Help on narrowing down good Suburbs

Ashes88

Hi There,

Me, my husband and our two kids (7 and 2) plan on arriving in Melbourne early 2017.

We are looking at narrowing down some suburbs which are family friendly with good schools and safe. Our budget initially is between 300-350 PW.

The suburbs we are interested in at the moment are Pakenham, Frankston South, Clyde and Clyde North, Narren. I have seen a lot of mixed reviews on these suburbs. :wacko:

Please please advise and any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you in advance for your response. :smile:

Hi There,

Me, my husband and our two kids (7 and 2) plan on arriving in Melbourne early 2017.

We are looking at narrowing down some suburbs which are family friendly with good schools and safe. Our budget initially is between 300-350 PW.

The suburbs we are interested in at the moment are Pakenham, Frankston South, Clyde and Clyde North, Narren. I have seen a lot of mixed reviews on these suburbs. :wacko:

Please please advise and any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you in advance for your response. :smile:

Where are you going to be working? Pakenham and Clyde are very far out if you need to commute to the city daily. What are you looking for in a suburb? Near to train, shops, sporting facilities? Are you looking for new developments, old established areas? So many variables.

I live in the outer east suburbs of Melbourne. Its green and leafy with lots of bird life. I reckon its pretty safe. Of course there are good and bad bits but I have walked my streets at 3am and never felt unsafe. In the west of Melbourne there have been a lot of new developments which means young families.

Hi. We live in Frankston so happy to help with info for her, but as Zoot said, it will depend on where you are going to be working. All of these suburbs are fairly far out of town. But with that budget you are probably not going to get a 3 bed place much further in.

Personally, of all the suburbs you mentioned I would go with Frankston/Frankston South as it has good schools, and more amenities that some of the other suburbs. I haven't lived in the others but have heard very mixed reports about Clyde. I have an 8yo in primary school and a 12 year old just started high school this year, so feel free to ask any questions about the primary schools in this area. Happy to help.

I don't know Melbourne well, but if that's genuinely all you can afford, you will have to choose between a dubious suburb with mediocre schools, or go a long way out to the very edges of Melbourne, or squeeze into a one bedroom flat! I'd say that to get a decent house, in a nice suburb, with good schools and within a decent commute - you need to double it.

Edited by Marisawright