A Decade in Aus

ali

Great post Ali. I never thought that I would live anywhere but England but once the idea took hold about 4 years ago we committed ourselves fully and have never looked back. Only 17 months here but I cannot imagine ever returning. Nothing against the UK or Europe but this place fits me like a glove for all the reasons you said. Already have a small circle of acquaintances, mix of Aussies and ex-pats, some of whom may become good friends in the future, who knows. Our daughter had her 13th birthday yesterday, has some really good friends. She has shot up in height since arrival and at 5ft 3ins is now almost as tall as her mum. Must be all the sunshine lol. Has not lost her English accent at all yet and her friends seem to really love the way she talks.

Great post Ali. I never thought that I would live anywhere but England but once the idea took hold about 4 years ago we committed ourselves fully and have never looked back. Only 17 months here but I cannot imagine ever returning. Nothing against the UK or Europe but this place fits me like a glove for all the reasons you said. Already have a small circle of acquaintances, mix of Aussies and ex-pats, some of whom may become good friends in the future, who knows. Our daughter had her 13th birthday yesterday, has some really good friends. She has shot up in height since arrival and at 5ft 3ins is now almost as tall as her mum. Must be all the sunshine lol. Has not lost her English accent at all yet and her friends seem to really love the way she talks.

I posted a picture on FB today taken in our first year - special memories as it was during a visit from my dad and he took the photo .. my son was stood in front of me, if we tried to re-create the picture now, you wouldn't see me as he's so tall.

Cal and Ali, if you wouldn't have settled in Perth and Brissy where would you have headed?

Not sure as really it would have depended what we disliked about here but believe it or not i would probably have Perth at the top of the list to try. Just dont fancy Adelaide, Melbourne or Sydney .

Cal x

I too very much enjoyed reading every sentence. It felt like reading a good book and hoping for a great outcome for the characters, and there you have it!

Cheers for sharing. It's lovely to see a big move work out for some people. I'm also pleased to see this thread hasn't derailed like other threads do. Very refreshing and love love love the positivity! All the very best for the next ten, and the next ten, and the.... :cool:

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and noticed the thread. Thanks Ali for such a honest account of your experience and sharing it with everyone. I have always wanted to be be in a place where there is a coast but can reach the countryside. Ten years ago I saw the programmes about moving to Australia and knew that's where I wanted to go. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I knew it was a pipe dream. Yet here we are ( husband and I) having applied for a visa.

We do worry about what will happen when we get there, will we fit in , make friends and enjoy life there. Your post was so positive in a good way without the rose tinted spectacles I'm guilty of wearing sometimes. :wink: .

Cheers,

Nita

Archived