What have you done today to get yourself out of OZ?

evets

• 2 weeks later...

Where do I start, it didn't work out on just about all levels. So, I broke off a relationship, sold every asset I could and having wasted best part of 5-6 years and now in mid 50's it will be hard to recover but last decade moving from USA to UK to Aus between a divorce and exchange rates etc well enough said...got all my possessions down to a backpack and one tea chest is what i did identified what I need to live with and without - basically micro living or tiny house style. Sold anything there was 2 of reduced multiples of so many things we take for granted except those things necessary (pants and socks etc.) it took ages but everytime I downsized over time and kept going back I would find more to get rid off that I never used or could live without. You then realise how much junk we keep papers etc. I had already got rid of some 200 books in the USA, copied all CD's to back-up drive in iTunes etc. Does that help!

Where do I start, it didn't work out on just about all levels. So, I broke off a relationship, sold every asset I could and having wasted best part of 5-6 years and now in mid 50's it will be hard to recover but last decade moving from USA to UK to Aus between a divorce and exchange rates etc well enough said...got all my possessions down to a backpack and one tea chest is what i did identified what I need to live with and without - basically micro living or tiny house style. Sold anything there was 2 of reduced multiples of so many things we take for granted except those things necessary (pants and socks etc.) it took ages but everytime I downsized over time and kept going back I would find more to get rid off that I never used or could live without. You then realise how much junk we keep papers etc. I had already got rid of some 200 books in the USA, copied all CD's to back-up drive in iTunes etc. Does that help!

Yep helps loads. Sorry to hear about your circumstances, you have had a really tough time :(

Moving between countries really makes you assess all the stuff you have accumulated and what is really important. How much of a hoarder you can be and your spending habits on buying crap for the sake of it!

Planning for retirement when moving over 40 or 50 and having to start new pensions from scratch, is a tough call as will you built up enough capital in the time period.

I truly hope your move works out for you and you can get back on your feet. I am in the process of trying to downsize myself because of another relocation and looking at everything, thinking now why did I buy it.

Sign of the times I guess.

I 'av a plan and frankly me nan was right about taking it with you. I intend to use my retirement approx 900 GBP a month in a decade to just drive around the UK and see the sights then when time comes drive to a hospice or do a Louise and Thelma...LOL

Sign of the times not a believer in that, more consequence of decisions we make in life sometimes we use far too much emotion and I have always favoured logic since it costs far less. Onward and upward...people in 40's were way worse off and my grandparents kept it simple so I now do too. Less to loose perhaps but far less to try to keep hold of and maintain.

I 'av a plan and frankly me nan was right about taking it with you. I intend to use my retirement approx 900 GBP a month in a decade to just drive around the UK and see the sights then when time comes drive to a hospice or do a Louise and Thelma...LOL

Sign of the times not a believer in that, more consequence of decisions we make in life sometimes we use far too much emotion and I have always favoured logic since it costs far less. Onward and upward...people in 40's were way worse off and my grandparents kept it simple so I now do too. Less to loose perhaps but far less to try to keep hold of and maintain.

Perhaps a warmer location would allow even lighter travel? Met a few middle aged and older fellows travelling very light, in their adopted Asian homes. Some took a Buddhist approach to living.

Just imagine though, no winter coats, shorts and tee's everyday. GBP 200 a week would go three times further than UK.....

Yep helps loads. Sorry to hear about your circumstances, you have had a really tough time :(

Moving between countries really makes you assess all the stuff you have accumulated and what is really important. How much of a hoarder you can be and your spending habits on buying crap for the sake of it!

Planning for retirement when moving over 40 or 50 and having to start new pensions from scratch, is a tough call as will you built up enough capital in the time period.

I truly hope your move works out for you and you can get back on your feet. I am in the process of trying to downsize myself because of another relocation and looking at everything, thinking now why did I buy it.

