i have bad credit ...any advice

Guest mickymoo

Guest mickymoo

Hello everyone

its my first post on pio,just a little bit of advice if anyone has any. Im hoping to go to oz with my wife and 2 kids on her job.We havent started anything (visa wise yet) just testing the water..can anyone tell me is it hard to get credit in oz as i cant get credit in uk. I was thinking of going bankrupt as the debts are over my head.But now my wife has this big idea of moving to oz im worried that me going bankrupt will effect us .

My wife also cant get credit but she is trying to pay as much off as she can over the next 2 yrs

any advice guys thanks in advance

Guest gothicqueen
Hello everyone

its my first post on pio,just a little bit of advice if anyone has any. Im hoping to go to oz with my wife and 2 kids on her job.We havent started anything (visa wise yet) just testing the water..can anyone tell me is it hard to get credit in oz as i cant get credit in uk. I was thinking of going bankrupt as the debts are over my head.But now my wife has this big idea of moving to oz im worried that me going bankrupt will effect us .

My wife also cant get credit but she is trying to pay as much off as she can over the next 2 yrs

Hi and welcome, as far as Im aware its a clean sheet when you go to Oz, we were advised to open up an australian bank account beofre we go to get abit of a credit history started there, but just so you are aware its not a cheap process getting the whole visa application together and if you are going with an agent you can be looking at around £5k with the fees and meds and what have you and thats before flights and sending your belongings and what have you, so if you are struggling abit now, it might be hard to fund it all, I must admit its what we are finding the hardest at the mo! hope that helps :wubclub:

Guest kdal

HI & A Warm welcome to PIO

Dont think your credit rating will follow you to Oz, however I did think that you had to declare if you had been made Bankrupt or not, but not too sure on that one?

Why dont you start of by phoning and agent for some free advice and see how the land lies.

Good luck with it all !

Hi Mickymoo, welcome to PIO.

I couldn't see from your post if you have sought professional advice about your situation, but that's what I would strongly recommend so you have a clear idea of

what the best course of action would be for you as a family.

If you do decide to seek advice, the National Debtline, Consumer Credit Counselling Service and CAB all offer it free - don't pay a fee-charging debt advice company to tell you what you can find out for nothing. I'm sure they will be able to put you in touch with someone who has experience of the questions you need answers to.

Best of luck with your plans for Oz!

Mrs Tyke xx

Hello everyone

You will get f*** all credit for at least 6 months till you get work history dont even bother

Guest its getting better
You will get f*** all credit for at least 6 months till you get work history dont even bother

Dont bother what????:wacko:

Not Always the case...we secured a Mortgage after being in the country for 3 weeks...and when we opened our bank accounts we were offered a $10,000 credit card limit.

You arrive with a clean sheet...but if you are bankrupt you will have to declare it.

I would contact CAB who will give you free advice...they will contact your creditors with a revised payment plan....then pay off as much as you can...when you move to Oz just continue with the payments by transfering money over...I think this is the more sensible option.

I am pretty sure going bankrupt is the worse thing you can do in regards to getting a visa and coming here ,

i have come across quite alot of people who have left debt in the uk and started a new life here,you do start with a clean slate here regardless of what happened in the uk,i know one family who worked a payment plan out and pay so much a month off their uk debts ,i dont know the ins and outs of it all though ,sorry

Cal x

I am pretty sure going bankrupt is the worse thing you can do in regards to getting a visa and coming here ,

i have come across quite alot of people who have left debt in the uk and started a new life here,you do start with a clean slate here regardless of what happened in the uk,i know one family who worked a payment plan out and pay so much a month off their uk debts ,i dont know the ins and outs of it all though ,sorry

Cal x

And sorry but don't think for a second that if you try and leave your debt behind that your creditors won't track you down! I used to do this for a job (for my sins) and I still managed to track down an address and phone number for people who'd emigrated and thought they couldn't easily be found!!! Your creditors will pay companies to find you.... best to deal with the matter before you go....

Like others have said...get advice from a free debt advisor AND get a free phone consultation from a migration agent... then you can put a plan of action together.....

I guess it depends how much debt you have - but if you REALLY want to emigrate then you will find a way to do it.

Guest earlswood

Cal x

You have to declare you are a bankrupt and I am sure it will hit your chances of getting over here to zero....much better to try and pay of your debts before applying....or have an arragement to pay them off while you are over here working.

Guest mickymoo

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all your advice....CHARMEDP3 i was thinking of going bankrupt not running away from my debts to oz,i know that creditors can always find you so i dont want my wife to follow her dream and be looking over our shoulders but thanks vey much for the advice.

I think i will seek as much legal advice and do the right thing by trying to pay as much as i can afford

best wishes everyone and thanks

If you are really staring at bankruptcy then how are you planning on funding the application process, and airfare?

If your finances are already stretched to a point where you are just about paying as much as you can afford to your loans then its hard to see how you can afford the application process and actually moving there, £6,000 is not an unreasonable figure, I've actually budgeted £10,000.

