Moving back home - timeframe?

costa123

Hi everyone

So we'be finally decided that we'll be heading home in April! We need to book our flights as still currently deciding whether to go back at the beginning or end of the month. I was just wondering whether those of you who have already made the move think that 4 months will be enough time to tie everything up here? It's myself, my husband and our toddler son. No property to sell. Am getting a bit overwhelmed worrying about the logistics of the move and how we are going to organise selling all our furniture/car/appliances etc but still function with a toddler in the last few weeks!

Also, with regard to notifying banks, mobile phone provider etc - did you tell them you were moving abroad? I want to be able to keep my Australian bank account open but won't have an actual address anymore.

Any advice on the practicalities would be greatly appreciated- thank you!

That's plenty of time. No property to sell in my opinion makes it a whole lot easier., it may be a good idea to try and time your departure with the sale of the car so this could bring the departure forward if anything. This is just one of those situations were you will just have to adapt your plans as you go and hope that you can sell the big money items around the same time as each other and be prepared to give away the rest of the cheaper stuff. Good luck with it all.

For the items you are selling, start getting some of them on gumtree/trading post as I found some of them did not sell as fast as I thought. It took me nearly 3 months to sell the vast majority and still have a few things left.

And be prepared for low ballers!

The other issue I am seeing for finalising is how to deal with selling the F/F and washing machine.

We made the decision on the Tuesday and flew on the saturday - 4 days and we had a house to sell.

Start the the clear out of junk now by having garage sales. (I was still having a garage sale 2 hours before going to the airport which wasn't ideal). It is amazing how much junk we all accumulate, so start getting that gone now. Then identify things you don't "need" such as a second TV and get that on gumtree.

Identify anything you you want to ship - there will be things, and work out its volume to see what the most cost effective way will be.

Four months is absolutely fine, most things you don't do until the last couple of months. You can book flights and shipping now and book temporary accommodation if you need it

but closing accounts with suppliers etc you don't need to do until the last month. We found it easier to ship our belongings a month early and move into holiday accomodation - obviously that's more expensive but it meant I could continue working up until the last minute and it made sorting out final utility bills etc. so easy.

It worked out for us because I didn't have a job to go back to in the UK and if we'd not shipped our stuff early we'd have had to go into holiday accommodation in the UK anyway.

Moving out one of the most stressful things was dealing with the final bills so I was keen not to go through that again.

No problem changing your Australian bank account to a UK address & Westpac are happy to send security codes to my UK mobile - worth asking your bank and if they aren't so accommodating change banks! make sure you have an account that doesn't charge if there are no deposits.

Thanks everyone - very helpful. I think it's a good idea to start selling some of our stuff now so that there isn't a mad last minute rush. With regard to shipping, we are thinking of only sending one container with personal items, pictures, clothes etc. Can anyone recommend a reasonable and reliable shipping company? Cheers.

Movecube are very good. They come in three sizes and with some thoughtful packing you can get a lot in. We used a small one and got in 6 tea chest boxes. It is delivered to your house and picked up, then delivered at the other end.

Brilliant, thanks for this. Will definitely look up.

Archived