Australian citizenship for child with autism

nicolo

We are permanent residents and planning to apply for Australian citizenship in October 2016. My son has speech delay so has been seeing a speech therapist and occupational therapist. He also saw a paediatrician and the doctor said he is showing some signs of autism but the doctor has not made a final/official diagnosis of autism.

Does having a diagnosis of autism be a reason for Immigration to deny my son to be an Australian Citizen? I know it has been grounds to deny permanent resident application but how about Australian Citizenship?

• Like 1

Good question.

Visa eligibility includes health criteria but Citizenship eligibility does not. Depending on the age of your child he may be included on your citizenship application (presuming you meet the eligibility requirements) and will be exempt from taking the Citizenship test and pledge.

See http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/pathways-processes/application-options/migrant-with-permanent-residence for the application process and document checklists.

Hi Nicolo,

I'd just add to Richard's reply that if it appears that details of your son's autism were withheld from the Department then there might be serious complications - the Department has been reviewing many old files to retrieve adverse information which it is raising at the time of application for citizenship - but unlike many congenital defects and disabilities, autism only becomes apparent during childhood and hopefully it won't be an issue for you.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi Nicolo,

I'd just add to Richard's reply that if it appears that details of your son's autism were withheld from the Department then there might be serious complications - the Department has been reviewing many old files to retrieve adverse information which it is raising at the time of application for citizenship - but unlike many congenital defects and disabilities, autism only becomes apparent during childhood and hopefully it won't be an issue for you.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Thanks for for the reply. When we applied and got our permanent residence my son who was only 2 years old was not yet doing any therapy as we did not suspect anything wrong so I think we did not withheld anything from Immigration as there was nothing to report. I am just concerned about the citizenship application if the current finding of the doctor will affect his citizenship application. He is now 3 years old.

Good question.

Visa eligibility includes health criteria but Citizenship eligibility does not. Depending on the age of your child he may be included on your citizenship application (presuming you meet the eligibility requirements) and will be exempt from taking the Citizenship test and pledge.

See http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/pathways-processes/application-options/migrant-with-permanent-residence for the application process and document checklists.

Thanks for the reply Ricco. I am glad there is no health criteria for citizenship.

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, codenamearis said:

Hi Nicolo, 

How did it go with you citizenship application? my friend have similar case and they are hesistant to get a diagnosis for their son? did it affect your cotizenship application? 

As above, there is no health criteria for citizenship.

16 hours ago, fergiep said:

We are just beginning our visa application and our son has autism...is this an issue regarding granting the visa?!?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using PomsinOz mobile app

There is a sort of catch 22 - if the child's needs are such that they are eligible for support in schools then the chances are the visa would be declined. If otoh you do get a visa, chances are they won't be getting any help in school. Some agents don't understand this as well as others. As has been said, George Lombard or Peter Bollard are the two who understand and have significant experience with medical issues and autism in particular.

Youll want to be sure you have a whole raft of current assessments - the diagnostic checklists, cognitive ability, current skill levels, adaptive behaviour etc because you're likely to be asked for more information.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 18/08/2017 at 14:01, Quoll said:

There is a sort of catch 22 - if the child's needs are such that they are eligible for support in schools then the chances are the visa would be declined. If otoh you do get a visa, chances are they won't be getting any help in school. Some agents don't understand this as well as others. As has been said, George Lombard or Peter Bollard are the two who understand and have significant experience with medical issues and autism in particular.

Youll want to be sure you have a whole raft of current assessments - the diagnostic checklists, cognitive ability, current skill levels, adaptive behaviour etc because you're likely to be asked for more information.

On 17/08/2017 at 21:15, fergiep said:

We are just beginning our visa application and our son has autism...is this an issue regarding granting the visa?!?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using PomsinOz mobile app

Hi there! 

May I know how is your application? I received an ITA for Visa 489 recently and I have never really foreseen this matter. I have been feeling so sad about it as my son has PDD NOS and this might cause us our visa, although he is really high functioning and we did not get a second opinion anymore. Also, he has been in mainstream school always and he has been included in the top 10 of his class for most of the time. I am really bothered at the moment, and the agency though they have asked me to proceed I would like to get insights from individuals with the same dilemma.

• 5 months later...
On 23/06/2016 at 13:11, George Lombard said:

Hi Nicolo,

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hello Mr. Lombard,

Greetings !!!

I am from India. We have applied for 189 AUS visa as Business ANalyst with 80 points.

Our process was going very smooth until we went for our medicals. We have twins 2 years old. One of my little one had a very compromised neonatal period.

She has motor developmental delay. Like she started independent sitting at the age of 15 months , standing at the age of 22 months. Otherwise she is very active child who responds to name, fair eye contact, follows all command, talk few words meaningful. She has some stiffness in her legs due to which she doesn't walk until now. As per doctors here the only treatment for her is physiotherapy. Her therapist is very happy the way she is catching on her milestones. The doctor at the clinic said that even mild stiffness in legs is called cerebral palsy but she is really not a bad case. The doctor put some comments on the  medical site and we were asked for developmental assessment. We went through the assessment and shared the report on emedical site and since then the  status is

Health assessed Wait for further advice from the department

Health examination results for this person have been assessed but further action may be required. The case officer will contact the person with further information.

Please suggest what are the chances of rejection or grant in this case.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

3 hours ago, Noop said:

Hello Mr. Lombard,

Greetings !!!

I am from India. We have applied for 189 AUS visa as Business ANalyst with 80 points.

Our process was going very smooth until we went for our medicals. We have twins 2 years old. One of my little one had a very compromised neonatal period.

She has motor developmental delay. Like she started independent sitting at the age of 15 months , standing at the age of 22 months. Otherwise she is very active child who responds to name, fair eye contact, follows all command, talk few words meaningful. She has some stiffness in her legs due to which she doesn't walk until now. As per doctors here the only treatment for her is physiotherapy. Her therapist is very happy the way she is catching on her milestones. The doctor at the clinic said that even mild stiffness in legs is called cerebral palsy but she is really not a bad case. The doctor put some comments on the  medical site and we were asked for developmental assessment. We went through the assessment and shared the report on emedical site and since then the  status is

Health examination results for this person have been assessed but further action may be required. The case officer will contact the person with further information.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

You will need to contact George directly and privately for advice 

• 6 months later...
6 hours ago, vani11 said:

Dear 

Can you please advise me if your citizenship went through.

I already have my PR 4 year now going to apply for Citizenship, my son was diagnosed in Australia born overseas.

Thanks

There isn’t any medical for citizenship, unless it’s changed very recently. The people above were trying to get their initial visa for Australia, which you already have.  As long as you meet the residency criteria and pass your citizenship test you should be fine.

On 03/12/2018 at 16:46, Noop said:

Hello Mr. Lombard,

Greetings !!!

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

@Noop any update on your case? can you share your contact details? did u contact George?