If the GFC had not happened It would have been somewhat more convenient, but hey...70's werent great economically in London, nor Denver in 80's once you learn to live poor or shrewdly its easy peasy. Coming to Oz was not really a brainer UK was a mess by Dec 2009, so used last of capital travelled HK, Singapore, Thailand, Australia, and NZ it was actually getting here supporting self and never getting proper work, despite MBA and 25 years corporate experience. Immigration could not wait to take my money..lol feed uetter BS about value I brought educated experience then reality. I have worked since 15 35 years but not here USA, UK, HK never an issue this naive country - you can have it overrated overblown and far too hot. Still no crime and its clean, and I now can go to NZ if I choose so no big deal is how I look at it. decidely upbeat, realist me, always have been, always will be. Jar is always half empty - thats the potential for something new untapped and what could happen, not about what you have or want to hold on to. Enough of this it's not Hyde Park (Sydney or London)...LOL Oh yes and my pension is okay so long as USA does not go bankrupt about 900-1000 GBP per month so just get to 67...10 years to go...bags of time...cheers to all who read...

So true. Shame really. Easier to get a divorce than to make a marriage work.

Divorce is my only regret in life I should have made it work, tried harder, got counseling, firm believer in that. I was foolish about that one could easily say that - i would not disagree, c'est l'amour or is tel est l'amour can't recall (Such is love).

If the GFC had not happened It would have been somewhat more convenient, but hey...70's werent great economically in London, nor Denver in 80's once you learn to live poor or shrewdly its easy peasy. Coming to Oz was not really a brainer UK was a mess by Dec 2009, so used last of capital travelled HK, Singapore, Thailand, Australia, and NZ it was actually getting here supporting self and never getting proper work, despite MBA and 25 years corporate experience. Immigration could not wait to take my money..lol feed uetter BS about value I brought educated experience then reality. I have worked since 15 35 years but not here USA, UK, HK never an issue this naive country - you can have it overrated overblown and far too hot. Still no crime and its clean, and I now can go to NZ if I choose so no big deal is how I look at it. decidely upbeat, realist me, always have been, always will be. Jar is always half empty - thats the potential for something new untapped and what could happen, not about what you have or want to hold on to. Enough of this it's not Hyde Park (Sydney or London)...LOL Oh yes and my pension is okay so long as USA does not go bankrupt about 900-1000 GBP per month so just get to 67...10 years to go...bags of time...cheers to all who read...

Actually the seventies or at least a part of were an easy time to be in London. Perhaps not if corporate, but plenty of work and a great vibe and affordable venues, be it music or eating out. As London became more a financial hub and corporate this became far less so.

You may find it tough going in either Australia or New Zealand on that sort of pension. Neither country being cheap. Without a rent fre abode these days, life is very tough.

Tonight, I will be going back home and changing the single plug sockets in the house to double ones. This is a direct follow on from the light switches that were changed to bring them in to this centry and help smarten up the place. Soon it will be time for some painting and decorating to make the house fit for renting, when we leave. The plan is to rent it out and then once paid off, we will have a nice little earner which will give us a nice pension. At the start of the week we applied for a new born's Australian passport. So now all the kids have oz passports, They can come back if they wish later in life.We are looking to move back as we have been here for going on 6 years now and feel that it is time for the kids to spend time with their aging relatives in the UK, before it is too late. It is nice here, but never felt like home. We feel that our heart is not here and we always look forward so much to going back home at Christmas too much. That must tell us something.

Tonight, I will be going back home and changing the single plug sockets in the house to double ones. This is a direct follow on from the light switches that were changed to bring them in to this centry and help smarten up the place. Soon it will be time for some painting and decorating to make the house fit for renting, when we leave. The plan is to rent it out and then once paid off, we will have a nice little earner which will give us a nice pension. At the start of the week we applied for a new born's Australian passport. So now all the kids have oz passports, They can come back if they wish later in life.We are looking to move back as we have been here for going on 6 years now and feel that it is time for the kids to spend time with their aging relatives in the UK, before it is too late. It is nice here, but never felt like home. We feel that our heart is not here and we always look forward so much to going back home at Christmas too much. That must tell us something.

