Moving back to the UK

Jennie Louise Wright

Anyway the point is the OP shouldn't have any fears of she returns with her kids, I am sure she can wade through the tidal wave of doom and gloom and the endless Pound shops, oh and let's not forget the traffic. Ironically there is less traffic where we are now than back in Brisbane. Amazingly even lots of Australia's choose to live here voluntarily, I know it's hard to believe but it's true.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure what you mean by 'you live in a paddock' because we dont. It's quite a bizarre thing to say really.

Pretty sure you live in Shropshire -- fairly rural part of the country..

P.S. no offense meant just didn't think you were comparing apples and apples.

I live in a very rural part of the country. Why is it OK to say the traffic in the UK is horrendous when in actual fact in very many places it is far from horrendous ? If I said the traffic in Australia is awful 20 people would jump down my throat and say it depends where you are. Exactly ;)

I live in a very rural part of the country. Why is it OK to say the traffic in the UK is horrendous when in actual fact in very many places it is far from horrendous ? If I said the traffic in Australia is awful 20 people would jump down my throat and say it depends where you are. Exactly ;)

I would have to say that compared to Sydney (which has the busiest traffic in Australia), we find the traffic right across the South of England absolutely terrifying.

I would have to say that compared to Sydney (which has the busiest traffic in Australia), we find the traffic right across the South of England absolutely terrifying.

Well you see Sydney we reckoned was the worst place we had ever driven and that includes London.

Have to say, I haven't had any bad traffic experiences yet and we are South East - Windsor.

I go down the M4 every day to and from work.

This morning I dropped my wife in London and then came back out of it to work and although there was a lot of traffic, it was moving fine - did 70 all the way up and down the M4.

Only issue we seem to get is in Windsor itself if unlucky enough to get stuck behind the Household Cavalry exercising the horses.

Well you see Sydney we reckoned was the worst place we had ever driven and that includes London.

I would agree with that. Once you get away from the tacky harbour tourist area, its grotty and congested, graffiti and rubbish everywhere, not much to see, much more like an older more dated and chaotic version of Perth.

I remember going there excited to see the legendary Bondi & Manly beaches and left feeling somewhat let down. Took us half the day to get there too. the traffic was bad, much worse than London.

Even though Perth is a quiet town and behind the times somewhat, I have to say Perth is much better than Sydney.

I am also not a fan of London either but I would choose it over Sydney any day. At least it has character.

Only issue we seem to get is in Windsor itself if unlucky enough to get stuck behind the Household Cavalry exercising the horses.

I wouldn't mind that :rolleyes: much better than being stuck on the West Gate trying to get into Melbourne :err:

Yes I'm sure that extra 5 months or whatever it is must be really important.

That must be the ones who don't know any better and think its great.

I would have died of boredom or isolation depression if I stayed another year in Australia.

Even the houses with all those security grilles over the doors and window look like prisons.

What a lovely feeling arriving home !

Guest The Pom Queen
I would agree with that. Once you get away from the tacky harbour tourist area, its grotty and congested, graffiti and rubbish everywhere, not much to see, much more like an older more dated and chaotic version of Perth.

I remember going there excited to see the legendary Bondi & Manly beaches and left feeling somewhat let down. Took us half the day to get there too. the traffic was bad, much worse than London.

Even though Perth is a quiet town and behind the times somewhat, I have to say Perth is much better than Sydney.

I am also not a fan of London either but I would choose it over Sydney any day. At least it has character.

I have spent so much time in Sydney (ok mainly in the hospitals) and have seen quite a lot away from the tourist areas. Yes there are some grotty suburbs but that can be said about anywhere Uk or Australia, there are some beautiful ones as well.

Like London, there are grotty areas and beautiful areas. I remember arriving for the first time, sitting in the taxi and thinking what a grotty place it was.

Then we got to Double Bay and the harbour opened up in front of me, and I fell in love! Large parts of the Eastern Suburbs are simply gorgeous, as are parts of the North Shore, Northern Beaches, and many other areas.

I agree about there being not much to see as a tourist, though - it's a city for living in not for sightseeing. When people talk about visiting Australia, I usually advise them to go to Queensland and the NT rather than Sydney.

That must be the ones who don't know any better and think its great.

I would have died of boredom or isolation depression if I stayed another year in Australia.

Even the houses with all those security grilles over the doors and window look like prisons.

What a lovely feeling arriving home !

Some people should emigrate some should not seems you one of the latter as it didn't seem to suit you where as it does suit others

Like London, there are grotty areas and beautiful areas. I remember arriving for the first time, sitting in the taxi and thinking what a grotty place it was.

Then we got to Double Bay and the harbour opened up in front of me, and I fell in love! Large parts of the Eastern Suburbs are simply gorgeous, as are parts of the North Shore, Northern Beaches, and many other areas.

I agree about there being not much to see as a tourist, though - it's a city for living in not for sightseeing. When people talk about visiting Australia, I usually advise them to go to Queensland and the NT rather than Sydney.

Must admit I am not a Sydney fan yet the drive north to Newcastle is beautiful

Queensland ticks all the boxes for me to especially the up past Cairns etc

Yes Sydney is a huge sprawling city though I just got used to it. We lived in North Ryde for years and enjoyed living there and after the lads left home we downsized and lived in Dulwich Hill. Also enjoyed living there. Very good public transport and close to other nice suburbs eg Stanmore and Summer Hill. All our visitors enjoyed sight-seeing around NSW especially the south coast as far as the Vic border.

agreed. apart from the harbour bridge, palm beach, northern beaches, Narrabeen, the rocks, opera house, botanical gardens, ferry to manly, manly beach, barangaroo, Sydney fish markets, the bondi to coogee coastal walk, bondi beach, watsons bay, double bay, the harbour, the French inspired charm of Paddington and the cosy pubs, the cafes and bars of surry hills, Randwick races, vivid festival, mardi gras, the cove beaches within ku ring gai national park, fish and chips at the boathouse watching the sea planes land, the hike to figure 8 pools in Bundeena, the best coffee in the world, the quirkiness of the golden age cinema in surry hills, afternoon lunch at Chiswick, paddleboarding in rose bay overlooking the city, lunch in icebergs overlooking the waves at bondi, concerts at the enmore theatre, breakfast in the quirky cafes of newtown..

there is simply nothing to do in Sydney..

now I am heading home to the UK this year after 7 years here, some good times, some bad times, but if you're bored here or would advise people to go to the NT (?????!!!!!) for sightseeing instead of Sydney, I think its your marbles you need to look for, not your visa's!

Those people who slag Sydney off, it can be an unwelcoming and harsh place, not everyone wants to be your mate. some can hack it, some cant.

agreed. apart from the harbour bridge, palm beach, northern beaches, Narrabeen, the rocks, opera house, botanical gardens, ferry to manly, manly beach, barangaroo, Sydney fish markets, the bondi to coogee coastal walk, bondi beach, watsons bay, double bay, the harbour, the French inspired charm of Paddington and the cosy pubs, the cafes and bars of surry hills, Randwick races, vivid festival, mardi gras, the cove beaches within ku ring gai national park, fish and chips at the boathouse watching the sea planes land, the hike to figure 8 pools in Bundeena, the best coffee in the world, the quirkiness of the golden age cinema in surry hills, afternoon lunch at Chiswick, paddleboarding in rose bay overlooking the city, lunch in icebergs overlooking the waves at bondi, concerts at the enmore theatre, breakfast in the quirky cafes of newtown..

now I am heading home to the UK this year after 7 years here, some good times, some bad times, but if you're bored here or would advise people to go to the NT (?????!!!!!) for sightseeing instead of Sydney, I think its your marbles you need to look for, not your visa's!

Those people who slag Sydney off, it can be an unwelcoming and harsh place, not everyone wants to be your mate. some can hack it, some cant.

When we went to Sydney we just saw a big city with horrendous traffic. Had a great time at the zoo and museum then we left. A city is a city.

now I am heading home to the UK this year after 7 years here, some good times, some bad times, but if you would advise people to go to the NT (?????!!!!!) for sightseeing instead of Sydney, I think its your marbles you need to look for, not your visa's!

You must've missed the bit where I said parts of Sydney are beautiful, no argument there. I also said it's a city for living in (meaning, because it has a great lifestyle). But you do need to be a Sydneysider to know where all the great places are - the average tourist isn't here long enough to discover the fish and chips at the Boathouse or where to have tea. And if time is limited, I think the average tourist would be mad to choose the Opera House over the Great Barrier Reef, the rainforest, platypus at Eungalla, the Whitsundays....

Guest Guest109139

:biglaugh:

Not as terrifying as trying to merge onto the freeway in Perth.

It does take some skills to be able to drive on some of the busiest motorways and narrow country roads in England.

Archived