Enrolled Nurse. Wait three years or go back now??

10yearstoomany

Hi everyone!

I'm 22 and have recently finished Diploma of Nursing. I've been accepted into Bachelor of Nursing starting March (this will take two years). I've read that I need minimum one year nursing experience before I can register in the UK.

Background info- been in Australia almost ten years, dragged here when I was thirteen. I've never felt like it was home. I find the girls my age really childish and bitchy, I don't like the heat and I can't imagine staying here. It's not home and since moving relationships with my immediate family have broken down.

So my dilema is whether i move back to the UK as soon as I have enough saved, then work for three years before studying Bachelor of Nursing, or whether I stick it out for three years.

Any advice would be helpful :smile:

Hi everyone!

I'm 22 and have recently finished Diploma of Nursing. I've been accepted into Bachelor of Nursing starting March (this will take two years). I've read that I need minimum one year nursing experience before I can register in the UK.

Background info- been in Australia almost ten years, dragged here when I was thirteen. I've never felt like it was home. I find the girls my age really childish and bitchy, I don't like the heat and I can't imagine staying here. It's not home and since moving relationships with my immediate family have broken down.

So my dilema is whether i move back to the UK as soon as I have enough saved, then work for three years before studying Bachelor of Nursing, or whether I stick it out for three years.

Any advice would be helpful :smile:

Hey 10yearstoomany!

Il just jump straight in, cause why the heck not lol!

Melbourne bound 23 year old, was also dragged here from the UK 7 years ago @16years old.

At 18 I refused to live in Melbourne any longer with my parents and resented everyone and everything. Took me a long time to re build my relationships. So I went back to the UK on my own with no money, no job but open arms from family members which helped massively..... believe me at 18 I was **** scared to have made such a big decision....

I ended up studying also whilst in the UK which I found to be a much better experience than study at Chisholm here in MEL.... however I ended up returning to Melbourne 10months later as I was missing my parents and was not coping to well....

Fast forward to December 2016 and me and my now husband( who followed me out from the UK @ 16!) are in the process are moving back to the UK Jan/feb 2017.

So as you can see I have ping ponged abit, and despite having family, friends etc I have always felt like something is missing. I call it a limbo land, the belongingness plays a big part with our emotions.

Do what you think is best, The UK have some fantastic universities so that could be an option to continue with your studies and work alongside?

Or like you said, take a break and work for 3 years, universities will always be there in the future.

Sorry if I rambled on and I hope my ping pong story aids you some advice.. Wishing you all the best in your decision :)

Jem x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My advice for what it's worth from a newly fifty year old. Do what you think will make you the happiest. Life is too short to spend years being unhappy. It's taken me a long time to realise life is for living it in the happiest way you can. Life for us this last few years has given us a sharp slap in the face to make some changes and to treasure every moment and to live it as happy as we can and doing the things that make us as happy. Good luck with everything. Lastly do what feels right in your gut.

No right answer to this one, it is purely a personal choice.

There is a sensible voice saying that perhaps it would be good to complete the degree you have already been accepted for. On the other hand, I know somebody from school who has just trained as a midwife at the age of 43. So so what if you defer three years.

Your username speaks volumes. Tenyearstoomany. You want that to be Thirteenyearstoomany? :wink:

I'm with Lorna in that your RN qualification will be far more transferable than your EN qualification. I know that when we left the UK 10 years ago that EN opportunities were really slip as that training had been phased out. Having said that, do what you feel will make you happiest but my advise is always to not burn any bridges.

Thankyou to everyone for replying. It's really good to hear different views and puts things in perspective.

I've been back once since we moved here, but that was almost six years ago. My main concern with moving back sooner rather than later is having to wait three years to be able to study as a domestic student in the UK, I feel like I probably realistically won't end up studying, just working and probably just stick in retail indefinetly (not that there's anything wrong with that- i've just always wanted to do nursing). Whereas I could have finished the degree by that time plus be working for a year and hopefully get a semi decent job.

Unfourtunately I don't have the money right now to go for a holiday (definetly not to move) so maybe the best thing to do is do the first year of the degree, work and then plan for a holiday december or november next year for four or five weeks.

I'd finish your degree here in Australia. The world is your oyster when you have that under your belt. If the UK doesn't work out then there are many other options for a fully trained nurse. I know 3 years possibly 4 with work experience sounds a long time but in the Grand Scheme of things it really isn't . You'll set yourself up for life, daft to defer I reckon.

Edited by LovelyWA

Thankyou to everyone for replying. It's really good to hear different views and puts things in perspective.

I've been back once since we moved here, but that was almost six years ago. My main concern with moving back sooner rather than later is having to wait three years to be able to study as a domestic student in the UK, I feel like I probably realistically won't end up studying, just working and probably just stick in retail indefinetly (not that there's anything wrong with that- i've just always wanted to do nursing). Whereas I could have finished the degree by that time plus be working for a year and hopefully get a semi decent job.

Unfourtunately I don't have the money right now to go for a holiday (definetly not to move) so maybe the best thing to do is do the first year of the degree, work and then plan for a holiday december or november next year for four or five weeks.

I agree, that if you're not going to be in a position for a while to move anyway, I think your plan of getting your degree under your belt is a great idea