moving to oz no longer viable and no longer value for money?

stacybird123

anyway for your information i have a uncle, cousins and two of my best mates have moved to oz so im hardly un informed and guess what the aussies ive met love me so there.

Nothing like blowing your own trumpet hey? how old are you? "so there" did you poke out your tongue as well???:biglaugh:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest moonraker1961

I think I will give this forum a miss for a while,Its getting abit too deep for me personally.For everyone thinking of emigrating,best to take the aussie attitude before you get there and lighten up lol Aussies are pretty well known for being easy going kinda folks (I'm one of them as are my kids)so can vouch for this myself lol!!!! Please people lets try and keep things bright and happy and positive and......yeah anything good !!!!! xxx

Guest littlesarah

Is the decision to move to the other side of the world a business one? Aus is such a long way from UK when you get a call to tell you that mum/dad/sister/brother is ill or dying...

I still feel that we'll be better off, though. Because I can earn the same amount $:£ as I do here, but things tend to cost less. My in-laws have been telling us that prices on Central Coast (NSW) have fallen somewhat, & in Sydney even more so. We're hoping to sell our house here in the next few months, and rent over there until we find a plot or suitable house. We'll still have a mortgage, but a much bigger piece of land with a larger house on it.

The main thing for me, though is that I'll get to spend my life in a country that totally stole my heart. In fact, just thinking about being there for good brings tears to my eyes. Leaving my family will be horrendous, & even if we're better off financially, it won't be the money that makes up for that particular heartache. On the bright side, there are so many gambling opportunities I might just win the lottery!!

Guest sandy25

Oh dear dear, what is going on here:policeman:

Hi Stacybird123,

I can see exactly where you're coming from. It sounds like you just want a better life, with no or less financial constraints or worry , in order to relax more and have more fun, without worrying about the future. Me too. That's why I'm wanting to emigrate, to get out of the rat race and enjoy life. There are too many obstacles in the way here. There seems to be too many judgments on the site at the moment, or misjudgments. I've been counting on the strength of the pound too, to help me achieve my dream, to work less hours and spend more time with my children. On the other hand money isn't everything. Years ago I backpacked, which gave me the 'richest' experience of my life, with the minimal of money or materials. I long for that FREEDOM again. I say take a leap of faith, enjoy the adventure and risk. Just do what you feel is right for YOU. Take care, Wendy:jiggy:

I am intrigued by the number of people who think life is going to be a laid back doddle here. You do know that Aus tops the list of hours worked NationMaster - Hours worked (most recent) by country dont you? We have fewer holiday days and it takes almost half as much work time to buy a tv set in UK than it does in Aus (dont you just love Nationmaster).

Aussies actually work very hard for the most part (except for the bludgers - an international phenomenon BTW) and if you are servicing a mortgage (much higher interest rates than UK) you wont be having that much R & R time unless you come here with a very substantial nest egg. I honestly cannot say that we have had more of a family ife here than we would have anywhere else - probably because we have both had to work to buy our own home, contribute (heavily) into superannuation so we will have a reasonably comfortable retirement and raised two kids with expensive tastes (competitive sport here can be a financial killer!). We have had far fewer holidays than my UK friends who always seem to be off junketing somewhere, I save up to go home to visit my aged relies and No 1 son (who has also had more holidays in his 6 years in UK than I have in 30 years here). For the most part this is not a 9 - 5 country.

Hi Quoll

Its not just about the work but your free time and what you do with it.

Geoffrey

Life is what you make it so enjoy it

what free time?, you will be too busy working your butt off, are you not listening to the advice we are getting on here from people who have actually made the move?

Yes i do not like negitivity and sorry if im coming accross blunt and maybe it does seem like i have a attitude, sorry if it does but its not like that i can assure you.................... and in life i reamain positive but then there is just plain old ignorance and you guys are just pretending at the mo because its within your comfortzone, some of you are setting yourselfs up for big disasters.

The biggest leading indicator you have right now is staring you in the face, why can't you see it?, uk and usa are world super powers in the financial world, oz has and will follow soon

why not wait and save yourself £50k within the next 3 years, some of you cannot wait due to family and i understand that, my sister is having the same issues with son, but if you have to then rent for a while is my advice and leave all funds here in uk as exchange rates are way oversold

you all very sensitive on here, you say i will not make it with my attitude well i think you guys need to toughen up abit, you will not make it unless you do, you'll be crying when all the stress comes, glad im stronger

what free time?, you will be too busy working your butt off, are you not listening to the advice we are getting on here from people who have actually made the move?

