Loved the working holiday - I NEED MORE OF AUSTRALIA!

danieldavies

Hello to all fellow forum members,

I am Daniel, born in Ireland, moved to the UK as a child basically living all my life here.

I was on a working holiday in Australia last year and like most (I guess) - I dream to return there big time. Currently looking for sponsorship in the ICT field where I have some years of experience.

Will probably discuss more of my background in other posts as I would be actively looking for advice on how to migrate Downunder for the long term. Just one off-topic thing - how are people in OZ so nice? Should be the weather I guess, rainy London days definitely create cloudy people, and the sunny weather - warm ones.

:cool:

Looking forward to seeing you in other threads!

Thanks for reading!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sponsorship is rarely the best option if you want a permanent move as it is usually only a temporary visa. Have you checked to see what visas you are eligible for? Is your occupation on one of the skills occupation lists?

Thanks for the welcome!

I may be wrong but I assume an initial 2 year period applies for the sponsorship visa. It can be extended if the employer is still willing to sponsor me for 2 more years - which totals 4 years. And being this handsome (and modest) I can get married in Australia, hopefully. I was sent a skills occupation list which had IT professionals there - and I believe I have good experience and CV for an OZ employer to want to sponsor me.

Haven't thought of other options - what else is there for me? 25y/o - 4 years of IT experience - unmarried - just finishing a bachelors degree... I think of myself as generally eligible :D

Are you reading Computer Science, Daniel? If so, that might help ease things up for you if your experience is related to one of the ANZSCO codes for IT that are on the SOL.

( I ask, as I brought myself up to speed to submit my own 189 for 261311 not so long ago - you could be closer than you think to a permanent residence visa, if the stars align )

Thanks for the welcome!

I may be wrong but I assume an initial 2 year period applies for the sponsorship visa. It can be extended if the employer is still willing to sponsor me for 2 more years - which totals 4 years. And being this handsome (and modest) I can get married in Australia, hopefully. I was sent a skills occupation list which had IT professionals there - and I believe I have good experience and CV for an OZ employer to want to sponsor me.

Haven't thought of other options - what else is there for me? 25y/o - 4 years of IT experience - unmarried - just finishing a bachelors degree... I think of myself as generally eligible :D

The 457 visa can be for anything from a day to four years but it only lasts as long as the job lasts so is never guaranteed. It is also very hard to secure sponsorship from outside the country, as far as I know there are no particular shortages in IT.

You just might not find an Australian to marry, so worth thinking about skilled migration if a permanent move is your end goal.

If your skills are on the SOL, have a look at the skills assessment information on the ACS website to see if you have sufficient quals and experience.

If your skills are not on the SOL but are on the CSOL then look to see if the skill is on the state sponsorship lists. If not then an employer sponsor is the only option - it won't be easy but depending on your skills your best bet is to contact the big consultancies that have a presence in Australia directly. I worked in IT for BT for example and they sponsored a lot of people from the UK and India.

• 1 month later...

Just one off-topic thing - how are people in OZ so nice? Should be the weather I guess, rainy London days definitely create cloudy people, and the sunny weather - warm ones.

:cool:

Thanks for reading!

Yeah, I've always thought Australians were far more welcoming and pleasant than the people I met in London - despite having been in London 8 years it took much longer to make friends than it did in Melbourne. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule...

Yeah, I've always thought Australians were far more welcoming and pleasant than the people I met in London - despite having been in London 8 years it took much longer to make friends than it did in Melbourne. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule...

You said it...."london" move north and you will meet people who are so different. I found london not very friendly.

Archived