Scotland Island, Pittwater

Captain Roberto

Well we are at the initial stages of looking into moving there as it's more affordable and the school catchments are the same as we are already in. But as it's a public forum I was hoping to ask a few questions via messages or a messenger app. They might be mundane for a public forum and i didn't really fancy lots of irrelevant people chipping in things as that can happen sometimes on forums ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes thanks. Been doing desk research.

We do actually love living in Newport. But we couldn't buy a family home here as to expensive to get on the market.

So that's the main reason to look at these offshore places. We did a visit on Saturday and it seems like a different world! Many spiders...

• 3 weeks later...
Did you end up moving to Scotland Island? I've never been there. I retain a soft spot for Northern Beaches ever since living at Narrabeen in the 1980's.

Howdy Dave

No we are still in Newport. We like it up here a lot. But buying a house that fits 2 adults. 3 kids of varying sizes and a dog, a cat and 3 guinea pigs is a bit too much of a stretch.

Scotland island is a little more affordable but I gather it's not for everyone (which might mean it's not for us!). It's a little wild and very bush-like. And there no cars or mains water. And you need to use a boat to escape!

Hope you're well. I've been working around your way lots recently. Lots of Nice lunchs from City Edge etc.

• Like 1

I had to Google "City Edge" to see where it is. I may have been there but I'm not sure. Reservoir St? Not too far from the Surry Hills Hotel (previously Triple Aces) where I go to watch Spurs' games, on the corner of Campbell and Elizabeth Streets. I popped in there last night on my way to Foster St - Tios bar, something like Tios, Mexican themed bar, tequila. I don't often go there, probably just the second time. Sometimes, walking back after an early game, I'd stop at one of the cafes in the streets off Elizabeth St but mostly I stick to ones close to my home, La Flore just outside my block, Bondi Wholefoods, and Cook and Archies. There is a new cafe opening on the site of a previous beloved one - Juice and Java - which is right outside my flat.

I often wondered what it'd be like to live on Scotland Island? Probably a feeling of remoteness?  I'm so used to having everything on my doorstep. Today, I went down to Paddy Palin in the City with my brother so of course we Ubered it. He gets Uber to work every day. But we both walked home separetely. I went up to World Square to find a newsagency that issues the Go Get Car kits. I enrolled with them today, something I should add to another thread I started about that subject. I enrolled as a student as I'm doing a degree with the OU but then found I could enrol cheaper as a Senior, $6.35 per hour and no joining fee.

Since my car failed rego a month ago I have hardly noticed not having one so I figured I would try Go Get Car as they are right outside my flat, closer than my garage in fact, and I could rent out my garage. Rego and insurance cost me $1200 so I'm going to have a test and see how much I spend for a few weeks. A trip up to your area would mean 5 or 6 hours I guess. The last time I did it was one of those mega hot and humid days in February when I went to Collaroy pool to cool off, as well as going down to Narrabeen lake and popping into the pub.

Would Narrabeen be any cheaper than Newport?

I had to Google "City Edge" to see where it is. I may have been there but I'm not sure. Reservoir St? Not too far from the Surry Hills Hotel (previously Triple Aces) where I go to watch Spurs' games, on the corner of Campbell and Elizabeth Streets. I popped in there last night on my way to Foster St - Tios bar, something like Tios, Mexican themed bar, tequila. I don't often go there, probably just the second time. Sometimes, walking back after an early game, I'd stop at one of the cafes in the streets off Elizabeth St but mostly I stick to ones close to my home, La Flore just outside my block, Bondi Wholefoods, and Cook and Archies. There is a new cafe opening on the site of a previous beloved one - Juice and Java - which is right outside my flat.
I often wondered what it'd be like to live on Scotland Island? Probably a feeling of remoteness?  I'm so used to having everything on my doorstep. Today, I went down to Paddy Palin in the City with my brother so of course we Ubered it. He gets Uber to work every day. But we both walked home separetely. I went up to World Square to find a newsagency that issues the Go Get Car kits. I enrolled with them today, something I should add to another thread I started about that subject. I enrolled as a student as I'm doing a degree with the OU but then found I could enrol cheaper as a Senior, $6.35 per hour and no joining fee.
Since my car failed rego a month ago I have hardly noticed not having one so I figured I would try Go Get Car as they are right outside my flat, closer than my garage in fact, and I could rent out my garage. Rego and insurance cost me $1200 so I'm going to have a test and see how much I spend for a few weeks. A trip up to your area would mean 5 or 6 hours I guess. The last time I did it was one of those mega hot and humid days in February when I went to Collaroy pool to cool off, as well as going down to Narrabeen lake and popping into the pub.
Would Narrabeen be any cheaper than Newport?

