Real estate jobs... How hard is it to get one?

Kel121178

So my idea of migrating to the East Coast as a dental nurse didn't work out so I'm going with my second option.... I'm a qualified real estate agent in the uk and have 5 years experience al be it some is more than 10 years ago, I've just signed up here (in the uk) again to get myself re certified and will have that within the next 6 months. Can anyone tell me how competitive the the jobs market is as I think I may still need a sponsor? Any help or advice would be appreciated

So my idea of migrating to the East Coast as a dental nurse didn't work out so I'm going with my second option.... I'm a qualified real estate agent in the uk and have 5 years experience al be it some is more than 10 years ago, I've just signed up here (in the uk) again to get myself re certified and will have that within the next 6 months. Can anyone tell me how competitive the the jobs market is as I think I may still need a sponsor? Any help or advice would be appreciated

I'm no expert, but I've a feeling you can only count your work experience over the last 10 years, might be worth looking at that.

Unfortunately I would think your chances of findng an employer sponsor in an occupation you have not worked in for over ten years would be slim to remote. I am also not sure it would pass muster with immigration even if you did find one.

I'll have this years experience along with my cert. so that's an additional year and my up to date cert, it must count for something?
I think you'll find you need 3 years in the last 10 to get any points at all for experience.

It's competitive but I think you will be ok regarding experience. You can put your experience down which you have lots of and they usually want just a recent reference and you will have that.

I'll have this years experience along with my cert. so that's an additional year and my up to date cert, it must count for something?

Well no harm in trying. But it is nigh on impossible for most peple to find a willing employer sponsor from overseas.

It is very, very difficult to find an employer willing to sponsor you in most occupations.

Think about it - why should an employer wait months and go through heaps of paperwork to hire you, if they can find a local applicant who can start work next month with no hassle? Most employers will settle for a less-qualified local person rather than jump through all the hoops of sponsorship.

So you'd have to be good, really good, to convince an employer it's worth hiring you rather than training up someone local. That's why your sales track record would need to be stellar - and even then, they might be worried that your experience is in the UK and you know nothing about the Australian property system.

Why did the dental nurse thing not work out?

Mind you, is there any way I could get a visa, then go out to look for work or is it the case I have to have an employment offer first?

The reality is, I would be amazed if anyone would sponsor a realestate agent. First, you would need to get an Oz license, then they are normally commission only jobs, then, agents in places such as WA where there is a housing downturn are being laid off. So, no shortage of agents why would one spend some fairly serious cash in order to sponsor - assuming of course that that can qualify for to sponsor as I suspect a lot wouldn't and then wait for months for you to be able to start work. When an ad in a local paper would get a good response from local people.

No Experience Needed to be A real Estate Agent in Australia.Being In Jail For Fraud May Help JOKE.They even gave me a job and i have alway been a truck Driver.But u have to work to get a sale.Picking People up and driving them everywhere,to maybe 5 house at a time.Yeah That was in 1986 when times here were tough for owner drivers.But Anybody can Get A job As a Real estate agent, There's no wages you get paid commision. I don't think Real Estate Agents are on the Most wanted list in Australia are they?Wouldn't think u would get a sponsor for a Real Estate Job .They send u on a course for a certificate and you get it, if you don't fall asleep.What do Agents Do In the UK? We went out with one once. To a empty house she didn't even know what stock they had.Then when we phoned up to look at another occupied house, you had to find it yourself.And if the Owner was in you got to look at it.If not you couldn't see it. What Qualifications do you have for that?In the UK the Real Estate Office Does Not hold any keys.Over here once the Contract is signed ,it's legal and binding,if finance, pest and building inspections are done within 14 days.But u can get it all done in 14 days.Unlike the UK it Takes Forever unless it's a auction.

That's kinda true, over in uk u have to be certified and know property law etc, we hold keys, value properties not just for sale but probate and divorce, then pretty much the same as au for financing etc, we have to know the property and area and we get a wage and commission... Reading some of the job adverts on seek I assumed it was very similar as a wage and commission is offered? If there's too many real estates then why is it on the skills list? Maybe it will be off in July then when the list changes

That's kinda true, over in uk u have to be certified and know property law etc, we hold keys, value properties not just for sale but probate and divorce, then pretty much the same as au for financing etc, we have to know the property and area and we get a wage and commission... Reading some of the job adverts on seek I assumed it was very similar as a wage and commission is offered? If there's too many real estates then why is it on the skills list? Maybe it will be off in July then when the list changes

Just because it's on the skills list doesn't mean there is a shortage, you'd think it would, but that's not how it is, after all, if you turn up and can't find a job it's no skin of the governments nose, they've still had several thousand $ out of you.

If there's too many real estates then why is it on the skills list? Maybe it will be off in July then when the list changes

You tell us! The problem is that the government is very slow to change the lists in response to changing job shortages. Look at accountants - accountants are ten a penny in Australia, yet they are still on the list. They are considering removing it, but they still have not done it.

It's really disheartening as I want to go and work not go and sponge off the state... Just wish there was another way to do it or wish the skills list would be accurately updated! Seems it's far easier for people to migrate to uk than it is to the other side of the world...

Never confuse the skills lists with actual job availability. My own occupation is still on it even though we have over 40% unemployment.

From my experience of realestate agents in Australia there not very skilled to say the least.

Mind you, is there any way I could get a visa, then go out to look for work or is it the case I have to have an employment offer first?

Many people get the visa first and then look for jobs later, practically everyone who applies as a skilled migrant in fact. However you have to be in an occupation on the lists and be able to pass a skills assessment for that job.

This does not appear to be an option for you because you are not in an occupation on the list and even if you did get back into real estate it is an occupation that would require sponsorship by a state or employer but no states are sponsoring real estate agents at the moment.

Is it hard to make the move from dental nurse to dental hygienist? Perhaps with some further training and a move into that area you could look at this again in the future as a hygienist.

It's really disheartening as I want to go and work not go and sponge off the state... Just wish there was another way to do it or wish the skills list would be accurately updated! Seems it's far easier for people to migrate to uk than it is to the other side of the world...

Speaking as someone who's recently had to get her spouse into the UK, it isn't easier.

It's easy for Europeans to migrate to the UK. For anyone else, it's much harder to get into the UK than it is for Brits to get into Australia. It would've been easier for me to get my hubby into Italy than it was to get him into the UK, and I'm a British citizen!

I'd rather go real estate route to be honest, but could increase the field to principle if I did another course? That's for the time being at least on the list

Unfortunately what you would rather do is not going to come into it. The chances of emigrating with a career in Real Estate are virtually zero. The real estate agent and real estate principal are both on CSOL with no states currently sponsoring for either. As such I think it makes no difference to your chances of success.

Dental hygienist on the other hand is on not just the CSOL but SOL as well, indicating much better prospect. With the big caveat that I have no idea what is involved to change direction from nurse to hygienist?

Archived