Family Tax Benefit part B $100K threshold

itegoa

Claim for whatever you can (if it's worth the effort). Who cares if it feels​ wrong. If you're entitled to it, go for it.

People on here mocking me for wanting that $4000 FTB payment, but the way I look at it is we earn $100,000 as a family yet pay out $27,000 tax each year. I want to get as much of that back as possible.

Edited by itegoa

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on staying underneath the $100K FTB (part B) threshold. For those that don't know, if you earn more than $100K (as a single parent or the main earner of 2 parents) you lose it ALL: https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/income-test-family-tax-benefit-part-b

My salary is $100K so I wouldn't normally (by the skin of my teeth) go over the limit, except i will do due to bank interest earned (guess about $1500 for the year)

Is there any way to keep my taxable income at the $100K or below level? I was thinking take a few unpaid days of work so total taxable income is < $100K.

Any other ideas please?

Pay the tax you are due like everyone else and stop bludiging.

Somebody earning $100k should fully expect to be paying tax, this is not so far off twice the average salary.

Pay the tax you are due like everyone else and stop bludiging.

Somebody earning $100k should fully expect to be paying tax, this is not so far off twice the average salary.

Yep agree, sounds like a smaller Donald Trump! there is a lot of moaning about the likes of trump and the big corporate tax avoidance, but most of us try to do the same I suppose it's just the scale which seems to make it worse.

However I advise to person in question to ask their employer for a salary decrease!

Claim for whatever you can (if it's worth the effort). Who cares if it feels​ wrong. If you're entitled to it, go for it.

People on here mocking me for wanting that $4000 FTB payment, but the way I look at it is we earn $100,000 as a family yet pay out $27,000 tax each year. I want to get as much of that back as possible.

Its a sad world when we think like this:wacko: if everybody did this then there would not be any money to fund the FTB nor many other things that are in place to help the more needy.

If the bank interest was all in your partners name would you be entitled to part B ?

Good point. It's currently in a joint account so interest is split 50/50.

We've already earnt on it though, so still got a little bit over the $100K threshold.

Yep agree, sounds like a smaller Donald Trump! there is a lot of moaning about the likes of trump and the big corporate tax avoidance, but most of us try to do the same I suppose it's just the scale which seems to make it worse.

However I advise to person in question to ask their employer for a salary decrease!

Salary decrease could be one way to go - employer might think i'm nuts though LOL.

Its a sad world when we think like this:wacko: if everybody did this then there would not be any money to fund the FTB nor many other things that are in place to help the more needy.

Not sad at all - just looking after my family and I

I'm just an employee, so charity donation is probably the only thing on that list.

Can always claim Laundry up to $150 no receipts. You must wash your work clothes. Part the way there.

I'm already paying to much tax! No thanks...

take a $4000 drop in wages from your employer and get the Gov to give you this $4000 back, you will still have a net gain as you will be taxed on $4k less. so you gain and your employer gains, the tax man loses out, the Gov loses out and millions of tax payers lose out.

have a nice day now!

Can everyone please remember that this is on one of the sections of the forum where people come for advice, not opinions. If you would like to discuss the rights and wrongs of claiming benefits, please start a new post in the appropriate part of the forum and leave the OP to people who are actually answering their question. Nothing illegal is being discussed, so even if you don't agree, the op has every right to ask.

Did you not know the tax rules before you took on employment? they have been about for quite a while now.

There is nothing wrong with managing your tax affairs proactively and legally to reduce your tax.

We all do it by salary sacrifice and other ways.

I was wondering if you ask your employer hold on to your one month's salary every year and then pay you the combined salary of the 2 months in the next financial year.. and repeat the same process annually would it help!!!

Think that falls into the category of benefits fraud...