Why did we completely ignore East Melbourne?

Kenfrapin

So while we had an absolutely amazing time in Melbourne, having stayed in Epping and the CBD, this morning I took a deep breathe and started looking at the East after reading so much on this forum.

In a word, me thinks we made a big mistake not even looking at places in the East. Not so much south east but exactly to the right of the CBD. As reminder, we dont want a huge plot and dont mind townhouses. So looking at 250sq metre plots with townhouses (independent and not semis), there are some lovely options in the $600k to $700k region.

Some places for example : From Box Hill and surrounds upto Ringwood east, the furthest point taking about 40 mins into CBD

OR places like Keysborough, Glen Waverly, Chadstone and around also seem fine

We will zero in on newer estates in these suburbs because we prefer newer bland estates but, and I know this has been discussed many times, any quick links on articles/material so we know which areas to avoid will be useful

Fun busy hectic times ahead for us......

KnK

In Epping you will get a lovely new house on a new estate with developing infrastructure, pretty rubbish public transport and a long trek by car to the CBD. In the East you will get a railway line pushing 150 years old, complete infrastructure, capital growth, good schools and real shopping centres of the Westfield type rather than the Epping Plaza type. Your house will cost you more for what you get - no question. But the risk you run out on the Northern edges is that your house will not appreciate quickly as your potential buyers can build a new one around the corner. In the East there are not so many new estates as the land is not there. But there are plenty of town houses built in the last 15 years. You have a broad range of suburbs there. The median price in Glen and Mount Waverley is about a million - because you are paying a premium for the schools. Keysborough is not in the same league for convenience. Have a good look at Ringwood, Croydon, Bayswater. Nice and green, brilliant facilities, great access to the city and a freeway to the beach. And appreciating rapidly.

By the way, if you think Melbourne is nice already, you will really like the East - it is prettier

I stayed with a friend in Toorak when I was over doing a reckie about where to move to. Now that was beautiful ....wow the mansions ! I really loved melbourne but I loved brisbane too....its tough trying to decide. What are the most affordable places near melbourne CBD but are not too far out or rough? Oh I liked chadstone great shopping centre! I was actually working with a new rep today who was from melbourne who is living in England and today my best mate gave a hitch hiker from Melbourne a lift to fort william...random!

There are over 100 suburbs in Melbourne with a median price over $1million. Most of them are within 15km of the CBD. It depends on a lot of things. There are not many 'rough' areas at all - but everyone's view of that is different. One person's street art is another person's crime ridden graffiti!

It also depends if you need a 1 bed flat or a 4 bed house and whether you care about schools. Renting is often cheaper than buying in these suburbs. Australian landlords do not expect or get the same return as UK landlords so the rent is almost always less than the mortgage payments on the same house.

If you liked the feel of Toorak you have been spoiled for other suburbs - best rob a bank!

There are over 100 suburbs in Melbourne with a median price over $1million. Most of them are within 15km of the CBD. It depends on a lot of things. There are not many 'rough' areas at all - but everyone's view of that is different. One person's street art is another person's crime ridden graffiti!

It also depends if you need a 1 bed flat or a 4 bed house and whether you care about schools. Renting is often cheaper than buying in these suburbs. Australian landlords do not expect or get the same return as UK landlords so the rent is almost always less than the mortgage payments on the same house.

If you liked the feel of Toorak you have been spoiled for other suburbs - best rob a bank!

I want a house with 3 bedrooms! I am from.Glasgow so i am sure my rough is rough. I know toorak is way outa my budget but it was nice living the dream for a few days ??? we have no kids as yet but plan to settle and have a family in Auz some point next 3 years but initially we want to rent a house big enough for family friends to visit. I want to see if Melbourne is do able or maybe i need to consider somehwere less expensive so we can get a decent sized house

I want a house with 3 bedrooms! I am from.Glasgow so i am sure my rough is rough. I know toorak is way outa my budget but it was nice living the dream for a few days  we have no kids as yet but plan to settle and have a family in Auz some point next 3 years but initially we want to rent a house big enough for family friends to visit. I want to see if Melbourne is do able or maybe i need to consider somehwere less expensive so we can get a decent sized house

I don't think you need to worry too much about rough....Melbourne is 100km wide - there is housing for every budget, and not all jobs are in the CBD either.

Depends where you work, I always think that the people who do not have to work in the CBD are the lucky ones. My husband did not work in the CBD and we always lived 20 minute drive from his work. I was also fortunate to be able to get work in the outer suburbs as well and did not have a long commute. I like to visit the inner city but I love leaving it and coming back to the Mornington Peninsula. Nothing like having everything at your finger tips and green fields as well. When summer comes and the hoards come down in their cars for the day in the long traffic jams I think how lucky I am that it never happens to me.

In Epping you will get a lovely new house on a new estate with developing infrastructure, pretty rubbish public transport and a long trek by car to the CBD. In the East you will get a railway line pushing 150 years old, complete infrastructure, capital growth, good schools and real shopping centres of the Westfield type rather than the Epping Plaza type. Your house will cost you more for what you get - no question. But the risk you run out on the Northern edges is that your house will not appreciate quickly as your potential buyers can build a new one around the corner. In the East there are not so many new estates as the land is not there. But there are plenty of town houses built in the last 15 years. You have a broad range of suburbs there. The median price in Glen and Mount Waverley is about a million - because you are paying a premium for the schools. Keysborough is not in the same league for convenience. Have a good look at Ringwood, Croydon, Bayswater. Nice and green, brilliant facilities, great access to the city and a freeway to the beach. And appreciating rapidly.

Well we really didnt find any problem with the amount of infrastructure at Epping, it had just enough to give us confidence. And we are not buying looking for immediate capital appreciation, we will buy a place to live in for the foreseeable future, and probably move only in worse case scenario 10 to 15 years down the line so that aspect doesnt bother us.

I would prefer being near to the beach but the reason we are looking to the East is distance to CBD, as most of the kind of work I do in IT will be there. If we have a choice, which we have now, I would prefer being in the middle of enough roads and options to not travel more than 30 to 45 mins to work, which the East offers in abundance. What we dont like though are really old suburbs, roads with a lot of electric poles and shabby looking streets. There is a fine balance between pretty, rustic and shabby so its down to personal taste.

Thanks for the additional towns to looks at, noted and on our list :wink:

Near Keysborough but much nicer and still on new estates - try Waterways Estate (junction of Governor and Springvale roads) and the Epsom Park Estate in Mordialloc.

BB

Thanks a ton BB, feel free to throw more names at me so we have a long enough list to go through once we are there. Our plan is to rent in or around the CBD, the initial idea of renting in Epping is soon fading as we wont have the luxury to travel and explore as freely. So CBD as base, explore the East and immediate North, waiting until I find out where we end up working before we decide our final resting place!!!

KnK

Thanks a ton BB, feel free to throw more names at me so we have a long enough list to go through once we are there. Our plan is to rent in or around the CBD, the initial idea of renting in Epping is soon fading as we wont have the luxury to travel and explore as freely. So CBD as base, explore the East and immediate North, waiting until I find out where we end up working before we decide our final resting place!!!

Keep us up to date, please! My oh is just like you, loves the "new and bland", so I'll be watching your progress with interest.

Just I think that whole area, Springvale, Noble Park, Keysborough, Dandenong etc is not the best.

A poorer rougher area.

Eastern Suburbs are much nicer.

Thank you and understood.

How would you compare these areas with Epping/Lalor/Coburg/Craigeburn? This will give me a better idea of how you compare different places

KnK

Just I think that whole area, Springvale, Noble Park, Keysborough, Dandenong etc is not the best.

A poorer rougher area.

Eastern Suburbs are much nicer.

I'm obviously having trouble reading my compass. If Springvale, Noble Park, Keysborough & Dandenong aren't Eastern Suburbs - in which direction are they?

I'm obviously having trouble reading my compass. If Springvale, Noble Park, Keysborough & Dandenong aren't Eastern Suburbs - in which direction are they?

They are known as South Eastern - we use the whole compass except the South West because it is a bit wet that way....

All are east but basing my centre as the city or CBD these places are south east rather than east. I also prefer little more definition than just saying everything falls under Eastern suburbs.

KnK

Another thing to watch out for is covenants. They run with the title to the land and they aim to make subdivisions have similar types of housing. That is they can say that you are not allowed to have a front fence, in Lysterfield there is an estate where you cannot have any down pipes seen from the road, you cannot fix your car in front of your house and any caravan has to be kept out of site. In Langwarrin there is an estate where you are not allowed to keep cats. In Keysborough Waterways you are not allowed to have cats. Waterways is nice but I do not like it as its surrounded by industrial land and heavy traffic roads. Chelsea Heights Patterson Lakes better option. Other covenants are size of the house on the land, colour of the roof, have to have tiles not steel. So may things so just be aware of these when looking to buy a home. In Cranbourne no cats in Botanic Ridge.

Also if buying in the new bland estates, check the internet capabilities, a lot of people buy and then find out that their internet is woeful in the area. As a rule of thumb nearer to the towers is better, outer rim of towers drop out.

Older areas with new housing close by are the best as they have access to the most infrastructure. Newer areas have problems with kindergarten places, large class sizes, etc as the demographic is usually of similar age group.

Happy house hunting

• 1 month later...
Guest Priscilla101
All are east but basing my centre as the city or CBD these places are south east rather than east. I also prefer little more definition than just saying everything falls under Eastern suburbs.

KnK

Hey how's it going? Are you ready to fly yet? I've managed to move things faster and am heading out from Newcastle on 14th. Scary times.

Hey how's it going? Are you ready to fly yet? I've managed to move things faster and am heading out from Newcastle on 14th. Scary times.

Unfortunately stuck in a rut waiting for the house sale to go happen, dont even have a confirmed buyer. Cant rent out as we have the HTB 20% govt part to pay off before we can even think of letting it out

So timelines have moved but plans remain the same. Will look to rent in Southbank or Richmond or Prahran and explore the east, working a few additional months in the UK means some more money to take with us which is always a good thing. The only unfortunate part is our life in a limbo phase continues for few more months

Wish you the very best and have fun settling in !!!!!

KnK