moving to oz no longer viable and no longer value for money?

stacybird123

Moving to Aus has worked for us to - Like Johats and Cal, we're probably worse off financially if you compare our salaries here in Aus to the UK. We brought a fair bit of money with us, but aren't mortgage free, we could have been but we would have been buying a property purely on that basis and not in an area we really wanted to live and one where we would have felt comfortable.

Like others, we've found we now have more family time together, I'm a nurse and even though I had a community post in the UK as part of a crisis service I worked nights, and until 10pm in the evening. Here, I'm working day shifts, I'm home to have dinner with the kids every evening and after 26 years in the job I've actually gone part time - things I could not have done in the UK. We have gained a lot from the short time we've been in Aus.

Ali

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i know what your saying ali and we too would love it as we are easy going people who would see it through and having been actually out there we know we can fit right in...... but oz is due for a big correction soon, it's enivitable that it will follow usa and uk just like it has always done............Ive been doing alot of fundamental analysis on the subject and the current prices are not sustainable, at the moment it foreign investment that is driving the property market in oz, all us poms moving there but sooner or later (like now), people will start to hold back from buying or simply will not afford it, also interest rates are key, something will give soon....................I think personally if you can wait a while you may see what is happening in florida and usa, you may get a bargin..............Anyway house prices are already starting to fall in oz, sooner rather than later there will be a correction no doubt imo.

I have thought about renting out my house here and renting a house out there, this would be ok but still i personally think i will make the move in 3-5 years.

i know what your saying ali and we too would love it as we are easy going people who would see it through and having been actually out there we know we can fit right in...... but oz is due for a big correction soon, it's enivitable that it will follow usa and uk just like it has always done............Ive been doing alot of fundamental analysis on the subject and the current prices are not sustainable, at the moment it foreign investment that is driving the property market in oz, all us poms moving there but sooner or later (like now), people will start to hold back from buying or simply will not afford it, also interest rates are key, something will give soon....................I think personally if you can wait a while you may see what is happening in florida and usa, you may get a bargin..............Anyway house prices are already starting to fall in oz, sooner rather than later there will be a correction no doubt imo.

I have thought about renting out my house here and renting a house out there, this would be ok but still i personally think i will make the move in 3-5 years.

Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.

Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.

yes i can accept that but seriously i think many of you are thinking with your hearts rather than your heads, i can take discomforts and drawbacks no problem so long as they are not financial.

Whether you like it or not we all need money, with kids and a family you cannot get away from this............we all like to stick together because it feels comfortable to say things like 'money is not everything', the only people that say things like this in reality have no money.

Hands up I HAVE NO MONEY and do you know what i dont care. In Australia i had 3 houses and a loan approved to buy another one, 2 brand new cars (one was a month old the other 6 months) all my furniture was brand new and expensive my kids had the best of everything we went away every year. I worked hard and at the end of the day it got me a devorce. Now i rent a house i stay at home and raise my kids (work part time) have 2 old cars and im happyer now than i ever was with all that money. It just shows you dont get the point. Enjoy your money when you are old and lonely

Geoffrey

Hands up I HAVE NO MONEY and do you know what i dont care. In Australia i had 3 houses and a loan approved to buy another one, 2 brand new cars (one was a month old the other 6 months) all my furniture was brand new and expensive my kids had the best of everything we went away every year. I worked hard and at the end of the day it got me a devorce. Now i rent a house i stay at home and raise my kids (work part time) have 2 old cars and im happyer now than i ever was with all that money. It just shows you dont get the point. Enjoy your money when you are old and lonely

Geoffrey

no sorry you are missing the point.

what im saying is working hard like i did for years is overated.

I too would love to work from home and chill instead of the daily grind, im agreeing with you that being a work a holic with lots of fancy things is bull****. I d rather find a way, a lifestyle where i can relax and not be concerned with keeping up with the jones and frends and all that bull****, i would choose the life you have now too over the work a holic way you were before, of course this would lead to divorce.

You missed the original point, i would love to forget my pride and find a place or travel abit on a budget of £200 per week cos like i said i make this amount every week trading from home. I don't want to work no more, so really im agreeing with you.

Guest yvonne and paul
hi all

If you can make it in the uk you can make it anywhere.

Life is more than money yes we all need it to live but in the Uk you seem to need alot more of the stuff! You cant plan to far ahead in England due to the weather, when it comes to going out you seem to pay through the nose its hard to have a cheap day out.

In Australia i honestly beleive it is set up for the outdoors you can go out have a great day out for hardly nothing. Weekends, holidays you can be outside with the kids just kicking a ball etc, etc, etc you cant do this in the Uk most of the year due to the weather, its all the hidden costs that kill you in this country.

If you are going to Australia with a business head on dont bother, or moving anywhere else you will forever compare it to the Uk.

All the things you wanted were for you! the golf etc. i think with a move to Australia the kids will benefit the most they have a freedom when they get there, kids seem to stay kids for alot longer in Australia, they can ride there bike walk to school play with their mates do kids things and your not as worried about them.

As for what to do, you can wait your hole life and miss the boat things can get better or worse thats the joy of life you can plan and plan and something different will happen (something unplaned).

Enjoy your life you are a long time dead. what ever you want you can have if you put your mind to it,

Australia is not paved with gold it never has been, My Mum and Dad moved over in the 60's and had to work hard my brother moved to Australia in the 80's and had to work hard, he says it took him 5 years to get what he lost in England but now he has more than he could of ever dreamed of in England.

Geoffrey

Coulldn't agree more Geoffrey, our intenton is to move to Oz for a CHANGE of lifestyle, not the same as we have here!

My OH & I fully intend to work for our living, what that 'living' intails is up to us, here in the UK it's a high mortgage, long hours and little oportunity to enjoy the quality of life.

I am (hopfully) only half way through my life, I've got where I thought I wanted to be and I have realised there must be more to life, so for my kids sake (and to a certain extent my own) I am 'getting rid' of what I have and intend to start again.

Australia suits us just fine.

Paul.

Hi Kdal,

As I said, yes I probably did take it in the wrong context and apologise if my reply offended, but do hope you understand a little why.

Enjoy,

Mac

Hi Mac

I have read your other posts on here too (under this thread) and understand why you jumped as you did, and to be honest when I read your reply back to me this morning I did think there is something here deeper than just what I had said!

I for one Mac do not judge anyone and would never offend someone as I am a real softy and would hate to feel I had hurt anyone in anyway!

So with all that cleared up now, it looks like Stacey123 is going to hold on here for a while to see a change in the housing market and exchange rates, and good on him if he has the time to do that. Unfortunately for me, my children are 14 and 17 and have to move quickly as point 1 is their education it's a crucial time in their lives and point 2 they may fall in love and never want to leave the UK :no:

Good Luck all Kimx

I know that UK house prices and the exchange rate have both dropped, but the way I look at is that my money can always be replaced whereas my time can never be replaced.

Do you know something Beermesiter if we could all have this view (and mean it), the world would be a better place that's for sure and people would not have half the stress in their lifes as they have! I shall keep your comments in mind

Thank you!

Guest mandisfam

What an interesting read this thread has been.

I totally agree with Tracey123 (Geoffery) about if you can make it in the UK you can make it anywhere. And like Tracey123, we too have no money and as long as the bills are paid each month, we are happy.

Im sorry Stacybird123, but I really think you are looking for the impossible. Unless of course you are prepared to lower your standards a hell of a lot. I reckon a mud hut in indian will have you mortgage free and be cheap to run. The whole world is getting more expensive.

I wish we had £100k to go out with. To us that would be like living like Kings. There are many of us planning the move with as little as £10k to take with us. I guess you would think this just financial suicide. But there is one PIO user who went out with £2k and made it. So it just goes to show anything is possible.

I certainly not planning this move with my heart, we can't afford to. But there is more to life than money, I would rather spend my holidays in oz, kicking a ball around in the local park with my kids than flying them off on exotic holidays. Kids won't remember these places when they get older but they will remember you playing ball with them in the park.

I guess we all have different benchmarks in life. For us we have happy to just make the ends meet for others they want to make the ends meet and have some left over to tie pretty bows.

Good Luck, stacybird123, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Mandisfam

What an interesting read this thread has been.

I totally agree with Tracey123 (Geoffery) about if you can make it in the UK you can make it anywhere. And like Tracey123, we too have no money and as long as the bills are paid each month, we are happy.

Im sorry Stacybird123, but I really think you are looking for the impossible. Unless of course you are prepared to lower your standards a hell of a lot. I reckon a mud hut in indian will have you mortgage free and be cheap to run. The whole world is getting more expensive.

I wish we had £100k to go out with. To us that would be like living like Kings. There are many of us planning the move with as little as £10k to take with us. I guess you would think this just financial suicide. But there is one PIO user who went out with £2k and made it. So it just goes to show anything is possible.

I certainly not planning this move with my heart, we can't afford to. But there is more to life than money, I would rather spend my holidays in oz, kicking a ball around in the local park with my kids than flying them off on exotic holidays. Kids won't remember these places when they get older but they will remember you playing ball with them in the park.

I guess we all have different benchmarks in life. For us we have happy to just make the ends meet for others they want to make the ends meet and have some left over to tie pretty bows.

Good Luck, stacybird123, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Mandisfam

your right i think what im trying to achieve is impossible but still great to see others opinions as these are true feelings im having right now and the honest advice u get on this site is what i like, real people that are there or have come back, its great to hear their views as they are one step ahead of us all and actually made the move.

basically i don't think its financial suicide at all, i was not trying to be a snob saying i have 100k, to be honest i thought this was not much but hearing i have more than others who are doing it makes me feel safer.

i just don't want to work hard thats all, i honestly think its over rated, everyone says you gotta work hard in life, well i think differently.............i would rather have the time with my kids, time you cannot get back like everyone is saying here..........bottom line though is with taking nothing then you will have no choice but to work damn hard, and probably see your kids less so whats the point of that?

I tell you what im so grateful to the honest posts ive seen from members who have come back, they gave me a serious reality check some time ago after i too was feeling the way of many of you.

no sorry you are missing the point.

what im saying is working hard like i did for years is overated.

I too would love to work from home and chill instead of the daily grind, im agreeing with you that being a work a holic with lots of fancy things is bull****. I d rather find a way, a lifestyle where i can relax and not be concerned with keeping up with the jones and frends and all that bull****, i would choose the life you have now too over the work a holic way you were before, of course this would lead to divorce.

You missed the original point, i would love to forget my pride and find a place or travel abit on a budget of £200 per week cos like i said i make this amount every week trading from home. I don't want to work no more, so really im agreeing with you.

It seems to me you dont want to keep up with the Jones you want to be the jones.

Good luck

It seems to me you dont want to keep up with the Jones you want to be the jones.

Good luck

na mate, just being real thats all, you should try it some time

anyway can't be dealing with arguing on a forum , my mates will call me a sad o, so if the threads going this way then later.

Guest moonraker1961

Good luck Stacey I admire you.I have been struggling with working fulltime,having lived an alternative life in Oz for many years!You have to have a balance otherwise there is no point.Do whatever makes you happy pet,and best of luck xx

Guest mandisfam

Good luck

Hi, Please don't shot me down for saying this and Im not trying to cause an argument, but Im wondering if oz is the place for you. Nothing to do with money. But don't think tracy123 was trying to cause an argument at all. Forgive me tracy123 for sterotyping you but that is a typical aussie comment, and if you took offence from it, then I don't think you would last long in oz. Especially, as you are keen to stop working hard and have your cake and eat it so to speak.

Not saying there is anything wrong with wanting that, I really do wish you the very best of luck and hope you find your dream but from my experience of oz (maybe an aussie will put me right) the attitude is very much you work hard and you get rewarded.

Like I said Im not trying to cause an argument or upset with you, just giving you another view on things whilst you make your decision.

Mandisfam

Guest Weemac

anyway can't be dealing with arguing on a forum , my mates will call me a sad o, so if the threads going this way then later.

Nah,

Hang on in there on this thread....it has been a very good one to start and as the OP you should stick with it.

It did veer off a little (me unfortunately) but we manged to get it straight back on track again and the nuts of it is still being discussed.

My best mate from school moved to Adelaide area at the end of April, he had some money (not £100K mind) and is on a state sponsorship. By all accounts he and his family are doing well..mind you he is a grafter and the ultimate optimist. Arrived there with a little money and no job to go to...but as I said doing well.

I am the other side of the coin....I will arrive with the clothes on my back...but start work the next day.

Talking to my mate about a quandry I had I got a surprise by his reply...I was whingeing because I had a great job offer which I was over the moon with..then I got the opportunity of another offer...and was wondering which way to go!!

His reply "Oh my heart bleeds purple p*** for you"....When I asked why he reminded me that my problem was I had TOO MUCH choice....and he didn't even have a job!!

It put it in perspective for me and I accepted the initial job that I had been offered which all in all was the best option for someone in my circumstances. That's what mates are for!

Too much of something is often a much bigger problem than not enough.

Does this make sense????

Hi , OK I agree that you should not step down from the thread it is a good one as Weemac says.

Here's another stance on it. My sister moved to Australia her husband was a Police Officer and he hated the job with a passion in Australia although loved his job in the UK, anyway thats another story! He wanted to come back as the job just was not working out but by then my sis and the kids loved Australia and didnt want to leave. He came back for a reccie and was sooo confused he came to work with me one day, and said 'this is it' , 'What is it?' I said. Anyway he felt it was fate when he came back he has now opened a business the same as mine in Australia and it has taken of very well indeed, they are now having their new house built with pool and all the mod cons...

They started of with maybe not alot of fortune in their hands but now life is sweet! You may not have much here (not to you stacey123 but others) but you don't know what Aus may hold for you!

It's a gamble I know but good luck with what you decide to do

Regards

Im not arguing with you

You say you have put 2 yrs into it, at the moment its not right to come (fair play) and you could wait another 3 to 5 yrs? what happens then when its still not right? wait longer??? before you know it your oppertunity has gone. Then what your left with are the what ifs.

It seems to me that you want everything so you can do nothing or very little. I cant see that working but i wish you luck. :notworthy:

Geoffrey

I know where stacybird is coming from. We have a fair amount of money to bring over. Of course if we sell our house. Now house prices have dropped here in the UK. Instantly there is a loss of wedge. Second the exchange rates are naf. So again less wedge to take.

We intend to work. I want to retrain and study to be a speech therapist. My husband wants to do his job, get paid at the end of the week and that's that. He may even decide to retrain as something different himself.

But we want to have the financial start so there are no chains around our necks from the moment our new lives begin. I for one am sick of the 'what car do you drive?' and 'how big is your garden?' attitudes where I live. I want my kids to be kids and for me and my husband to enjoy their every waking minute. But I want the financial issues gone that we have here. Am from all of the problems going on our magical beginning is flittering away.

I am finding my point hard to explain here today. Perhaps I am due on!!!!!!!

Hi, Please don't shot me down for saying this and Im not trying to cause an argument, but Im wondering if oz is the place for you. Nothing to do with money. But don't think tracy123 was trying to cause an argument at all. Forgive me tracy123 for sterotyping you but that is a typical aussie comment, and if you took offence from it, then I don't think you would last long in oz. Especially, as you are keen to stop working hard and have your cake and eat it so to speak.

Not saying there is anything wrong with wanting that, I really do wish you the very best of luck and hope you find your dream but from my experience of oz (maybe an aussie will put me right) the attitude is very much you work hard and you get rewarded.

Like I said Im not trying to cause an argument or upset with you, just giving you another view on things whilst you make your decision.

Mandisfam

you talk about attitude, but what is worse being totally staight right down the line, telling it exactly how it is or pretending to be nice and just being false like you are in your posts, i know who i would trust.

anyway for your information i have a uncle, cousins and two of my best mates have moved to oz so im hardly un informed and guess what the aussies ive met love me so there.

have you personally been there and expeienced the culture for yourself like i have, i guess you have otherwise you would not make such presumptions

Guest mandisfam

hey, why do you have to be so nasty. I certainly wasn't being so to you, nor was I being false as you put it, how you work that out, I have no idea.

Never said you wouldn't be liked in oz, don't know where you got that from.

I did genuine meant what I said that I wish you the best of luck. But not so sure now.

Mandisfam

I am finding my point hard to explain here today. Perhaps I am due on!!!!!!!

OMG...CHOCOLATE ALERT!!

Anyway Saundersclan I think you post what a lot of people think.

Wendy

Sometimes I am not so sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have eaten cholcolate to the point of chocolate explosion today!

Please call me Kate. I forget sometimes to put my name at the bottom. I might try and do the signature thing soon.

Perhaps I am due on!!!!!!!

Think men and women alike are today we are all abit hormonal:biglaugh:. Perhaps we should all take a little break from this thread and come back tomorrow when we have all eaten lots of chocolate and had a nice night sleep!

Pass the thread over to our Aussie friends that should be awake and alert soon!:cool:

Archived