Things I've learned in our first month in Brisbane

Firstly. Having a great time! Can scarcely believe anyone has the hide to call this "winter"! I do know a hot humid summer us around the corner however (we're in Brisbane).  

We've found people to be incredibly friendly and helpful. I'm enjoying the smiles and chat. Supermarket cashiers nicely pack your shopping, had forgotten about this ?

Ok ok so may or may not be helpful but here's a few things.

It seems commonplace to haggle for a big discount when buying white goods/beds/mattresses/couches etc. I'm sure many of you do this in the UK (I never felt brave enough to push too much ..ouch!). Here it seems almost expected. Do your research then choose stores that have the same or similar products ( i.e. The good Guys, JBHIFI, Harvey Norman etc). Tell the salesperson what you're after and ask for their 'best price' whilst you shop around. We literally saved hundreds of dollars on similar advertised instore prices. I know many of you will be saying you do this in the UK but I was amazed at the expectations we would do this plus the amount of money they discounted. Perhaps prices are high with the expectation of haggling? We even found a 'surplus' store that, feeling confident, I easily haggled $100 off an already discounted beautiful big table and 6 chairs. Be polite and go for it!

For those who are eligible for Medicare - expect the Spanish Inquisition (set aside a long time for the appointment). Even tho OH is Aussie they had to show proof they had left UK "for good" by showing farewell cards, shipping documents, employment contract etc. Plus the usual documents (pport, birth certificate etc.) you would normally take. 

We did struggle to find a rental however only because we have a cat arriving soon. Allow extra time in airbnb/hotel/serviced apartment if you have pets arriving. You have to sight the property before you can apply (Queensland- maybe not in other States). We were approved for a few rentals by agency and owner however the Body Corp (factor) then declined our cat at the final hurdle. Finally found a lovely townhouse - we didn't offer rental upfront but just made sure we engaged with the agent during the visit and dressed nicely. Pays to have all documentation scanned into your computer/email folders so when you apply it's all handy. To search for houses we used Realestate.com.au. You can enter your information into "1Form" (including scanned docs) which is what most agents ask you to fill in to apply for a rental. You can use this form over and over again which makes it a heck of a lot easier to then apply for more than one place if you have to.

It can be very tricky to apply for anything until you have a perm address. For some things we were able to use my OH's work address (checked with work and government body first). 

If you're coming to Queensland and wish to take public transport get yourself a Go Card asap. It's basically a card you buy and load with money which allows discounted travel (think Oyster Card). Makes for much cheaper public transport journeys. 

Ask your mobile provider to give you an unlock code before you leave if you're bringing your handset/s. We are with Three and it's been brilliant to use "feel at home" - effectively costing us only our normal monthly charge for google maps / booking hotels / internet searches. Now we're settled we'll give them the month's notice. We bought sims with Optus (contract for a year).

This is applicable pretty much anywhere I imagine. If hiring a car, don't buy the excess waiver from the car hire place. You'll find insurance companies offer this cheaper i.e. (not affiliated nor endorsing just one we had used) https://www.allianz.com.au/travel-insurance/news/collision-damage-waiver-how-to-save

Watch out for the magpies! They swoop and can really hurt ☹️ people affix white short cable ties out of the top of their bike helmets! 

When buying groceries or in a department store, check the back of your receipt. Companies offer some really good deals. Also many receipts offer money off affiliated (already cheaper than the UK) petrol as a default. I know it comes down to type of vehicle however we drove a behemoth around everywhere (Brisbane- Sunshine Coast - Gold Coast - Brisbane and many other places in between) for just over a week and paid $50 in petrol!

Lots of supermarkets have a policy if the item scans higher than the advertised shelf ticket price you receive the item for free! Happened to us quite a few times (not intentional I promise guv'na!)

Guest The Pom Queen

What a wonderful update thank you for sharing @Ozzie 

'I haven't come across the supermarket policy you mention maybe I need to look, we don't tend to check our receipts maybe we should.

1 hour ago, The Pom Queen said:

'I haven't come across the supermarket policy you mention maybe I need to look, we don't tend to check our receipts maybe we should.

I'm not sure of an exhaustive list - however Coles definitely have this policy. One was a great 'save' where a very large box of dishwashing tablets were discounted down to $25 or the like however scanned at normal original price. I hadn't even paid for them when I mentioned to cashier who checked, and completely removed the item from my bill! :cool:

2 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Good to have you back Kate hope all goes as well as possible. This policy has been about for decades now for just about every supermarket in Aus and UK we get the occasional one usually when they have forgot to remove all the 'special' labels from the shelves, or if the cashier doesn't know her parsnips from her turnips!

5 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Gee, are the Maggies swooping already? I remember the swooping season as being a bit later but that's probably just my misremembering. 

A few have tried! Might be different in different locations? 

27 minutes ago, Keith and Linda said:

This policy has been about for decades now for just about every supermarket in Aus and UK we get the occasional one usually when they have forgot to remove all the 'special' labels from the shelves, or if the cashier doesn't know her parsnips from her turnips!

It was a lovely surprise! ?

It's not policy in many supermarkets in the UK. Tesco have a "double the difference" and Adsa simply refund you the difference and give you a £2 card. You don't get the item free.

