TOTAL COST OF MOVING FAMILY OF 4

Red16

My husband is hooked on the idea of moving from UK to be with his extended family in Victoria, Oz.  I'd like to give him some sort of indication on a rough amount of money we need to have behind us for it to happen.  We are a family of 4, hubby is 39, I'm 36, kids are 12 & 7. My husband is 3rd line IT Support. Many thanks for any rough idea!! :) 

depends on visa costs, plus a whole bunch of other factors.

Assuming you can get a PR visa (186 or 190) your looking at $3900 for main applicant, $1800 for 2nd plus $900 each for the kids. If you use an agent, factor in another $2k plus all the other costs, police checks, medicals etc. That gets you your visa (assuming you are successful). Other visas will have different costs

Then you have migration costs - flights, shipping costs,  temp accommodation, car hire, food, spending money etc - ~10-15k

Then setup costs, house rent, car purchase, school fees, furniture to buy while you are waiting for your stuff to arrive. All the other things you forget about - ~20k for 6 months.

how longs a piece of string.

$50k should do it, you can do it for less (we spent about 35k all in) but alot depends on your circumstances, you'll need to write it all down and make some educated guesses, and then add 10-20% for unforeseens

Edited by kevsan
  • Like 1

Yeah sorry - the pound sign doesnt work on my aussie keyboard anymore.

Most likely you will rent to start regardless.

Check out realestate.com.au for the suburbs you want and the type of house. that will give you an idea of the prices

Hi @Red16, I've just moved this over to Aussie Chat for you rather than Forum Q&A, as it's a more relevant place for it and you might get a few more replies.  If you've any other questions at all about visas or the moving process, post away!  There are always  plenty of people around to help!

• Like 2

I think 30k GBP is about right. I include an agent in that cost. But we minimised shipping and shopped around for flights etc. People do things differently and having your skill documents assessed cost different amounts depending on the skill. Some people spend a fortune on English tests!

It depends on how quickly you will get working, the standard of accomodation that you will want and what sort of vehicles you will want to buy.

There was a previous detailed thread on this stuff.  I think you would need $50-60K.  It can be done for less but not very comfortbly.

Please make sure this is something you all want to do, as your post had the feeling of someone who is not keen on making the move.  Especially as you have children, the implications of him loving it in Australia and you not settling are horrendous - particularly if your family are in the UK.

• Like 1

I kept all our main costs we moved in 2012 and I was sponsored PR. We still had to pay our PR visa and all our moving costs, all up we didn't get much change out of £30k (family of 5) and that was including a shipping container of our furniture and worldly possessions. Also provided the bond for our rental, the more you can do yourselves and not use an agent the less it will cost you.

Have to say we risked a lot to come here and therefore we were determined to make it work and it has done so in every way. We are so happy we made the move!! Oh by the way the younger your children the less you will pay for everything - visa, medical, police check etc

I could list all the costs if you wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk