Buying a Rolex in the UK for Oz

gra001

My son Josh has 6 "dressy" watches. He wears a different one each time he goes on the town but at other times, he goes watchless and uses his phone. I've got a Seiko solar that Ive had for 9 yrs now and it hasn't missed a beat. I think I got lucky because it only cost me $39 in a sale so I think the dithery assistant must have missed putting a 0 on the end of the price tag

I have never understood the need to have a Rolex... Is it a "must have" because it is a mark of appreciation of good miniature engineering, or is it purely a status symbol?

I always used to wear a watch and felt "undressed" without it. I have a collection of watches that I have amassed over the years from the Omega I received as a 21st present from my parents through to a Citizen that was a 60th birthday present from said parents, and very many fun watches from the Mickey Mouse variety through to the bling encrusted evening variety. Since I retired though, I only ever wear a watch (usually the Citizen because it has a big face and I can read the numbers without my specs) if I have to be somewhere at a specific time. Now that my time is my own and I can apportion it to what I want and not the "employer" or others, time means nothing to me. I live by the sun/moon and eat when I want, so a Rolex would be wasted on me.

............I would say a Rolex is good miniature engineering.....

............mine is over 20 years old.......

............never fault ers......though I don't wear it....!

.............also have my fathers.......he always wore it.....never a problem with it...

............don't watch the time anymore.....

..............in fact I have a lovely collection of clocks......all saying different times lol....

.............the son has a breightling ,only because it has some bits on he needs for his job.....

..............for those that need a watch.......I would say Rolex has a good reputation for reliability....

Love a quality watch; they are probably my one indulgence and something I've been trying to reduce for a while as I ended up with too many before those pesky things like mortgage and children came along. Have you thought of buying secondhand for a meaningful year like her birth year? I've found that watches generally don't hold their new value and in my experience you can get a decent second hand one for a third or half the price of the equivalent new model (and if she's a 1980 model I have a lovely little diamond Rolex Datejust for sale). Check out the prices on secondhand dealers.

Don't under-estimate the power of sales either; my main watch (Omega Speedmaster) I got for 1/3 original price at Angus and Cootes in Melbourne as it was a superseded model and new years' sales.

Whether it is worth spending $5K for a watch though is debateable when you can get a reliable one for $100.

You could say that about absolutely everything. I have a bit of a indulgence for designer handbags, I don't know why, I just like them but I am sure I could carry my stuff around in a carrier bag too.

Maybe you should.

What I was thinking was with most things the more you spend you actually get a better result, although you do usually pay a lot for a small improvement.

Eg cameras, TVs, sound equipment, if you buy the best you get a better product out of it.

No matter how expensive the watch it still just tells you the time as well as a cheap watch.

Archived