What to do first!

paulswin

Hi we've just decided we're all going to move back to the UK beginning to mid next year but I am feeling stressed already as don't know where to start first!   Have house, cars and boat to sell, furniture to ship, dog to sort out too!  I think we should put our house up for sale now and rent as could take a while to sell in this market but hubby says no he'd rather just rent for a couple of weeks after house sells so not to put it up yet........ I just feel it would all be too much to do at last minute!!!!!!!  Any advice!!!

• Like 1

Hi there,

Before rushing off and doing some actions it may be worth doing some thinking and planning.  Think of it as a project.  If you have a plan, it can help reduce the stress involved quite a lot.  My thoughts are as follows:

I'm a big believer in to do lists.

Start a list of all the things you need to do.  This can be a working list that you can add to and mark stuff off as it's completed.  there will always be more 

When you have your list of tasks - estimate how long it will take to complete them - then double it (better to be ahead of the game then behind)

Work backwards from say 2-3 weeks before you plan to leave to schedule when you need to do stuff (you don't want to be stressed at the last minute and it would be nice to have everything done and really enjoy the last few weeks, maybe even take a holiday.  This will give you a plan over time of what you need to do when.

Regarding your house - it probably depends on where you are and what the market is like in that market.  It will normally take a min of 3 months to sell, a 6 week campaign and 6 weeks to settle.  e.g if you are in Sydney/high demand area 4 months maty be ok, if you are in Perth, you may need 6-8 months as it is a buyers market at the moment.

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

First, don't panic. We moved from WA last year back to the UK and went from making the decision on the Tuesday night to getting on a plane on the Saturday. Four days!

The first thing I would do is set a date as that gives you a timeframe. 

If it is in under 12 months, then book flights. 

Next, get the dog sorted. We used Dogtainers who were excellent. 

Next, get some quotes from the removal companies for shipping. We only shipped personal items in a small move cube, but that was because we didn't have the cash to ship. 

Things like cars and boats can be sold quickly and easily on sites like Gumtree. I also advertised things on our sister site Perth Poms and sold a lot of furniture that way. 

The house I would put up sooner rather than later as if the market is anything like last year, it could take a long time. We had just built a new house and it was already on the market. Great house with lots of upgrades and priced well below the agents valuation, but still took an age. If it hasn't sold by the time you move, don't panic. Ours hadn't and it is fine to finish it from the UK. It just means when it does sell a visit to London as the documents have to be notified at Australia House and costs a few hundred dollars. 

Where are you staying initially in the UK? We used AirBnB for a few weeks which was great. We had a little self contained cottage for a couple of weeks. If you need short term accomodation then book this earlier rather than later. 

A couple of months prior to the big day, start applying for jobs. 

• Like 3

We were in WA nearly nine years. We lived south of Mandurah. 

We are very glad we moved back. I was worried about my wife before the move as she is from a hot country and enjoyed summer heat, but has loved it and we haven't exactly moved to the warmest part of the U.K. - south of Glasgow! But, we are loving it. We see the UK through totally different eyes and appreciate just much there is to see and do. Just got back from Kelvingrove today which is a fantastic museum and gallery with everything from a full spitfire aircraft hanging from the ceiling to a collection of some of the best French impressionist paintings. 

We lost a fair bit on the house - sale was about $80k below the mortgage level. Luckily we had mortgage insurance which covered it. If we had sole a year earlier we would have made about $100k. But what will be will be. 

We are very dog centred and we find it so much better here for him - no snakes and very dog friendly with so many places happy for him to go in - cafes, pubs, shops

• Like 1

Not yet, but hope to later this year. House prices here are very reasonable. We live in a stunning conservation village surrounded by rolling hills of countryside - very similar in appearance to the Yorkshire Dales. But have the advantage that Glasgow is only 18 miles away and Edinburgh is about an hour. We rent a great little cottage and to buy we would be looking at about £130k. 

Until now we have been building ourselves back up with things as we arrived back with only a suitcase each, we didn't own a thing. 

We did try living in the south east when we first got back. Windsor. Lovely place but too expensive and we would have had no chance of getting on the housing ladder. Although my occupation pays more there, it doesn't make up for the extra costs, so jumped at the chance of Scotland when I was made a job offer. Our family and friends are in the midlands and south east, but I can get a flight from Glasgow to Heathrow for £13, so for us, this works well. We love the village we are in. We don't have a shop or anything, but do have a village hall which does a lot of community things such as a monthly cinema and quiz and parties. The nearest town is two mile walk through fields and a forest past a stunning waterfall and we have a great community feel with effectively no crime. 

• Like 1

We are in this situation as well, the decision is made we are going back to the UK.  

We have been in Adelaide for 11 years, both been made redundant 3 times, within months of each other so we are both out of work together!  Had enough, the unemployment rate in SA has gone up again now 7% and that is before the Holden closure.  Jobs for my husband only come up once a twice a year.  

We came here to work and contribute, but we can't carry on like this.  There appears to be plenty of jobs advertised in the UK so with heavy heart we will be packing up and going back.  In June we will be going over for a month which is a holiday which was already planned, can use this to see what job opportunities there are. We don't mind where we live within reason -  not London or the South East too expensive and too busy and we have been there and done that previously.  Just decluttering and planning stage at the moment getting the house ready to put on the market, tidy garden up etc.  Then get quotes for moving and shipping our car (which came over from the UK) back and of course the two dogs.  We kept our UK bank accounts and a credit card, although we sold our house, we were fortunate enough to be able to leave the money in GBP off shore. 

Hopefully it won't take too long and I am focussed on getting back in time for Christmas 2017.  We were over for Christmas and New Year 2015 and had a great time, it was like Christmas is supposed to be.  Christmas in Australia has always seemed odd to us.  So some busy and probably frustrating times ahead, then new beginnings again!!

I am new to site so i hope I am putting things in the right place!

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Redtop1 said:

We are in this situation as well, the decision is made we are going back to the UK.  

We have been in Adelaide for 11 years, both been made redundant 3 times, within months of each other so we are both out of work together!  Had enough, the unemployment rate in SA has gone up again now 7% and that is before the Holden closure.  Jobs for my husband only come up once a twice a year.  

We came here to work and contribute, but we can't carry on like this.  There appears to be plenty of jobs advertised in the UK so with heavy heart we will be packing up and going back.  In June we will be going over for a month which is a holiday which was already planned, can use this to see what job opportunities there are. We don't mind where we live within reason -  not London or the South East too expensive and too busy and we have been there and done that previously.  Just decluttering and planning stage at the moment getting the house ready to put on the market, tidy garden up etc.  Then get quotes for moving and shipping our car (which came over from the UK) back and of course the two dogs.  We kept our UK bank accounts and a credit card, although we sold our house, we were fortunate enough to be able to leave the money in GBP off shore. 

Hopefully it won't take too long and I am focussed on getting back in time for Christmas 2017.  We were over for Christmas and New Year 2015 and had a great time, it was like Christmas is supposed to be.  Christmas in Australia has always seemed odd to us.  So some busy and probably frustrating times ahead, then new beginnings again!!

I am new to site so i hope I am putting things in the right place!

I can certainly understand your reasons. I am the main earner and was made redundant a few times in Oz and after the last one struggled to get any work. Eventually we agreed I would also start applying for jobs in the UK and see what would happen. Well, I immediately had interviews and an offer and off we went. That was over a year ago now and has proved the right choice. 

• Like 2

I just moved back with my 2 dogs. Got home Monday.  It took about 8 weeks to organise from getting quotes to moving. I sold my house 6 months ago then rented but that was definitely a more expensive option. I could easily have organized  the move during the settlement period on the house.

• Like 3

I am thinking of heading back home but don't know where to start looking about doing this. I assume it'll be straight forward for me as I'm a citizen but my hubby is Australian. Anyone have experience with this scenario? We won't be making the move for a couple of years yet but figured it's best to starting looking early.

Thanks in advance.

Lindsay

Guest The Pom Queen
12 minutes ago, Lindsay S said:

I am thinking of heading back home but don't know where to start looking about doing this. I assume it'll be straight forward for me as I'm a citizen but my hubby is Australian. Anyone have experience with this scenario? We won't be making the move for a couple of years yet but figured it's best to starting looking early.

Thanks in advance.

Lindsay

Hi Lindsay

It seems to be difficult getting a non British citizen back in to the UK. We have a few members who can advise so hopefully they will be along soon. 

2 hours ago, Lindsay S said:

Thanks in advance.

Lindsay

The first thing is to see if he has any chance of claiming a UK passport via anacestory rights. 

If not, then it depends on finances. Spouse visas require proof of finances which can be in two forms. Either the sponsor has been working and earning a minimum of £18600 and has a job to commence in the UK with at least the same salary or proof of savings which is £63000 held in a bank for at least six months prior to applying unless the money is from the sale of a house which doesn't require the six month period. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 22:34, VERYSTORMY said:

We were in WA nearly nine years. We lived south of Mandurah. 

We are very glad we moved back. I was worried about my wife before the move as she is from a hot country and enjoyed summer heat, but has loved it and we haven't exactly moved to the warmest part of the U.K. - south of Glasgow! But, we are loving it. We see the UK through totally different eyes and appreciate just much there is to see and do. Just got back from Kelvingrove today which is a fantastic museum and gallery with everything from a full spitfire aircraft hanging from the ceiling to a collection of some of the best French impressionist paintings. 

We lost a fair bit on the house - sale was about $80k below the mortgage level. Luckily we had mortgage insurance which covered it. If we had sole a year earlier we would have made about $100k. But what will be will be. 

We are very dog centred and we find it so much better here for him - no snakes and very dog friendly with so many places happy for him to go in - cafes, pubs, shops

@paulswin a bit of time has passed since you posted your original question, it would be interesting to hear how things are going. There has been some very good information here for you and by far, creating a list is really good idea.

If we were in your position the first thing to go would be the boat. Pack its bags and tell it to leave, then shortly followed by one of the cars. That would be a bit of a weight of your shoulders and it should be possible to live without them.

With the house I personally feel that it will be one of them things that if you take one option, you will  look back and wished you had of took the other option. The worst thing that can happen is that you sell the house and then have to rent for a long time. The option of completing the sale once you are in the UK and going to London to sign may be the best option overall though.

From reading a fair few posts here, Chess seems to be one of the better shippers out there. We have not used them our self, but others who have, have nothing but high regards for them. The costs range from $3.5k for a shared container to $8k for a sole container. We have a car to take back with us, so not too sure if we will get it all in a shared one. Also read here that it is around $3k to get pet back, think that was a dog, but not totally sure. We hope to head back late next year and are using this time to save for these costs and do the house up. We do not want to sell, but rent for a bit.

It would be good to hear how you are getting on.

• Like 1

On 13/04/2017 at 17:31, Redtop1 said:

Totally agree with you on that one. Christmas in Oz just does not seem right at all. We did it once and sat eating our Christmas lunch in shorts and t-shirt sweating our socks off (as they say). Since then we have spent every Christmas back in the UK enjoying the festive feeling, the bag songs in the shops that get dusted off every October to be played again and most of all the colder weather. Christmas in the heat is not right for us at all.

• Like 2

On 13/04/2017 at 17:31, Redtop1 said:

Just decluttering and planning stage at the moment getting the house ready to put on the market, tidy garden up etc.  Then get quotes for moving and shipping our car (which came over from the UK) back and of course the two dogs.  We kept our UK bank accounts and a credit card, although we sold our house, we were fortunate enough to be able to leave the money in GBP off shore. 

Sounds pretty much like us, but we do not plan to sell our place, so we can take advantage of the Sydney housing market. That may change in time, but for now it seems the right option. We too brought a car over with us, a classic and that is going to go back with us too. What car did you bring over and will you be taking anymore back with you? We too kept the UK bank accounts open which for sure will help out a fair bit when moving back and trying to get things sorted. Shame you had to sell the house though as if you had not, it would have been a place where you could have moved back into short term if needed. At least you have the money from the sale.

• Like 1

Hi @Phil & Vikki

I'm currently in the process of getting ready to go - last week of July we are moving.  I've never made a big move like this before and never lived outside of Western Australia.  So big changes ahead.

We've got Chess quote - 28m3 sole use of 20ft container $8245 (with discount ex Perth) - we have actually 31.5m3 of gear and Paul says it's going to be a tight fit.  The zone we're going to is Peterborough and Paul said if we go out further probably around another 100GBP per zone.

Quotes for pet move were through JetPets and Dogtainers - we have 2 cats.  Perth to Heathrow costing $3,600 (rounded) for both and we're putting them in same crate - it wasn't much more for their own crate.  So not sure how / why but that's the quote.  We're going with Dogtainers as they're local in Perth and I prefer to be able deal with someone local.  Cats had their rabies injection last Friday - so that's covered.

I have started a spreadsheet but haven't quite got through typing a conclusive list and keep putting it off as it's daunting - been here all my life - 48yrs.  So my superannuation situation and UK Pension is not going to be great.  But decision made and can only move forward. 