Ive worked for both places, however this was in Scotland and perhaps things are different in England, Wales or N.I

Edited by Guest

24 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Gee, are the Maggies swooping already? I remember the swooping season as being a bit later but that's probably just my misremembering. 

Yeah, its the season. Late winter is when they start to get antsy round here, then into spring. By the time late spring hits swooping season is pretty much over. 

44 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

It was a lovely surprise! ?

It's not policy in many supermarkets in the UK. Tesco have a "double the difference" and Adsa simply refund you the difference and give you a £2 card. You don't get the item free.

Ive worked for both places, however this was in Scotland and perhaps things are different in England, Wales or N.I

OK it used to be when I left UK in 1999, you used to see a little note near every till............scanning code of practice (or similar)......... if scanned wrong you would get the first item free and others at the lower price, this was to stop people buying 200 of the same item because they knew it was priced wrong, there is a similar code here in Aus but not all are signed up to it but generally most work to it anyhow.

37 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

If you feed the maggies they tell their friends- and they won't swoop you. Sounds mad but we have found this to be true!

I think there was a TV program about Crows passing the message to their mates, and being able to identify individuals`faces. Didn't know Magpies also did this! On another note, they make weird noises, compared to their Brit counterparts!

15 minutes ago, DukeNinja said:

I think there was a TV program about Crows passing the message to their mates, and being able to identify individuals`faces. Didn't know Magpies also did this! On another note, they make weird noises, compared to their Brit counterparts!

The crows sound like they're saying faaaaaarrrkkkkk ??

8 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

They are on the back of lots of different receipts most of the time, its called shop A docket . They alos have a website,you can put your postcode or the postcode of places you may be staying into the search and it brings up offers nearby... https://www.shopadocket.com.au/?gclid=CjwKCAjw87PNBRBAEiwA0XAIr1AONztQdjIC4oV3HWPCq9j8hYTUyWje2TImI6QExjRPGYg9Y38b6xoCmtoQAvD_BwE

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, calNgary said:

i cant believe how much medicare made you jump through hoops, it seems a bit OTT

Yeah, that sounds a bit odd to me too! I remember back in 2011 it was quite easy, we just went to a medicare centre, took a ticket and were all set up in 45 mins or so, no hassles whatsoever....

8 hours ago, B1K3R said:

Yeah, that sounds a bit odd to me too! I remember back in 2011 it was quite easy, we just went to a medicare centre, took a ticket and were all set up in 45 mins or so, no hassles whatsoever....

Our cs agent was very thorough. Maybe we look dodgy ?

Sounds like they did have the Spanish Inquisition ready for you. I bet you weren't expecting it .... :biglaugh:

Sorry, had to get that Monty Python line in there!

We did our Medicare yesterday, and all we were asked was to fill in one form, show our visas, passports, and boarding passes.

I forgot to ask for a Medicare registration letter to avoid the loading though. Gonna have to take a trip back to the SunCorp Plaza.

32 minutes ago, DukeNinja said:

Sounds like they did have the Spanish Inquisition ready for you. I bet you weren't expecting it .... :biglaugh:

Sorry, had to get that Monty Python line in there!

We did our Medicare yesterday, and all we were asked was to fill in one form, show our visas, passports, and boarding passes.

I forgot to ask for a Medicare registration letter to avoid the loading though. Gonna have to take a trip back to the SunCorp Plaza.

? perhaps it's different for returning Aussie citizens? My OH needed to show they had left the UK behind sort of thing. Anyway, all done now.

Scuze the ignorance... whats the Medicare registration letter to avoid loading?

Edited by Guest

18 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

? perhaps it's different for returning Aussie citizens? My OH needed to show they had left the UK behind sort of thing. Anyway, all done now.

Scuze the ignorance... whats the Medicare registration letter to avoid loading?

My hubby never had to do any of that as a returning citizen.  Just the passport and fill in some forms. I had to show my visa grant letter and a couple of other things. 

You get 1 year from the date you take up residence in Aus to opt in on private medical insurance and avoid the loading (age related). 

Explains it better than I can (and covers new migrants) http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/healthinsurance/incentivessurcharges/lifetimehealthcover.htm

I was here about 11 months before we took out a private plan to avoid the loading. If you will be paying the Medicare levy also can factor in your choice as to if you opt for private within the year. 

Guest The Pom Queen
22 hours ago, calNgary said:

They are on the back of lots of different receipts most of the time, its called shop A docket . They alos have a website,you can put your postcode or the postcode of places you may be staying into the search and it brings up offers nearby... https://www.shopadocket.com.au/?gclid=CjwKCAjw87PNBRBAEiwA0XAIr1AONztQdjIC4oV3HWPCq9j8hYTUyWje2TImI6QExjRPGYg9Y38b6xoCmtoQAvD_BwE

Sorry I meant getting the item free if it was priced wrong

Guest The Pom Queen
On 04/09/2017 at 15:53, Keith and Linda said:

Good to have you back Kate hope all goes as well as possible. This policy has been about for decades now for just about every supermarket in Aus and UK we get the occasional one usually when they have forgot to remove all the 'special' labels from the shelves, or if the cashier doesn't know her parsnips from her turnips!

I will have to start checking.