Not sure. Nothing is really cheap in 2017. Not to enter the market with a 4 bedroom house. The only things under a million are units. Mad eh!

• 2 weeks later...

We don't want to keep moving the kids schools. They have been at 3 different schools in just over 2 years.

We'll have to try and make it work here. We can afford the rent. But buying is a bit hard going. Unless we get on the Island with the funnel webs ;)

• Like 1

No thanks to the funnel webs. It's a drag when you keep moving, no sooner putting down roots then pulling them up again, like a constant cycle of emigration. I've probably mentioned it somewhere else but I was vaguely thinking of either moving out near my brother and his daughter or, if could afford it, buying a second place out that way. That could be feasible if I sell my UK house. I like the convenience of the inner city with most of what I want within walking distance.

I think I can remember you posting on here before you arrived in OZ?

Yes. I did use my own name for a time but one of the bosses here said to change it to something daft to fit in! Ha ha

Time flies. Been here almost 2 years already. Like
Is often good, but do seem to work more than I did back home. Longer hours and less holidays.

With winters like these you can't really complain about the weather anyway.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Have a look at Newcastle mate 

it's definitely on the up prices are starting to creep up a lot less traffic , beachs as good if not better 

best thing we did was move up to Hunter 

It does sound lovely.

For us the thing is we don't want to move the kids to different schools again as they did it twice in 2 years.

Plus I work right by Wynyard now. And the commute would be too long.

So we need to either by a place we can afford and live it it (which is most likely Scotland island) or buy a place to rent out as an investment. Which could be anywhere I think. And then keep renting around here.

6 hours ago, Captain Roberto said:

buy a place to rent out as an investment. Which could be anywhere I think. And then keep renting around here.

With the absurd negative gearing rules that Australia allows - this is a reasonable strategy from a purely financial point of view.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Roberto said:

Yeah. I still don't understand the ins and outs of it. But having a property here seems like a better investment than having one in north Wales.

Agree with that prices in NW have just not moved 

we took the plunge nearly 4 years ago and bought a good sized block of land up in the hunter it's gone up in value a fair amount about to build our house which will make a massive difference to us financially , we only moved out of sydney 2 years ago. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain Roberto said:

Yeah. I still don't understand the ins and outs of it. But having a property here seems like a better investment than having one in north Wales.

Basically, from a pure financial point of view:

If you & I lived next door to each other in identical houses, we would both be better of renting from each other (ie I live in your house and you in mine).  This would allow us to claim expenses (and mortgage interest) against the rental income, if that is a loss, we could then claim that against our normal income (salary etc).  We can do this for up to 6 years (afaik) without losing PPR status and creating a capital gains tax issue upon sale.

Basically the taxman will subsidise your losses on an investment property.  AFAIK, Australia is the only country in the world that has this policy, it is ludicrous.  It contributes to high property prices (my estimate is by 20-25%).  Most people who work in banking agree, even the politicans (on all sides) agree but they deem it too politically sensitive to abolish as there are about 1m Mum & Dad property investors now.  It costs the taxman (you & me) about $6b pa.  That will only go up when interets rates rise.  The Treasury have been advising for it's abolition for years (to both sides).

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Tootsie said:

So Matt, did you move to Scotland Island? I am thinking of making the move there too as I LOVE it, but can see issues

1 hour ago, Tootsie said:

So Matt, did you move to Scotland Island? I am thinking of making the move there too as I LOVE it, but can see issues

Hey!

No, we didn't. we wanted to buy around here but it was just a little out of our reach for a 4 bedroom place. So we bought an investment property in Brisbane instead.

We also realised, that for us, the Island wouldn't work, as our kids are at an age where they need their independence to some extent, and we are actually moving to Mona Vale soon so they can just just get on the bus and won't need lists etc.

it's all very specific to what your own needs might bee. for us, we knew it wouldn't work well.

• 9 months later...