Nice plan :) And good to give your kids options in the future.

After 7 years myself, Xmas still feels weird without snow. Suppose it brings back child hood memories.

It would be nice to hear some of the reasons you are leaving and moving back to the UK or indeed moving to another country. It is nice to read all the success stories, and well done if everything has worked out and indeed worked out for the better. Some industries and locations in Australia, can be a real winner especially coming from the UK. For others especially in WA who rode the wave of the mining boom and now feeling the aftermath hit pretty hard.

For me, it was the option of retrenchment and facing a job market over 40 in a niche role, in an industry which is more and more being offshored or outsourced. Salaries are stagnant and cost of living with the ever rising housing market is making Australia an expensive country to live in, let alone take a holiday locally. The amount of people applying for jobs and the ever increasing migrants are putting a strain on the job market. Ask your next foreign taxi driver about there qualifications.

I am not trying to create a negative thread as everyone's story is different and reading numerous post's here and other expat forum sites, some are very heart breaking to read.

It would be nice to hear some of the reasons you are leaving and moving back to the UK or indeed moving to another country. It is nice to read all the success stories, and well done if everything has worked out and indeed worked out for the better. Some industries and locations in Australia, can be a real winner especially coming from the UK. For others especially in WA who rode the wave of the mining boom and now feeling the aftermath hit pretty hard.

For me, it was the option of retrenchment and facing a job market over 40 in a niche role, in an industry which is more and more being offshored or outsourced. Salaries are stagnant and cost of living with the ever rising housing market is making Australia an expensive country to live in, let alone take a holiday locally. The amount of people applying for jobs and the ever increasing migrants are putting a strain on the job market. Ask your next foreign taxi driver about there qualifications.

I am not trying to create a negative thread as everyone's story is different and reading numerous post's here and other expat forum sites, some are very heart breaking to read.

A good idea to suggest keeping it real though. There should perhaps be a 'negative (reality)sticky' IMO to save the constant need to repeat the 'other' side to life Down Under, which appears constantly swept under the carpet, as surplus to requirements of ensuring the 'dream' over rides all .. and won't be tired those that don't toe the line on that.

Not forgetting ATO requirements though. From experience maintaining rentals abroad is both expensive and darn hard work.

A good idea to suggest keeping it real though. There should perhaps be a 'negative (reality)sticky' IMO to save the constant need to repeat the 'other' side to life Down Under, which appears constantly swept under the carpet, as surplus to requirements of ensuring the 'dream' over rides all .. and won't be tired those that don't toe the line on that.

So true, programs like wanted down under screened in the UK show the Australian dream which is disappearing fast. I look at the area I am living in SE Melbourne, and all crappy small and expensive units being built. People grouping together to sell the mcmansions and capitilise, good on them, but the government and developers are not building anything that is family or community orientated in the central suburbs. The units I am seeing being built want top dollar and some rooms from what I can gather do not even have windows. Even in the outer suburbs, houses and communities are being developed, but lack any infrastructure, schools or amenities.

My vision of Australia was from a WHV in 2002, and how this country has changed since then.

Next to my office is a private school, and I commented to one of my colleagues(white Australian) that it was mostly Asians. Her response was Asian families value education and push their children while Australians do not, which does kind of sum up a lot of professions in Australia.

So true, programs like wanted down under screened in the UK show the Australian dream which is disappearing fast. I look at the area I am living in SE Melbourne, and all crappy small and expensive units being built. People grouping together to sell the mcmansions and capitilise, good on them, but the government and developers are not building anything that is family or community orientated in the central suburbs. The units I am seeing being built want top dollar and some rooms from what I can gather do not even have windows. Even in the outer suburbs, houses and communities are being developed, but lack any infrastructure, schools or amenities.

My vision of Australia was from a WHV in 2002, and how this country has changed since then.

