bonus of being the first time away without the children  - loved it.

I'd suggest most everywhere would be grand, minus children. Different part of the world though to be sure. Not a big fan of modern Brome, but adore The Kimberley. I hope to return in the not too distant future as a big fan of rock specimens in that region, among other things.