Aussie wanting to move back with my UK bf

ausj

Hello!

Long time reader, first time poster. I have been researching visas for awhile and now it's getting closer to the time I need to make plans. :) 

Our situation:

I am an Australian citizen who has been in the UK on a working holiday visa which is set to expire in Feb 2018. It’s looking like it would be difficult for me to get a work visa in the UK for a few reasons. The main issues being that the company I work for is small, isn’t on the registered list of sponsors and the fact that the business needs to prove they’ve advertised the job for 2 months and can’t fill it locally. 

This doesn’t bother me too much because I feel ready to move back to Australia. However, I can’t just think about myself as my boyfriend (UK citizen) is here. We are both in our 20s. We have only been together for a year but things are going well and we are planning a future together. He is open to the idea of moving to Aus (we’re going there later this year and I’m sure he’ll fall in love with it haha). FYI - We do not live together.

It’s tricky timing as he’s just got a promotion at his job. He works for a large international company which may come in handy for us if they are willing to sponsor him. His qualifications/experience is in marketing, account management, sales and E-retail management.

We have been looking at what Aus visa options there are for him and I’m wondering what would be best.

• Work visa – Does his experience qualify for a work visa after the changes to the skills list? Does a company need to sponsor him?
  • Work sponsorship – Perhaps the Australian office of his company could sponsor his visa?
  • Working Holiday visa – As he is under 30 it seems easiest to just get a working holiday visa to start with. However, it’s a real shame you can only work at a company for a maximum of 6 months. If he entered on a working holiday visa, started working at a company and they wanted to sponsor him after 5 months can he switch to another visa type?
  • Partner – This doesn’t seem possible as we don’t live together yet

I understand work visas don’t count towards eventual permanent residency, is that correct?

There’s so much to think about with both our jobs, visas and moving that I have been getting a bit stressed by it but I’m trying to get the process started sooner rather than later. I appreciate any insight people have. :) 

Even if his company's Australian office is willing to sponsor him he still needs to be on the relevant skills list. 

Easiest route I can see is that he gets a WHV, moves in with you asap (before leaving the UK if posible) then applies for a Spouse Visa once you have 12 months cohabiting. If you move to a state that allows you to register the relationship then that means you wouldn't have to wait 12 months. 

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 1

Agree with the above. 

Pit is difficult to comment on options for sponsored visas without knowing his actual occupation and even then, from what you have posted, it might need a migration agent to see if he can fit into a category. 

You are correct you can not apply for a partner visa at the moment  

By far the simplest would be a whv. Your relationship is fairly early stage and this gives you the chance to live together for a year and see how it goes. 

Start planning your evidence to support a defacto relationship now, open a joint bank /savings account, insure or add each other to car insurance, keep joint invitations and holiday bookings etc... Once you move in together get all documents in joint names.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies! If he gets a WHV can we apply/switch to a partner one at any point? Or do we need to wait until the WHV has expired?

Does QLD or VIC allow cohabitation registration?

It does seem best to enter on the WHV... Regarding the sponsorship, his current position is E-Retail Manager.

We will look into getting a joint account and add me to his insurance now in case that's the route we go down. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

2 hours ago, ausj said:

Thanks for the replies! If he gets a WHV can we apply/switch to a partner one at any point? Or do we need to wait until the WHV has expired?

Does QLD or VIC allow cohabitation registration?

It does seem best to enter on the WHV... Regarding the sponsorship, his current position is E-Retail Manager.

We will look into getting a joint account and add me to his insurance now in case that's the route we go down. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Apply for the Partner Visa once he is eligible, no need to wait for the WHV to expire. When  it does expire he will go onto a bridging visa until a decision is made on the partner one.

https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-deaths-marriages-and-divorces/marriage-weddings-and-civil-partnerships/civil-partnerships/entering-a-civil-partnership

https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/marriages-and-relationships/register-a-domestic-relationship

• Like 1

Dowload and read the partner visa PDF and get yourself familiar with the small print. It covers the registering the relationship and other requirements in full. By the time your partner lodges their application chamces are you'll know it inside out ;)