Australia is so cheap!!

Phoenix16

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can appreciate how my comments sounded, I was raging and not rationalising but had had a day of it and vented on here. NO I'm not a snob, I do shop in Kmart, I did shop in Sainsbury's and Tesco's fir clothes when I lived there, and loved them actually, I was reacting to posts I thought were just being provocative, I should have counted to 10 first!! To some I do sound like an unappreciative DIL so I will explain, when we go to UK, they refuse to pick us up from the airport (unlike when they come here and we're talking same distances), we are not invited to stay with them, we pay expensive flights and expensive hotel bills, then we are considered to be the 'rich' visitors (which we truly are not) and every trip out, every meal out etc is on us, in fact it was even suggested to us before our last trip that we treat them all (along with us of course) to a family holiday in the Greek islands as I had been saying how much I missed the Greek islands, obviously we didn't appreciate the suggestion and certainly didn't not have that kind of money, so as far as I'm concerned we are used and abused when they come here and we are used and abused when we go there, hope that balances my frustrations to you a little more xxx

A not completely unknown occurrence, if a little extreme from the sounds of it. The main response being, have you related concerns in person? Perhaps if they are aware of the frustrations caused they will respond accordingly?

How nice for them to see their family who are thousands of miles away.

Myers is way too expensive, good on them for not buying clothes there for a little girl. Generally the clothes in Australia are rubbish anyway (16 years here has confirmed that), so great idea that they are planning to send some from overseas.

What! And primark are better than Big W or K Mart I suppose. Get real.

Wow. Just wow. Those horrible people. I would stay away if I'd be them. They are family, just spend a bundle on flights. It wouldn't even cross my mind to expect anything, since they would be my guest....

Sent from my FEVER using Tapatalk

Must be nice to be able to afford it. We've been here 25 years and heard so many stories and rants from friends just like phoenix post. We should get our heads together and write a book as most of the stories turn out to be hilarious.

For some reason, because we've emigrated maybe, everyone seems to think we are well off and most visitors seem to expect free taxi, tour guide, restaurant service meals whilst they lounge by the pool or beach.

We are the only ones here and we've seen family in the UK get handouts to help with buying cars, extensions, furniture etc. Nobody sees us struggle or have to save up for stuff, so it's out of site out of mind.

We never complain or ask for anything mind you. We have always been self sufficient.

What! And primark are better than Big W or K Mart I suppose. Get real.

No but different - I used to love going to LA and buying clothes from the equivalent shops there (Army & Navy, Target, Walmart), back in your own country no-one knows where they are from and they are different to what everyone else is wearing.

Anyway the OP has moved on from discussing clothes, that was never the real problem!