489 state sponsored visa - conflicting information from migration lawyers

I have seen two migration lawyers in Sydney and both have given me conflicting information. I feel like I have wasted my money on the consultations and have not been told anything I already didn't know.

I am a Primary School Teacher and currently my profession is on the combined list for Tasmania or Northern Territory. I originally enquired about the 190 state sponsorship visa for Tasmania however, I can only proceed with this if I have an employment offer which is very unlikely in my profession.

I then came across the Subclass 489 - Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa (section 3A). Below are the responses from both lawyers.

Lawyer A -

The 489 is a long wait too and quotas are normally used up before they reach 489 nominees. 

I saw what you were talking about on the NT website, they do some discretionary 489 and 190 nominations each year if you undertake to live in their state for two years and do everything you can to find a job.  I could do this application for you but there are no guarantees, it is a rare and difficult nomination to get.  We would need to present a whole picture of your experience and your husbands too.   It is possible they will like your British experience.  A job offer or offers in the NT would help this sort of application even if the offers will have expired by the time you get a nomination.

Lawyer B -

The 489 is not a problem we can easily get the visa for you. There is no medicare and you will have to pay all the school fees for both your children. ( He didn't seem too positive !)

Can anyone shed some light on the processing times?  ( DIBP website states 75% processed in 5 months /90% processed in 8 months) .

I qualify for the 489 and have enough points but I would like to use a migration agent can anyone recommend a good agent.

Medicare - we qualify for this under the reciprocal healthcare agreement between UK and AUS.

Schooling - Some states do not charge fees and some do but I cannot find anything about Tasmania does anyone have any information about this?

Edited by Fatimah
  • Haha 1

I have a 489 visa for south Australia. We move next month. From application submission to visa in hand was around 2 months. The 489 is considered a stepping stone to PR. You would only pay for the same fees that everyone else had to pay. Some government schools charge $400 per year, some $2000. It depends on the school. We are moving with no jobs, but looking at the job market there are confident we could pick up something within the first 3-6 months of arriving there. Hope this helps...

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

A 489 for NT would be tough to get as NT has cracked down on people who take the sponsorship but don't want to move there. However its a lot easier to get than a 190 for the NT - most people applying for those are only offered 489s now as NT know perfectly well that eith only a moral obligation to live in the Territory they will upsticks and leave on the first plane.

So the first agent is right, I thin, it will need work, proving your commitment to the Territory etc, but worth a go if you really want the visa. 

Several good agents post on here, their details are usually in their signatures.

I received 190 State sponsorship from Tasmania without a job offer so it is possible (every one had told me I was wasting my time)... I wrote an extensive motivation, had decent capital backing, and had examples of potential employers who stated they couldn't consider me until I had received a PR visa.

4 hours ago, KaizerG said:

I received 190 State sponsorship from Tasmania without a job offer so it is possible (every one had told me I was wasting my time)... I wrote an extensive motivation, had decent capital backing, and had examples of potential employers who stated they couldn't consider me until I had received a PR visa.

If I could get an agent who would help me with this I could also prove that it's extremely difficult to get a job offer when you are overseas. I don't think there are any Australian schools out there that will offer a job and keep a vacancy open for several months whilst the teacher gets their visa. 

Did you use an agent? 

On 7/10/2017 at 07:44, PFC1975 said:

Fatima

Lawyer B is incorrect I'm in NT on 489 & you get Medicare & you don't pay school fees 

we used migration agent Gomathilda & every thing was fine  

Thank you PFC1975. After researching I managed to find out but it's frustrating that the so called expert who charged us $200 for an hour long consultation didn't know what he was talking about.  >:(

On 2017/07/08 at 12:04, Fatimah said:

If I could get an agent who would help me with this I could also prove that it's extremely difficult to get a job offer when you are overseas. I don't think there are any Australian schools out there that will offer a job and keep a vacancy open for several months whilst the teacher gets their visa. 

Did you use an agent? 

Yes we did although the agent contributed little to our application for state sponsorship. In hindsight I could have probably done the entire process myself without agent assistance as our situation is pretty straight forward. 

Edited by KaizerG

On 12/07/2017 at 13:30, Fatimah said:

Thank you PFC1975. After researching I managed to find out but it's frustrating that the so called expert who charged us $200 for an hour long consultation didn't know what he was talking about.  >:(

Keep in mind that migration agents are trained and experienced in immigration and visas, not in Centrelink benefits, school systems, taxes, etc. although many will have knowledge of this too.  Most would tell you what they know but should make it clear what they aren't familiar with.

On 12/07/2017 at 13:30, Fatimah said:

Were you paying him as a migration agent with knowledge of migration law, or as a representative of Centrelink? Can't see why a migration agent should now Centrelink's policies, that's for you to find out as part of your research for the move.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...