Shopping bags

JEM44

Hi there all, now this is a strange question I know but...

when end we went to Australia one thing that shocked me was how many carrier bags the supermarkets used.

Here in the UK I have lots of those Hessian type shopping bags which I use every week. Our container went last week but the bags are still here being used.

So so my question is, can I bring them with me in our luggage? I don't think I could live with constantly going through a ton of carrier bags every week!

Thanks

Laura

when end we went to Australia one thing that shocked me was how many carrier bags the supermarkets used.

Here in the UK I have lots of those Hessian type shopping bags which I use every week. Our container went last week but the bags are still here being used.

So so my question is, can I bring them with me in our luggage? I don't think I could live with constantly going through a ton of carrier bags every week!

Thanks

Laura

I dont see why not,

But declare them when you land.

Worst case senario, they are taken from you.

If you dont declare, and they are taken, you will get fined too.

Moral of the story, declare everything......

When we landed i ticked the first box asking 'Are you carrying cocaine, steriods, weed or any illegal drug'

The immigration chappy asked why i had ticked that box.

I told him we had steriod cream for my little boys eczema.

Ok was the answer, he didn't even ask to see it.

Biosecurity asked the same question, i gave the same answer, again, wasnt asked to produce it.

We did get a very good sniff over by the dogs though......

You should be fine but definitely declare! I brought a bag made of tapa cloth back from the USA which I didn't declare and a biosecurity officer spotted it when I got some declared items out of my suitcase. He tapped it over a sheet of paper and, horror, a couple of tiny dead insects fell out!! All good, he neither seized nor fined, just told me to freeze the bag for a couple of hours to be sure. I genuinely didn't know tapa was plant material, and had declared other wood stuff anyway.

Dmjg lol! I had the exact same when we returned from the USA once and had a huge tube of high strength steroid cream! Perhaps it would save everyone's time if the words "(excluding topical skin creams)" were added to the form!

I don't think I could live with constantly going through a ton of carrier bags every week!

If your hessian bags are taken by the quarantine service, you will be able to buy more here. The polypropolene type are the most common reusable supermarket bags here: I've been using those for at least 20 years. Laws differ between states. I'm not sure of the current situation elsewhere but in this state single use bags have been banned and supermarkets charge for each (reuseable) bag required if you don't bring your own.

We have gotten a lot of bags for life since being here. They are widely sold/given away and lots of people use them, least where we are. Hessian, cloth and more. Its not like Aus stores don't know what they are or don't sell them. You'd not have to buy carrier bags each week or anything close to that once you are here. Just go find some bags for life locally and start putting them to use.

You want a carrier bag here you pay for it. And its not a crappy single use thing so you can reuse it lots and then once its done can put it in the supermarket bag recycling point.

Sure bring your hessian ones, declare them to be safe but realise given the material they may or may not be allowed in. Or would have to be treated so a bit of an expense. Of course they may be fine but hard to know.

We left all our bags for life with my parents who use them still. And I got mostly new ones since being here. I do have one or two of the very large Sainsbury bags for life floating round but mostly use those for the beach and other things as they are so big.

They will give you carrier bags IF you dont provide your own bags. I notice at the supermarket that every other customer brings their bags with them, it is 'common knowledge' to take your own bags. Personally i have 3 or 4 cool bags and a handful of the material Woolys / Coles bags so rarely need to be given carrier bags. When and if i do they are then used as garbage bags.

Not sure id bother shipping any, they are cents to buy here and all big stores sell them.

Cal x

Thanks

Laura

I bought a few of the hessian type backs back last time we returned from holiday declared them as wasn't sure if they were allowed but all was good. So yes bring but declare them to be on the safe side. Hubby was pleased because the something to declare line was very short so we got out real quick.

I don't think I would bother with a declaration for the sake of a few used shopping bags. Give them away and get new ones when you are here. You cannot use priority lines at immigration if you have declared anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived