Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

16 Neutral

About Jonleahy

  • Rank
    Senior Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Hi we were in a similar situation a number of years back my wife was over here on an ancestry visa just before it expired we applied for an extension but as far as I remember we also looked for her visa to be changed over to a partners visa. Before the visa was granted we had complications and my wife had to return to Australia. Long story short our local MP office had to get involved and my wife was granted with a 4 year extension / partner visa. As has been said the UK visa process is worse and ends up being more expensive than the Australian process.
  2. It is certainly something you have to be sure of and committed to, or even the smallest setback will appear to be insurmountable. A lot will depend on what part of Australia you are going to and what trade, qualifications and experience you have that is recognizable to employers over here.
  3. Hi all I apologize my information was incorrect, As a an Australian citizen you are now allowed to hold dual citizenship, I believe the information I was referring to was a previous permanent resident in Australia requires a returning resident visa and not required for a citizen. Dual citizenship in Australia as far as I can see has been allowed since 2002. Nemesis I should have referenced MSG34 and not you sorry again. I do sincerely apologize for any offense caused I did not intend to mislead anyone. As for gaining UK citizenship that depends on type of visa or residency you have been living in UK under and with all of them there are qualifying terms and conditions that are required, If you held "Indefinite leave to remain (ILR)) for example you have to be able to prove you have been in the UK as a permanent resident for at least two years with a no more than 90 days (I believe) in the last year outside the UK. and then you have to sit a citizenship test. Good luck and a Happy Christmas to everyone.
  4. Just read through this thread, be aware Nemesis that if your wife does get UK Citizenship, it may also complicate things when she tries to enter Australia as she will then technically require a returning resident visa, and may be required to wait the 100 week residents period before being eligible for some benefits from Centerlink.
  5. When you up load all your other documents Form 80 will either be "Required" or "recommended" our visa was granted with out uploading any form 80's but if you can easily get them filled out it can do no harm. We didn't upload any as on first reading it said it had to be filled out by Australian citizens but when I inquired about the form 80 just before my visa was granted the adviser on the telephone said they could be filled out by anyone who know you as a couple
  6. Jonleahy

    What do you think of this woman?

    Don't know her. Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  7. Jonleahy

    Benefits available to Permanent Residents

    Hi from digging around and asking around the rules were changed from the 1st January although people in Centerlink and a few other places were not too sure I arrived at the beginning of May and the "help" pages that Centerlink sent you to to check then still had the old statement in around about legal way that a subclass 100 visa holder was exempt from the 2 year sorry 104 week waiting period they then updated their web pages on 31st May
  8. Jonleahy

    Benefits available to Permanent Residents

    Yes a person whose visa was activated before 1st January 2017 is eligible for Newstart.(and still is amendment applied from 1st January) Centerlink were confused and their own webpages were only updated on 31st May to clarify that there was an amendment to the Social services act. Before that it stated (wrongly) that a subclass 100 visa holder was exempt from the New Arrival Resident Waiting Period NARWP It wasn't so much the financial payout I was inquiring about, (although I would be lying if I didn't say that would be useful) more the assistance to find work as any jobs I have applied for ... ever had a set application, whereas here you are required to submit a resume and attach a cover letter. I had never wrote a cover letter in my life before.
  9. Jonleahy

    Benefits available to Permanent Residents

    I see previously people on this site on 100 permanent resident have successfully claimed newstart benefits and were exempt of the 104 weeks waiting period. Has this changed since Dec 2015 or were these people just lucky
  10. I haven't really posted on here recently and of course as it happens there are a whole host of names that I don't recognize. Just an update on my circumstance I entered Australia yesterday and activated my Spouse (100) visa so after 7 months apart our family is back together.
  11. Jonleahy

    Who's right? the copper or the cyclist?

    Yes cyclists have rights to be on the road and yes too often cars don't give cyclists and bikes enough room, but they also need to have consideration for other road users. The attitude of the cyclists here in my opinion is unnecessary he is being argumentative and arrogant. Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  12. Congratulations you can relax now. Five months is a good timeline as well.
  13. Jonleahy

    VISA advice to move to live/work in Aus

    You apply for the bridging visa after the submitting the spouse visa it allows you to continue to live and work in Australia while the authorities process / decide on the outcome of your spouse de facto visa. The only thing I can suggest about weather a company will employ you more than 6 months is explained the visa situation on your cover letter when applying for the job. Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  14. Jonleahy

    VISA advice to move to live/work in Aus

    Yes spouse visa is expensive but is two in one from what I understand initially in your circumstances a temporary visa would be issued which would allow you to work then in two years time you update the immiaccount and apply for a permanent visa I don't think there is any more fees to pay. (I don't know this for sure but that's what I understand happens) as for applying for this visa the key evidence is likely to be a joint bank account named on each others car insurance and each others wills. Also 888 forms from a number of people. Another option to get to Oz sooner is to go the years working holiday do similar actions - set up joint bank accounts etc. Then apply for onshore de facto visa which is more expensive again than applying off shore and takes longer to process but in meantime apply for a bridging visa. Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  15. Yes I think your stressful wait will soon be over. I just think the wait is made so much worse (unnecessary so) by the process having no rhythm nor reason. Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk