The new tory leader ?

bunbury61

Some of the conditions imposed by Norway on EU migrants http://www.lifeinnorway.net/move/immigration/immigration-europe/ In other words they would have to be certain their was some reliable works there, and therefor doubtful they would turn up in their thousands.

These sound similar to what May was trying to introduce, and may appease some uk nationals, but for the determined immigrant it is a low hurdle.

EU nationals of working age are more likely to be in work than UK nationals and non-EU citizens. About 78% of working age EU citizens in the UK are in work, compared to around 74% of UK nationals and 62% of people from outside the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/datablog/2015/nov/10/eu-migrants-on-benefits-separating-the-statistics-from-the-spin

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those conditions are purely cosmetic. You can pitch up without a job and be unemployed for six months. Then you just hop across to Sweden and back again for another six months. Or if you can't be bothered doing that, you just have to show you have funds to support yourself. Basically, anyone with an EU passport can live and work in Norway as they wish, subject to possibly having to do the visa run every six months.

Sounds a bit like the Australian tourist visa where you must go on holiday overseas to renew your visa. Always thought that was a bit pointless.

Those conditions are purely cosmetic. You can pitch up without a job and be unemployed for six months. Then you just hop across to Sweden and back again for another six months. Or if you can't be bothered doing that, you just have to show you have funds to support yourself. Basically, anyone with an EU passport can live and work in Norway as they wish, subject to possibly having to do the visa run every six months.

Maybe so, but what we do not know is how many people these rules have deterred from going in the first place, which is probably one of the reasons the rules were made so as to really only wanting the determined ones.

These sound similar to what May was trying to introduce, and may appease some uk nationals, but for the determined immigrant it is a low hurdle.

EU nationals of working age are more likely to be in work than UK nationals and non-EU citizens. About 78% of working age EU citizens in the UK are in work, compared to around 74% of UK nationals and 62% of people from outside the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/datablog/2015/nov/10/eu-migrants-on-benefits-separating-the-statistics-from-the-spin

But surely the 74% could be better if the 78% and 62% (or a proportion of) were not there in the first place?

Fortunately you are wrong. A new department has been created: the Department for International Trade. When coupled with the Department for Exiting the European Union and the Department for International Development, there's not much for Boris to do other than inspect embassies and drink cocktails - far away from the domestic political scene. He has been totally sidelined.

:laugh:.....no better way to start a day than with a good giggle....thank you.....:laugh:

But surely the 74% could be better if the 78% and 62% (or a proportion of) were not there in the first place?

Probably not. Because if we assume that most of the EU nationals who come to Britain are of working age then the net effect is going to be to grow the economy. If you got rid of them, the proportion of the UK population that is of working age would decrease, increasing the per capita dependence on welfare or pension payments, thereby increasing the need for tax, thereby contracting the economy. The increase in EU nationals, couples with exporting UK pensioners to sunny places, has been a shot in the arm for the UK economy.

Maybe so, but what we do not know is how many people these rules have deterred from going in the first place, which is probably one of the reasons the rules were made so as to really only wanting the determined ones.

I promise you, these rules were not made up to deter migrants - they were made up to mollify gullible Norwegian racists. People who want to migrate do so regardless of perceived bureaucratic hurdles - as this site testifies.

Did you check before making this claim......:laugh:

The difference is I am talking about something which might happen, whereas he is talking about something that didn't happen.

But I do concede I was being fliipant. But I do believe we will be affected by inflation from trade tariffs and currency devaluation, and I have yet to see a coherent argument saying we won't. All we have had is, we may have some pain, or of the EU will rollover, or now ceta , which is completely unsuitable

http://capx.co/the-canada-eu-trade-deal-is-no-model-for-brexit/

At the current state of affairs, it's not looking good.

But you be positive mate. It helped during the GFC didn't it? Although I made shed loads of money being negative during the GFC, and I'm doing okay on brexit so far.

The difference is I am talking about something which might happen, whereas he is talking about something that didn't happen.

But I do concede I was being fliipant. But I do believe we will be affected by inflation from trade tariffs and currency devaluation, and I have yet to see a coherent argument saying we won't. All we have had is, we may have some pain, or of the EU will rollover, or now ceta , which is completely unsuitable

But you be positive mate. It helped during the GFC didn't it? Although I made shed loads of money being negative during the GFC, and I'm doing okay on brexit so far.

Any links? or are they just your own guesses.

Probably not. Because if we assume that most of the EU nationals who come to Britain are of working age then the net effect is going to be to grow the economy. If you got rid of them, the proportion of the UK population that is of working age would decrease, increasing the per capita dependence on welfare or pension payments, thereby increasing the need for tax, thereby contracting the economy. The increase in EU nationals, couples with exporting UK pensioners to sunny places, has been a shot in the arm for the UK economy.

I cannot recall the UK economy being so bad prior to freedom of movement.

I still have trouble in understanding how, if pensioners take all their spending power out of the UK and keep taking their Gov pension out too, it is a shot in the arm to the UK economy.

I promise you, these rules were not made up to deter migrants - they were made up to mollify gullible Norwegian racists. People who want to migrate do so regardless of perceived bureaucratic hurdles - as this site testifies.

I would like to believe they were more of a control measure by reasonable thinking people, and in no way imposed by or for extremist views.

Flippant.......I prefer to call it bulls#it because that is basically what it is.

I do believe.....here in lies the real crux of the problem.....as was pointed out so majestically by PB.....its all guess work.....and more likely than not, someone elses guess work lol.....if you stuck to the facts.....what you know has happened rather than constant speculation and guess work on a subject that, lets face it.....you honestly have no idea what the outcome will be then you may not loose so much face when the dust has settled and this is all over.

but you be positive mate.....so what else do you suggest we be?.....hold our head in our hands, drop to our knees and cry our eyes out.....its just ridiculous really.....we have had a major event take place and all the so called economic experts crawl from the woodwork predicting doom and gloom and putting their own spin on future outcomes, some from the otherside of the world lol......ahhhh......you carry on making money on the back of someone elses misfortune and drop in from time to time with some financial updates.....we are all really keen to hear about your ever expanding portfolio......:dull:

Flippant.......I prefer to call it bulls#it because that is basically what it is.

I do believe.....here in lies the real crux of the problem.....as was pointed out so majestically by PB.....its all guess work.....and more likely than not, someone elses guess work lol.....if you stuck to the facts.....what you know has happened rather than constant speculation and guess work on a subject that, lets face it.....you honestly have no idea what the outcome will be then you may not loose so much face when the dust has settled and this is all over.

but you be positive mate.....so what else do you suggest we be?.....hold our head in our hands, drop to our knees and cry our eyes out.....its just ridiculous really.....we have had a major event take place and all the so called economic experts crawl from the woodwork predicting doom and gloom and putting their own spin on future outcomes, some from the otherside of the world lol......ahhhh......you carry on making money on the back of someone elses misfortune and drop in from time to time with some financial updates.....we are all really keen to hear about your ever expanding portfolio......:dull:

Hello mate, what we are talking about is an assessment of risk rather than indulging in a policy free fantasy of "it'll be right mate".

Hello mate, what we are talking about is an assessment of risk rather than indulging in a policy free fantasy of "it'll be right mate".

You think?

From what I can see it consists of several people sharing their mystic meg predictions (whilst playing 18 holes of golf lol) of doom, gloom, imminent failure and ridicule of anybody that voted to leave, immaterial of their reasoning.....if according to some they even had a "valid" reason lol

So what good does the above serve us?

Archived