Melbourne named World's Most Liveable City for 7th year running

Parley

Great - that will only encourage more people to come here. Melbourne is overcrowded, has terrible traffic problems, unaffordable house and land prices and a winter that lasts 6 months. For anyone thinking of coming here - just don't. There are hundreds of places in Oz that have a better climate, are more affordable and much nicer places to live.

57 minutes ago, Parley said:

Did you read the article ?

It is all explained in The Economist.

Yes i did still don't agree with it being Melbourne given the rising crime rate, house prices, growing traffic blockage and dreadful public transport system plus  other issues. I just don't get it??? 

12 minutes ago, Chicken66 said:

Yes i did still don't agree with it being Melbourne given the rising crime rate, house prices, growing traffic blockage and dreadful public transport system plus  other issues. I just don't get it??? 

It does not measure the cost of living there so it can be very liveable and very expensive at the same time. 

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:38, Parley said:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-16/melbourne-named-worlds-most-liveable-city-for-seventh-year/8812196

We have a few issues in Melbourne but still seem to be internationally recognized as the bes city in the world.

Worth considering if you are moving to Australia.

Worth considering for what reason exactly? This has nothing to do with the average incomer and aimed at business expats and company expenses. The other chart by same outfit into worlds most liveable cities of course doesn't see Melbourne in the top ten at all. Far more Euro city focused. Although I hardly agree Vienna deserves prime placing either.

But back to Melbourne. That city now has the fastest population growth in Australia and as thus is causing a lot of concern for many as living standards diminish. Increasing looking Australia's most over rated city. A shame as was once a rather nice city, with regards to architecture and vibe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stella Ravens said:

How come is still livable when there are still a lot of homeless sleeping everywhere in the city?!

Just goes to show doesn't it the stupidity  of such polls. Worse still  how PR wraps it up and packages it as something else. Something many fall for of course. Every year we have the same comments.

The narrative should of course be just how does Melbourne plan to cope with the biggest population growth in Australia. Something like 120,000 a year. Just where are the schools, hospitals, roads, public transport going to come from? How will it be funded?

No doubt the idea is to squeeze ever more into low quality high rise and deny quality of life is falling by the year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stella Ravens said:

How come is still livable when there are still a lot of homeless sleeping everywhere in the city?!

Vancouver and Vienna are high on the list and they also have homeless/beggars.  Any large city will have this problem.  It's sad but I've seen it in every city I've visited.

The obvious solution is to pause all immigration for a few years.

Victoria has dramatically underestimated the growth in its population. For some reason most migrants are coming to Melbourne compared to other capital cities, and then they have the nerve to go and reproduce too.

I read this morning that Melbourne will overtake Sydney as the largest city in Australia by 2036 and will have a population of 10 Million by 2050 if the current rate of growth continues.

Melbourne is building infrastructure, but it is hard to keep up.

Melbourne overtaking Sydney in population at a future date is old news. But at least you appear on board with regards the lunacy cannot continue. The reason people are going to Melbourne, is because Australia is running the biggest population growth in its history. People are priced out of Sydney, hence Melbourne picks up on numbers, being judged more affordable. The result being it to becomes a city unaffordable for most Australians, and an increasingly hellish life for those that somehow manage.

Now to put this into perspective Melbourne will grow from present 4.6 million to more than 6 million by the end of next decade. Never mind 2050. Australia is in for a hiding for no reason. At least its main city's are, unless the nonsense is curtailed. The problem being of course any cessation of the population Ponzi, will have the housing lobby up in arms, as the bubble inflates to bursting point. Quite a mess we have got ourselves in.

SBS reported that 170,000 were turned away from Community Legal Centres in Victoria last year. Due to lack of funding naturally. Just a small example of many things going wrong in the present climate.