Looks like move to Oz is going to happen

Jonleahy

Hi Folks

I have watched the posts on this site at different times but it looks like this time me and my family really will be making the move to Oz

My wife is an Australian citizen, and so are both our kids (10 & 8).

So why am I writing?

I'm going to take voluntary redundancy from my work to fund the move, I'm 49.

I know it's a bit personal but roughly how much has it all cost people to move to Adelaide?

I can see the obvious things, spouse visa, container for household items, flights, and I'm roughly aware of some of the up front cash we will need for a bond for a rented house, school fees, and ambulance cover. I suppose I'm asking about in peoples experience costs that they didn't foresee.

We have two dogs and two cats that we would like to take as well.

We are planning to go to Adelaide close to my wife's family and we should be able to have somewhere to stay initially.

Can anyone recommend an area in Adelaide with good schools and house rental that isn't crazy money?

Thanks

Jonathan

Edited by Jonleahy

I can't comment on Adelaide, because I am in Sydney, but there are a few things which we hadn't really considered budgeting for, but which did cost a surprising amount of money.

Firslty, although you have considered things like shipping and bond on a rental, you will need to somehow furnish where you are moving to until your things arrive. You may well be able to borrow from family, but if you need things like cutlery, saucepans, brooms, and those sorts of things, they soon add up. Also re-stocking the pantry is something that we hadn't thought of in our budget, and which was surprisingly costly. We took for granted our well-stocked UK pantry, you don't notice buying bits here and there, but when you have nothing in the cupboard and need to start again from scratch, that can add up. The other thing you will need to budget for is school uniform and other school payments such as 'voluntary contributions' which aren't really voluntary. I would say I spend a little bit under $1000 per year or so on uniform (two girls - winter and summer uniforms, and also sport uniform for winter and summer). Although there is almost two years between my two, eldest is small and youngest is tall, so we usually have to get the same size for both rather than hand one down to the other. You will also need to find the money to buy their school books, for excursions and incursions, sports programs etc, and also out of school activities if they want to do swimming, gymnastics or anything like that.

I know that those things only seem small, but they are things that added up.

Thanks for that I suppose I'm used to being able to pick up relatively cheap school uniforms or parts there of from the like of Dunes or Primark.

Good point about the pantry and cutlery and things, ideally minimising the time from arrival of us and our container is what we can do

Thanks for that I suppose I'm used to being able to pick up relatively cheap school uniforms or parts there of from the like of Dunes or Primark.

Good point about the pantry and cutlery and things, ideally minimising the time from arrival of us and our container is what we can do

Don't rely on picking up cheap school uniforms, where I live in QLD all schools have branded uniforms that can only be bought in designated shops. These are by no means cheap e.g a school dress at our school is $50, Polo shirts about $25-30, shorts $20-25, school bag $50 and depending on the school there may be a formal uniform and a sports uniform.

The parents and schools seem to get together here and have a second hand school uniform shop. The kids that are leaving or grown out of things sell it off really cheaply. There are some who wouldn't dream of buying second hand but we got our kids used to it early. Both boys mind you, so not as fussy as girls.

Your costs before even setting foot in Adelaide will be pretty high given the things you list.

Research fully the costs of shipping 2 cats and 2 dogs from where you live to Adelaide. I'd be surprised if you see much change from £10,000 once you've paid pet shipping, vets fees, tests etc plus quarantine and then transporting 4 animals from quarantine in Melbourne to Adelaide.

I'd not really worry overly about school fees unless you are looking to go private. If you are opting for a state school at primary age is a few hundred dollars a year per child or thereabouts. This covers books, materials etc. School uniform can be bought second hand from school second hand shops or new via the school. I'd not buy any uniform before you move as honestly, the uniform is very different here (even school shorts are a different style and material and nowhere near as formal). Wait till you are here and have settled on a school.

If you are staying with family until your container arrives, I think you should be able to muddle through without having to buy anything to tide you over. We stayed with family for 7 months when we moved back over and our stuff arrived about 12 weeks after we did. We stored it in the shed and also unpacked some stuff we wanted to use. We didn't ship much furniture for this reason though so I got busy and found some lovely second hand furniture like tables and chairs, kitchen dresser and the like. We bought new sofas and a few other big items once we bought a house at the 7 month mark. Till then we made do with stuff we were given or picked up off Gumtree or the like. We did ship our KS bed, a blanket box, chair and desk. The rest, got here in some shape or form.

If you don't want the hassle of shipping all your furniture, be ruthless and whittle it down to the things you really want to keep and sell the rest before you move. Ship less and buy new or second hand once you are here and know what you need.

I'd ship my kitchen utensils, crockery and the like 10 times over rather than have to buy it all new here. We managed fine with stuff from family when we first arrived and I'd not want to shop for it all plus I am really picky about stuff for my kitchen and won't settle for something if its not to my liking.

With regards to area, its down to personal taste. I prefer not to divulge where we live on an open forum, same with the school we attend. We wanted to be away from the city and built up areas and so opted for a hills suburb surrounded by gum trees and open space. We are very happy with our school choice. Others prefer the beach or coastal living and settle that way, or in the city more, each to their own. Have you been to Adelaide before? Do you know what to expect of it?

If you are shipping animals I'd get the partner visa application in ASAP and set the wheels in motion for that to tie in with when you plan to move. And then you can tie in the rabies blood work, vaccines etc also for your animals so as it is all fitting in together. Off shore partner visa applications are currently officially running at 10-14 months but are coming through sooner than 10 months for some these days. But it can take longer so be prepared for this.

You can rent furniture and everything from teaspoons to washers if you need to.

Finding a rental that will take two cats and two dogs could be a challenge and probably easier in less metropolitan areas. I also agree that bringing them will add many thousands to the costs. Also cats are not particularly welcome by many and need to be kept inside especially at night, if yours are used to roaming free they may not settle well here.

other up front costs will include a car, insurance, driving licenses...

Where you settle may well depend on work and the commute you are prepared to do as well as schools.

Second what rammygirl said about it being hard to secure a rental with so many animals. More likely in the less metropolitan suburbs probably but still, 4 all up is quite a number to ask of a landlord. Dogs or cats, yes, but both may be a stumbling block. And yes, cats are often seen as pests, feral and unwanted on other peoples property. Those I know with cats keep them in as house cats or keep them confined to their own garden with a cat run or cat proof fencing. This is both to protect the local wildlife and also to keep them safe from harm due to traffic etc. I have yet to see a cat roaming in the neighbourhood around us here. I've seen one but it was a good 10 minute walk from our door to where the cat was out. Hardly anyone I know here keeps one, whereas in the UK, lots of our friends had at least one.

Factor in dog registration etc depending on the area. For example, Onkaparinga council has this on cats and dogs

http://onkaparingacity.com/onka/living_here/pets_animals/cats.jsp

http://onkaparingacity.com/onka/living_here/pets_animals/dogs.jsp

Thanks for the advice and tips everyone. I certainly will take on board the advice about the cats (one of the cat's is our wee girls pet) at the moment we have a cat / dog flap that the two cats and one of the dogs use at night.

The dogs are just so much part of the family but to get them over it looks very expensive.