Shipping cats

Backtoback

A word of warning - Australian attitudes to cats are a bit different. You'll still find plenty of cat-lovers, but some people can be very intolerant due to the risk to wildlife. You'll be expected to keep the cat indoors from before dusk (which is when Australian wildlife is most active) to dawn, and put a bell on its collar. Telling people "my cat doesn't hunt" won't cut any ice! In the country, people may shoot cats without checking whether they're feral or not so you can't let your cat wander.

Just telling you this because it's going to be expensive to transport your cats and if they're used to roaming free, they may not be happy with a more restricted lifestyle in Oz. Unlike dogs, cats usually adapt very well to rehoming and won't pine for you (although I know you'd like to think otherwise!) so for some cats, it may actually be kinder to find a new home than to subject them to a stressful journey and then have to restrict their freedoms.

Only you know your cats and the life they like to lead, just mentioning it so you know. If you decide to ship then I'd recommend sticking with the companies recommended on these forums, they've got a lot of positive reviews.

Edited by Marisawright

A word of warning - Australian attitudes to cats are a bit different. You'll still find plenty of cat-lovers, but some people can be very intolerant due to the risk to wildlife. You'll be expected to keep the cat indoors from before dusk (which is when Australian wildlife is most active) to dawn, and put a bell on its collar. Telling people "my cat doesn't hunt" won't cut any ice! In the country, people may shoot cats without checking whether they're feral or not so you can't let your cat wander.

Just telling you this because it's going to be expensive to transport your cats and if they're used to roaming free, they may not be happy with a more restricted lifestyle in Oz. Unlike dogs, cats usually adapt very well to rehoming and won't pine for you (although I know you'd like to think otherwise!) so for some cats, it may actually be kinder to find a new home than to subject them to a stressful journey and then have to restrict their freedoms.

Only you know your cats and the life they like to lead, just mentioning it so you know. If you decide to ship then I'd recommend sticking with the companies recommended on these forums, they've got a lot of positive reviews.

We havespersians 1 white and silver shaded and 1 blue with blue shading they're 99% indoor cats and only go in the garden (monitored) to eat some grass and then back in doors and this is only 2-3 times a week for 10 mins or so at most and never left alone, partly because persians don;t fare well as an outdoor cat and partly because people steal persians.

I have 3 cats and the cost was just too much - over £2000 per cat :( Unfortunately I am having to rehome them, which is really difficult too.

Is it really that much? Have you gotten quotes from a few shipping companies?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, hope you don't mind me jumping in. Just wanted to say thanks, really useful. We have two young tabbys that even with bells are still successful hunters and you have just convinced me the 4k investment to bring them with us would be a mistake, got to explain this to the kids now [emoji53]

Sent from my 5051X using Tapatalk

Wow... I've never even heard about that. I mean, never ever. Not even a word.

Hi, hope you don't mind me jumping in. Just wanted to say thanks, really useful. We have two young tabbys that even with bells are still successful hunters and you have just convinced me the 4k investment to bring them with us would be a mistake, got to explain this to the kids now [emoji53]

That's just too sad. On the other hand, such a decision might just save their life.

Guest The Pom Queen

That's just too sad. On the other hand, such a decision might just save their life.

It isn't as bad as it sounds but Marisa is right in that people expect them to be indoor cats.

Guest The Pom Queen
Yes it is that much! quaratine per cat - with the current rubbish exchange rate was £950 per cat.

Plus the airfares for bot £2500

Then vet bills on top £500

Total approx £4900

Quarantine really needs to reduce their prices it's ridiculous

Yes it is that much! quaratine per cat - with the current rubbish exchange rate was £950 per cat.

Plus the airfares for bot £2500

Then vet bills on top £500

Total approx £4900

Ah ok, you were including quarantine in the price. That is apart from the pet shipping and isn't included in the pet shipping quotes normally. Its something totally apart from it. I was going out from pet shipping only, not the quarantine costs also.

Most of my neighbours will treat any cat that wanders into their yard with contempt. They will chase them off, leave their dogs to chase them away or turn the hose on and soak them or some such. Mainly as they see them as pests and a threat to wildlife and so not wanted around. We hardly see any cats outside of peoples houses. Its rare to spot a cat roaming around in our neighbourhood. All the people I know who keep cats here keep them as indoor pets. Not allowed out at all.