Parent visa-non contributory

Indianinoz

Hello,

We(me and my wife) migrated to Australia in Dec 15. Our parents wish to join us permanently, that is not on tourist visa but permanently. However, we do not wish to go for the contributory Visa as it is very expensive. When can I apply for the non contributory visa considering we are in Australia for around 21 months now(we went twice to our home country for around a month each)? We both are employed.

I understand they say this visa may take up to 30 years to process, but what is the reality? I also heard they do get a bridging visa which allows them to stay in Australia and get medicare as well but not work?

On 9/4/2017 at 15:53, Indianinoz said:

I understand they say this visa may take up to 30 years to process, but what is the reality? 

That is a fact and reality. There are around 40,000 non-contributory parent visa applications in the queue still and the Australian immigration department has allocated 1500 per year quota for them so you do the math. If you lodge today, when will your turn come?

Think from a government's perspective. Non-contributory parents will be a burden on the system (Medicare, Centrelink etc.) keeping the fact in mind that they have not paid a single penny tax to the government.

16 hours ago, verynewuser said:

That is a fact and reality. There are around 40,000 non-contributory parent visa applications in the queue still and the Australian immigration department has allocated 1500 per year quota for them so you do the math. If you lodge today, when will your turn come?

Think from a government's perspective. Non-contributory parents will be a burden on the system (Medicare, Centrelink etc.) keeping the fact in mind that they have not paid a single penny tax to the government.

Thanks for your reply! I understand that. However, I want to know whether the ones in queue are granted a bridging visa which allows them to stay in the country without being able to work. Also, whether during this bridging visa they're given Medicare and Centrelink benefits. I heard from a friend how applied the non-contributory visa, they got a bridging visa which was sufficient for them. His father was already 65 when he applied, he got he got the bridging visa soon and then at the age of around 68-70 he unfortunately died. It saved him from spending $50,000 approx.

12 hours ago, Indianinoz said:

Thanks for your reply! I understand that. However, I want to know whether the ones in queue are granted a bridging visa which allows them to stay in the country without being able to work. Also, whether during this bridging visa they're given Medicare and Centrelink benefits. I heard from a friend how applied the non-contributory visa, they got a bridging visa which was sufficient for them. His father was already 65 when he applied, he got he got the bridging visa soon and then at the age of around 68-70 he unfortunately died. It saved him from spending $50,000 approx.

How old are your parents? If over 65 then they may get a bridging visa but they won't get anything else unless their home country has a reciprocal agreement with Aus to pay for medical treatment. The UK and Aus have such an agreement but it doesn't pay for everything. If your parents come in on a Visitors visa, the bridging visa will only extend that visa and any of the conditions that are appended to it. Best do your homework.

PS. I waited until my daughter had been resident for 2 years before applying as that is a guideline that is used to describe a 'settled' migrant.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Yes, your parents would be able to get a bridging visa if they applied for the non contributory visa, but they would need to be over 65 to apply onshore.        I would have a look at Go Matilda's website.  They have some information on the the non contributory parent visas.  Or you could try contacting Alan Collett who has a fact sheet I believe.

On 9/7/2017 at 03:57, Indianinoz said:

I heard from a friend how applied the non-contributory visa, they got a bridging visa which was sufficient for them. His father was already 65 when he applied, he got he got the bridging visa soon and then at the age of around 68-70 he unfortunately died. It saved him from spending $50,000 approx.

I am curious how did/could he apply without paying the fee

On 9/7/2017 at 03:57, Indianinoz said:

Also, whether during this bridging visa they're given Medicare and Centrelink benefits.

Even if they get a bridging visa it is doubtful that they would be able to avail Medicare and Centrelink because as far as I know only permanent residents and nationals are eligible for that.

On 9/8/2017 at 17:10, Bridgeman said:

Yes, your parents would be able to get a bridging visa if they applied for the non contributory visa, but they would need to be over 65 to apply onshore.        I would have a look at Go Matilda's website.  They have some information on the the non contributory parent visas.  Or you could try contacting Alan Collett who has a fact sheet I believe.

My parents are 50 and 55 respectively. Can they not apply for the non contributory visa now? They are not in Australia at the moment.

Archived