Next to my office is a private school, and I commented to one of my colleagues(white Australian) that it was mostly Asians. Her response was Asian families value education and push their children while Australians do not, which does kind of sum up a lot of professions in Australia.

In part the education system has been adapted as such. Education being a major 'earner' for this nation. Even the housing market is tied in to the education market, and just made easier for foreign parents to purchase on temporally visas for foreign kids commencing school from Year 1.

2002 was a year before Howard opened the immigration flood gates and take this country down the road of what is termed, supported by all major parties, a Big Australia. Words can fail at times the path taken by politicians with instructions from their big business masters....

There a whole forum section called 'MBTTUK' ,99% threads are negative towards Australia and people post their feelings. So negatives are certainly not swept under the carpet. Infact you would hard pushed to find a thread now a days were negative comments arent in it or someone correctng someone elses possitive about Australia.

Cal x

There a whole forum section called 'MBTTUK' ,99% threads are negative towards Australia and people post their feelings. So negatives are certainly not swept under the carpet. Infact you would hard pushed to find a thread now a days were negative comments arent in it or someone correctng someone elses possitive about Australia.

Cal x

Agreed and this post is that section, I created based on another topic I was following about what people had done today to get to Oz. The posts in this thread I do not feel are negative so far, just peoples observations about the changing culture, lifestyle and general day to day living. I certainly do not have any negative feelings towards Australia and am still torn about my decision on relocating but due to certain circumstances I am hoping it is the right decision.

Everyone's experience is truly different and reading a lot of the posts, some people are not moving back to the UK because they have had a negative experience in Australia, but due to factors beyond there control and at the time it seems to be the best decision. And after spending so much time over the last number of months and reading such threads, I feel so much sympathy and empathy for numerous families who have made this decision. It certainly cannot be easy for them due to the time and investment in moving to Australia.

And agreed, yes internet forums (all) threads seem to take on a life of there own and sometimes degenerate in to chaos. Amazing what hiding behind a computer screen can do to some people, who would never talk to someone in real life like that.

Exactly how we feel- looking into whether we can afford to rent house out. Great idea- good luck- I'm looking forward to Christmas 2017 in nice cold England with the kids &family

Would you be looking to buy straight away or see how things progress for you?

What part of the UK are you looking to move to and would any equity from the sale in Oz be all you have to get back on the ladder in the UK?

We're thinking of going back at some point in the next couple of years. Not because we're being pushed out of Australia, or because we've been unhappy here, because we have been very happy. It's just that the older we get, the more isolated we feel and to be honest I think we're both a bit worried about what will happen in the future if/when something happens to a family member back in the UK, or to one of us. I've become less settled here over the past three years or so, but I think it's an increasing feeling of isolation and like I don't quite fit in here somehow. Not loneliness, that I could handle, but Australia just seems further away from home than it used to in some way.

It surprised me that my OH agrees. At one point I'd have had to drag him back kicking and screaming (or as he put it, in handcuffs or a coffin!), but even he is doubting our future here. Maybe it's just a seven/eight year itch, and we're just ready to move on again to a new challenge or something, but I'm fairly certain that our next move will be back to the UK. We wouldn't want to move back to exactly where we came from though, and neither would we want to be too near to family (we kind of like our independence), so we're just looking at possible areas at the moment. OH has made contact with his UK office and we've had an estate agent to advise us of what needs to be done to the house to make it saleable, but we won't decide for sure until after Christmas at the earliest.

Exactly how we feel- looking into whether we can afford to rent house out. Great idea- good luck- I'm looking forward to Christmas 2017 in nice cold England with the kids &family
I've had two iced up windscreens already this November and that's in the south east. Although when I go walking lunchtimes it's usually t-shirt weather. Hoping for some snow this year. Almost forgotten what it looks like. Tempted to buy a new sled by don't want to tempt fate.

Its been very mild the last few years but with some real cold frosty sunny mornings which are exhilarating. hope we have a cold snowy one this year, its magical.