I have put in my spreadsheet various tabs for different things - shipping quotes, pets, garage sale (for items we're selling to track money), plotted out our income v living costs v moving costs before we go.  Going to get copy of my birth certificate before I go so I've got a recent full birth certificate - won't be that easy once in UK.  Getting copies out of UK is easy - I've had to do it for copies of my parents to process my British Passport - based on ancestry.

I am finding having the spreadsheet does make you feel more organised and can easily update while I'm at work.

The biggest hurdle so far (aside from selling house) is getting husband's passports - expired Aussie one - cost $460 for priority and got in 36hrs.  Now we're doing his UK one (lost and expired) and hope it comes back in time.  Mine took 3 weeks and was my first time applying.  He is born in UK so hopefully shall be straight forward - nothing like leaving the important stuff until last.  So lessons learned would be to make sure the important documents are in order.

We're moving across as husband's family is in England and I've only got 2 brothers (& nieces / nephews - who we don't see as in another state and one we don't talk with) so for years we just work and work and got ourselves in too deep.  Bad time to sell and we've not come away with much after everything.  So let's hope we can make a go of it.

As house is just going through the finance deal - it's hard to know when it's a done deal and to sell things - we couldn't sell cars until we knew for sure - as we work in two completely different locations and can't rely on public transport.  So now we have to sell cars, currently selling furniture on gumtree (doing better on gumtree) and facebook. Garage sales start this weekend and we'll be doing them for 3 or 4 weekends in a row and then leaving what's not sold for new owners and also to Armadale Animal Association (already donated considerable amounts).  But worthy cause.

The house valuation for their finance just got done 15 minutes ago and so far the feedback is - no issue and they're borrowing only 80% - so looking good.  We might leave booking flights for now - unless someone can advise different as we just want to be sure the settlement etc is all sorted.  As it stands we'll be flying out the day after settlement date.

Crazy times ahead.

Edited by suesmalls

On 4/12/2017 at 05:23, paulswin said:

Hi we've just decided we're all going to move back to the UK beginning to mid next year but I am feeling stressed already as don't know where to start first!   Have house, cars and boat to sell, furniture to ship, dog to sort out too!  I think we should put our house up for sale now and rent as could take a while to sell in this market but hubby says no he'd rather just rent for a couple of weeks after house sells so not to put it up yet........ I just feel it would all be too much to do at last minute!!!!!!!  Any advice!!!

Moving home is always stressful, moving to the opposite side of the world is more so. Just keep reminding yourself of the goal.  You are moving to the greatest place on earth.

• Like 2

Haha @ScottieGirl

Yes not looking forward to the constant hassle of settling - but it's got to be done.  We won't have money for a house for years after selling in extremely depressed market in Perth.  We sold for under $110K of house valuation from 2 years ago and spent another $70K in the past 2 ears. Ouch. So no buying a house for a while. 

I think I might need that gin :)

Hope you're going ok with looking for houses and getting settled x

8 minutes ago, suesmalls said:

Haha @ScottieGirl

Yes not looking forward to the constant hassle of settling - but it's got to be done.  We won't have money for a house for years after selling in extremely depressed market in Perth.  We sold for under $110K of house valuation from 2 years ago and spent another $70K in the past 2 ears. Ouch. So no buying a house for a while. 

I think I might need that gin :)

Hope you're going ok with looking for houses and getting settled x

Probably going to make an offer on a house I don't even like as it needs a lot of work. But it's  a good location and I could style it how I like it. It's overpriced and agent advised cheeky  offer. The question is how cheeky.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

Probably going to make an offer on a house I don't even like as it needs a lot of work. But it's  a good location and I could style it how I like it. It's overpriced and agent advised cheeky  offer. The question is how cheeky.

Don't know whether you have time or contacts but it might help you if you could get a builder to look at the place and get a ball park figure for what needs doing, builders usually have an idea of how much for a rewire, new heating, new kitchen and bathroom  judge how much re-plastering is needed, new damp proof course, new windows, doors , re-dec internal and external, that then gives you some guidance on what you are going to have to spend.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, suesmalls said:

What is/was the rental market like where you are? If you were not making anything on the house (or even making a loss), could you not rent it out a bit and see if the market picks up? That way you might stand a chance of making some money on it or even not making such a loss.

• Like 1