Unless you have a sound financial plan it sounds like there is a very strong possibility that you could arrive on Australia in a far worst financial position than you are in now, especially when you consider that Australian interest rates are so much higher than here in the UK.... and personally if I was looking at bankruptcy then the last thing on my mind when moving to Oz would be getting more credit.

Guest Colette Scotland

Hi guys,

Moved from the uk over a year ago now and we were in the exact same boat as you guys are (and many more in the uk if they would only admit it!!!). We have been fine getting credit, the interest can be a little high to begin with but you can refinance after about 6 months and it then drops.

It has been great starting again and all the money you earn is yours and not going straight to bills. It is fab starting again and we wont make that mistake again!!!!

All the best

Col

Guest Guest12551

hi all, i dont know much about all this debt stuff but i was told my my visa agent that if u are bankcrupt then it does seriously go against your chances of enetering oz... as for leaving debt here, a friend of mines girlfriend moved to oz 2 yrs ago.. paid off her bank loans but not here credit card, and also bought a few things on credit too (laptops etc) she must of run up about £10k in various forms,, and yet she has never had anyone chasing her for money...she did tell me that theres no laws there to force her to pay it back cos shes not in the uk now(permenant oz resident), im not condoning this behaviour but makes you think doesnt it !!!..lol:nah:

you could always look into an iva, then all interest etc is frozen and you just pay it off in a much more manageable amount, however if you miss any payments it can lead to being bankrupt. all you can do is pay what you can and seek advice as others have recommended

Guest BGrad

You should try to sort out your finances before you leave because doing it over seas would just make it more difficult and it would follow you to the Oz if you don't figure them out! Your credit history follows you whereever you go, sad to say. You could look into debt consolidation or and IVA before you leave and try to get it sorted that way so at least you won't have any defaulted debts. Heres more info on that if you want to look into that: What To Do If You Are In Debt - moneto.eu

and for the IVA this is a good site to read up on

Invidual Voluntary Arrangement - Free IVA advice - IVA advice - IVA Information

I believe that if you file for bankruptcy, or choose one of these options it will be better for your whole families financial situation than if you just try to sort it later.

Hope this helps :)

You should try to sort out your finances before you leave because doing it over seas would just make it more difficult and it would follow you to the Oz if you don't figure them out! Your credit history follows you whereever you go, sad to say. You could look into debt consolidation or and IVA before you leave and try to get it sorted that way so at least you won't have any defaulted debts. Heres more info on that if you want to look into that: What To Do If You Are In Debt - moneto.eu

and for the IVA this is a good site to read up on

Invidual Voluntary Arrangement - Free IVA advice - IVA advice - IVA Information

I believe that if you file for bankruptcy, or choose one of these options it will be better for your whole families financial situation than if you just try to sort it later.

Hope this helps :)

you start with no credit history good site your iva site goog firm

Guest donovan
You should try to sort out your finances before you leave because doing it over seas would just make it more difficult and it would follow you to the Oz if you don't figure them out! Your credit history follows you whereever you go, sad to say.

Load of tosh, You start a clean slate when you get to Oz, they cant look into your uk credit history due to the data protection act. Austrailia doesn't have an arrangement with the UK to pass on confidential data, Canada and Germany have. I know that a lot of the worldwide banks are linked, ( yorkshire bank is owned by an Oz bank ) but they still cant get the info. I know of someone who had a business go bust then went personally bust, he emigrated and got a mortgage and credit card within 3 months of being in Oz. I am planning to emigrate later this year and I have debts, gonna get an iva to sort it out, that way it is legally binding, I have heard of folk running away with there debts but I wouldn't want to be looking over my shoulder all the time, I think the British companies can sell the debt on to Oz debt agencies and they take it over. Never actually met someone who has done that yet but i would be interested to know someone

Hiya Humpy

I have also hear by reading on other sites this, but I have also heard that most ozzy debt collectors will not take the debt on, in fear that the people would leave the country, how true this is I really don't know.

Sarah x

• 4 weeks later...
Guest oz2008

Hi,

i have just been reading this thread and am now very confused and worried. I thought uk bankruptcy didn't effect you in OZ or is it that it doesn't effect your visa but does effect you obtaining credit. This may have been naive of me. The helplines such as national debtline don't know enough about emigration to advise properly.

Guest cityfan

if have you a house to sell.....and are fortunate enough to have some equity....then you can pay off debts and not look back once you get to oz.....you will not get away with leaving debt in the uk...they will find you.....on the visa applications i have looked into it states you must have $25,000 for applicant and $5000 for any others coming with you....xxx

Guest cantwait
on the visa applications i have looked into it states you must have $25,000 for applicant and $5000 for any others coming with you....xxx

This is only for State Sponsored Visas

Guest oz2008

Hi,

i think you misunderstood me. I unfortunately had to declare bankruptcy two years ago. i have now been discharged from this. i have enough points for a skilled independent visa and wondered if my past problem would affect my chances of getting a visa as this isn't a question they ask on the application. i will not be working in a finance related industry.

Archived