Yes i do not like negitivity and sorry if im coming accross blunt and maybe it does seem like i have a attitude, sorry if it does but its not like that i can assure you.................... and in life i reamain positive but then there is just plain old ignorance and you guys are just pretending at the mo because its within your comfortzone, some of you are setting yourselfs up for big disasters.

The biggest leading indicator you have right now is staring you in the face, why can't you see it?, uk and usa are world super powers in the financial world, oz has and will follow soon

why not wait and save yourself £50k within the next 3 years, some of you cannot wait due to family and i understand that, my sister is having the same issues with son, but if you have to then rent for a while is my advice and leave all funds here in uk as exchange rates are way oversold

Sorry maybe you dont know that im Australian, born and bread. i lived there for 28 years so i do know what Australia is all about, i know were to go out for very little and have a great day. I know what areas are good and bad, that you can buy a nice house for very little money and areas that i would like to live that i know i cant afford. I know about working long hours, and short. So maybe i dont need to take the advise as much as you?

So without taking it the wrong way you could make it in Australia if you wanted to. if you want the best of everything you will have to work hard even with an extra £50k because it will never be enough.

Life is to short but if you cant take that bitter pill of loosing money (that you have worked hard to get) stay in England but just remember in 3 to 5 years things may still not be right for the move? what then?

Good luck to you

Geoffrey

Nothing like blowing your own trumpet hey? how old are you? "so there" did you poke out your tongue as well???:biglaugh:

you know i was joking about with you, doing what you aussies do best whinding you up.

anyway sorry ok, i do not want to argue on here...........your right 3-5 years may still be the wrong time, i think im just going through a **** time right now and taking it out on this forum a bit, you just worry thats all but i shouldn't...........my opinions change daily right now, my mindset is proabably not right for posting right now....................anyway reading back my posts i can see i have been a bit too negitive so sorry tracy123, you have lived there too so know alot more than me.

These are true feelings im having right now thats all.

Would you like a love and cuddle? lol If you do need any help on an area etc im more than happy to see what i can find out for you. Melbourne is my home town but i have travelled around abit so never know

of all the places i have narrowed it down to mandurah in wa or helensvale in gold coast, i love them both...i gotta be near the beach.

of all the places i have narrowed it down to mandurah in wa or helensvale in gold coast, i love them both...i gotta be near the beach.

Hi i hate to admit defeat but i put up the white flag lol

The 2 areas you like have no homes at or under $200,000 i found a couple of 2 bedroom houses and a few appartments but nothing that looked great. you are looking at $300,000 plus to buy a house but i gather you know that already?

I guess you have the choice to wait and hope that your new life does not pass you by or go for it with a small morgage?

Good luck and best wishes

Geoffrey

Guest moonraker1961

All I can add to these threads is I totally agree with Quoll (hi lol),I have lived in Oz for 30 years,lived in the UK for 10 years,and husband has just submitted his PR.However we are still undecided to where we want to spend the rest of our lives.As Quoll has said,unless you have a huge nest egg ect,then its probably realistic to assume you will be working fulltime.For anyone who is emigrating,take note of the negative threads because we are speaking the truth,we know the facts,and if I was going to live somewhere I did'nt really know I would truly appreciate the good and bad threads,that way I could go with an open mind instead of a delusional one.

Hands up I HAVE NO MONEY and do you know what i dont care. In Australia i had 3 houses and a loan approved to buy another one, 2 brand new cars (one was a month old the other 6 months) all my furniture was brand new and expensive my kids had the best of everything we went away every year. I worked hard and at the end of the day it got me a devorce. Now i rent a house i stay at home and raise my kids (work part time) have 2 old cars and im happy now than i ever was with all that money. It just shows you dont get the point. Enjoy your money when you are old and lonely

Geoffrey

Gosh Geoff that is very good going for a 28 year old - most 28 year olds I know are far from even getting their foot on the first step of the property ladder let alone having had 3 houses. It certainly wouldnt be on the cards for a young public servant or teacher so you did really well - you obviously have skills that paid well. We were two hard working, well educated professionals and didnt even come close to that so I think that perhaps your experiences may lead new migrants to assume that what you had is what is on offer for everyone whereas it is not the norm but quite exceptional. Quite frankly I dont think I know anyone who had what you had.

Guest mandisfam
you know i was joking about with you, doing what you aussies do best whinding you up.

anyway sorry ok, i do not want to argue on here...........your right 3-5 years may still be the wrong time, i think im just going through a **** time right now and taking it out on this forum a bit, you just worry thats all but i shouldn't...........my opinions change daily right now, my mindset is proabably not right for posting right now....................anyway reading back my posts i can see i have been a bit too negitive so sorry tracy123, you have lived there too so know alot more than me.

These are true feelings im having right now thats all.

Hi, I have noted that you have even attempted to apologize to me for the personal comments you made about my posting methods.

I want to say I really hope you work things out for yourself and your family, you clearly have a lot buzzing through your mind at the moment. But I doubt you will believe me.

I guess at the end of day we all have different ambitions and dreams and whats right for one isn't always right for another.

I think most people who are heading for oz, are aware of the financial costs and implications, how can you not be, it all costs a hell of lot of money. The biggest problem most people face when they out in oz is the emotional side of things, missing family and friends, the remoteness of the country. Its quick to say its only a 24 hour flight away but when you are there (to which I have lived and work in oz) it might as well be 100 hour flight away. But thats a totally different issue to thread.

Mandisfam

Gosh Geoff that is very good going for a 28 year old - most 28 year olds I know are far from even getting their foot on the first step of the property ladder let alone having had 3 houses. It certainly wouldnt be on the cards for a young public servant or teacher so you did really well - you obviously have skills that paid well. We were two hard working, well educated professionals and didnt even come close to that so I think that perhaps your experiences may lead new migrants to assume that what you had is what is on offer for everyone whereas it is not the norm but quite exceptional. Quite frankly I dont think I know anyone who had what you had.

I met my ex wife at 18 we bought our 1st property at 20 in Melton. Victoria, We had that for 5 years in that time property went up alot bought our next one in Burnie in Tassie and prices exploded there, so we bought another one! Then we sold our Melton house and moved into a caravan and built our new house in point cook, that took a year The 2 rental propertys paid for them selves. I was a long distance truck driver my ex wife was a customer service adviser. We earnt between $2000 to $2500 a week between us, Its not hard if you work hard buy in the right areas you can do it. My plan was to buy a house every year till the age of 40 then cross fingers by the time i was 65 i would have them all paid off and be on easy street. But that didn't work! My brother who is 20 years older than me has 8 and he is still buying he was a prison officer.

Hope this answers your question

Geoffrey

I met my ex wife at 18 we bought our 1st property at 20 in Melton. Victoria, We had that for 5 years in that time property went up alot bought our next one in Burnie in Tassie and prices exploded there, so we bought another one! Then we sold our Melton house and moved into a caravan and built our new house in point cook, that took a year The 2 rental propertys paid for them selves. I was a long distance truck driver my ex wife was a customer service adviser. We earnt between $2000 to $2500 a week between us, Its not hard if you work hard buy in the right areas you can do it. My plan was to buy a house every year till the age of 40 then cross fingers by the time i was 65 i would have them all paid off and be on easy street. But that didn't work! My brother who is 20 years older than me has 8 and he is still buying he was a prison officer.

Hope this answers your question

Geoffrey

As I said, you had skills that many people dont have - $2500 a week is well beyond the capcity of many who will be migrating, with many actually quoting only $50 - $60K pa as being on offer for them. Obviously you and your wife had to work very hard for what you had and were able to buy at the bottom of the property boom which, again is not the scenario in Aus at the moment. I think you were very fortunate - new migrants cannot expect the same benefits without the same amount of work and everyone seems to be saying that they want a more relaxed lifestyle - doesnt sound like you had one. You would also have benefited from significantly lower interest rates than we are now experiencing. I also hear on the radio the problems facing the long distance haulage companies these days with the meteoric rise of fuel prices, especially those owner drivers who are really finding it hard to make ends meet - constant source of dissent from the talk back radio callers at the moment. I think the boom is over and life is going to be a bit tougher for all of us.

Guest Lui A xxx
As I said, you had skills that many people dont have - $2500 a week is well beyond the capcity of many who will be migrating, with many actually quoting only $50 - $60K pa as being on offer for them. Obviously you and your wife had to work very hard for what you had and were able to buy at the bottom of the property boom which, again is not the scenario in Aus at the moment. I think you were very fortunate - new migrants cannot expect the same benefits without the same amount of work and everyone seems to be saying that they want a more relaxed lifestyle - doesnt sound like you had one. You would also have benefited from significantly lower interest rates than we are now experiencing. I also hear on the radio the problems facing the long distance haulage companies these days with the meteoric rise of fuel prices, especially those owner drivers who are really finding it hard to make ends meet - constant source of dissent from the talk back radio callers at the moment. I think the boom is over and life is going to be a bit tougher for all of us.[/quote]

great post.................totally agree.............i also believe that life unfortunately is going to be a bit tough for all of us where ever we are............!!!........:arghh:

As I said, you had skills that many people dont have - $2500 a week is well beyond the capcity of many who will be migrating, with many actually quoting only $50 - $60K pa as being on offer for them. Obviously you and your wife had to work very hard for what you had and were able to buy at the bottom of the property boom which, again is not the scenario in Aus at the moment. I think you were very fortunate - new migrants cannot expect the same benefits without the same amount of work and everyone seems to be saying that they want a more relaxed lifestyle - doesnt sound like you had one. You would also have benefited from significantly lower interest rates than we are now experiencing. I also hear on the radio the problems facing the long distance haulage companies these days with the meteoric rise of fuel prices, especially those owner drivers who are really finding it hard to make ends meet - constant source of dissent from the talk back radio callers at the moment. I think the boom is over and life is going to be a bit tougher for all of us.

All the problems you talk about are happening in England with drivers, i can still get work though. in fact i get paid more than most because i wont go to work unless i get saturday rate. things still need to move. Im safe that way and they are finding it hard to get drivers (world wide problem)

No i didn't have a life, but i enjoyed my job. the time i did have off i made sure i spent with my kids. but I remember bringing home my truck for my sons birthday, my birthday, going out in my uniform so i was not late for work, i could go on. I would never do it again unless i really had to.

Whats wrong with renting why do we need a big house etc? is our family not enough? i lernt the hard way. In England i live in a council house I work part time i have 2 old cars nothing like what i had in Australia and im happy, and we own everything we have!

I want to go to Australia for my family. I know its not going to be easy, but i dont care. You start at the bottom and work your way up. I have said before, that people need to start right at the bottom and work there way up.

if someone wants to come over and start where they left off its not going to work unless they have alot of money. The people that seem to make are the ones looking for a fresh start.

If house prices are dropping or about to drop i wont even look at buying one until they hit rock bottom. Then i will get what i lost plus more, but i will be alot smarter about it. You need to learn from your mistakes.

Geoffrey

Im moving to Aus with not much money but the desire to work hard.

I have not been able to get on the property ladder in the UK and will hopefully achiev that once I move out there.

You are not going to get the standard of life you want or have been use to if go somewhere where you can live mortgage free.

Life anywhere is about creating the balance between life and work.

No place is easy and the hardest thing about the move to Aus will be leaving friends and family behind.

Sydney: the world's 10th best city - Travel - smh.com.au

Shows Sydney is still the 10th best city in the world!

Sorry Quoll i think you missed my point!

not once have i said its easy, I put what i did about the houses as a point,at the end of the day it was worth nothing. On the post before i spoke about my parents coming over in the 60's my brother coming over in the 80's and Australia not being paved in gold. My brother went backwards before getting on and that took 5 years. How is that easy? I had what i had because i worked hard and listened to people, and im not ashamed of that and im proud of what i acheived.

Most people on this site have their money through there houses and im sure if they had taken the risk they could have alot more wealth as could you!!! but its a huge risk.

I am nothing special and anyone can have it if they want the risk.

I would rather see people come out and rent first look around and buy a cheaper home and enjoy a better quality of life. A house is some where to lay your head and keep warm. Why have a huge morgage to keep up with the jones when you can go out and enjoy your weekend with the kids and not have to worry about working overtime?

Geoffrey

Guest JoanneHattersley

Its up to each individual and we are starting to go round in circles here!~

To the point I think enoughs enough guys!

Archived