5 year plan..... Hopefully!

Nannacat

Hi everyone,

We we are a family of 4. Husband 36 a plant/HGV fitter, me 34 a medical secretary and 2 children aged 11 and nearly 16. We have ummed and arred about moving to Oz since 2004!!!!! and we got to the stage of having hubby's skills assesed by TRA in 2012. He got this and we kind of chickened out of taking it further and carried on with our lives. It still comes up now and again and we chat, discuss the pros and cons of a move and we either talk ourselves into it or out ha ha.

Now for the 5 year plan! We have decided that we, 1st need to actually set foot in oz (may hate it so no need for plan after that) so a reccie is needed (have always thought WA would suit us as a family after Internet research!!!) then save for visas and money to go with (if reccie goes well).

Our eldest will be nearly 21 by this time so she may not want to come but if she did (with the rules that apply today) would she be able to come with us if she still lived at home?

Thank you in advance for any replies

NC

Nothing to do with her living at home. She will only be seen as a dependant if she is still in full time education. This would include university. If for economy she was 19 and unemployed she's still not a dependant as she can work, claim benefits etc.

Do try to visit the East Coast as well, WA is struggling at the moment, hopefully by the time you are ready to go things will have picked up, but if not you'll at least have a feel for some other parts of Australia, each major city has a different feel too, so you may find you prefer one over the others.

First, your daughter. She would need to be in full time education or she wont be regarded as dependent and would get a visa.

Second, I would look more at the east coast at the moment as the downturn in mining is hitting WA and for your husbands occupation that would be particularly bad - lots of HGV fitters made redundant.

Thank you for your replies.

With regard to our eldest we would need to seek advice I suppose as to how she could come with us as she would be in employment by the time she is 21 so would be "independent"

Hubby will be in his early 40's by then and would be looking for a more managerial role or may even use his HGV licences and drive trucks (is a foreman now) and yes we are hoping to visit "all corners" of oz to get a feel for the place....

Excellent advice so far, I am very grateful

Thank you for your replies.

With regard to our eldest we would need to seek advice I suppose as to how she could come with us as she would be in employment by the time she is 21 so would be "independent"

Hubby will be in his early 40's by then and would be looking for a more managerial role or may even use his HGV licences and drive trucks (is a foreman now) and yes we are hoping to visit "all corners" of oz to get a feel for the place....

Excellent advice so far, I am very grateful

She won't be able to come with you if she is in employment by then. You need to rethink your five year time frame on this and get the visa before she leaves education. You don't have to move then, but you should plan to get the visa. Delaying also increases the risk of one child ping to stay behind, perhaps this one or the next one even depending on how the rest are.

I wouldn't worry too much about what work you plan to do, the visa will be granted on your history not your intention. Once you have visa you can do as you like.

I agree with Bung. Getting the visa now may be imperative. We have all seen many cases over the years where a child hasn't been able to get on the parents visa. However, once the visa is granted, you have to make a validation trip within 12 months of the police report or medical - which ever is earlier and then you have 5 years from the date of grant to make the move.

The other important things to consider are age - once your husband reaches 45, it can be impossible to get the visa as most people can not get enough points as there are no points for age awarded from age 45. The second is the occupation list. At the moment i am confident his occupation is on the list, but, the lists change every year and occupations are removed. If you wait too long, you may well find that it is no longer on the list.

It seems madness to delay - why wait? I appreciate you may have your reasons to delay the move, university for your daughter maybe? But not to delay getting a visa.

I would also think twice about wasting money on a reccie - just plan to arrive with enough money to live on for 3-6 months are have a look about when you arrive.

I have never known anyone come back off a reccie and change their mind, Australia is a great country to go on holiday & that is basically all a reccie is. If you're loaded fine but otherwise save the money and move sooner.

As Lady Rainicorn says, I can't see the point of a reccie. It's very hard to come for a reccie and resist the temptation to treat it as half-holiday, half-research - and the holiday part is such fun, it's only going to make you keener, even if some of your research makes you worry a tiny bit.

I would get the visa, then all of you go and visit on an activation trip. That gives you a chance to do that reccie, and you'll then have a few years to do the saving up and preparation. That way your daughter will be safely included on your visa and your hubby won't be worrying about his points score falling.

I know getting the visa isn't cheap and you may think it's mad to spend that money if you 're not sure - but honestly, the cost of the visa is peanuts compared to the total cost of migrating (most families find it costs them $30,000 to $50,000 all up). If you're going to worry about visa fees then you can't afford to migrate!

It seems madness to delay - why wait? I appreciate you may have your reasons to delay the move, university for your daughter maybe? But not to delay getting a visa.

I would also think twice about wasting money on a reccie - just plan to arrive with enough money to live on for 3-6 months are have a look about when you arrive.

I have never known anyone come back off a reccie and change their mind, Australia is a great country to go on holiday & that is basically all a reccie is. If you're loaded fine but otherwise save the money and move sooner.

Though we did a recce I fully agree with this.

Our reccie was to narrow down schools in a specific area and suburbs and to help 'sell' the idea to our then 10 year old daughter. We both knew that we were definitely making the move and the recce was also a visa validation trip. It does add substantially to the costs.

It does seem that you have both been kicking this particular can down the road for a long time and I wonder if there really is sufficient enthusiasm for such a big move. I always contend that it is much harder to make the move a success unless both partners are fully committed to it (especially if there are older kids too) as treating the whole thing as an adventure potentially moving back can be tough on children's education.

Once we had made the decision to go for it we could hardly wait for it to happen. Our UK life felt like it was 'on hold' to a large extent. The thought of making it a 5 year plan (if you don't have to do that; some do) would not have entered our heads. Is there a specific reason for waiting 5 years or is there perhaps a hope that something will happen in that time which prevents you from making the move thereby effectively taking the decision out of your hands perhaps.

• 2 weeks later...

Some really interesting replies, which I am thank full for. We are going to apply for the 189/190 visa (need to do a bit more research on which we would apply for, swaying towards 189 though).

We are both very committed it's just life has got in the way until now..... We are more fininacialy stable and no longer have a house to sell. We are going to apply for the visa and go from there! It's so exciting and nerve racking all at the same time

nerve racking

How nice to see someone get the phrase right - because it is about having your nerves stretched out on a rack, not whipped with seaweed as so many people would have us believe.

Good luck with the visas and the move!

Archived