Condition of a 489 skilled regional (provisional) visa

Ypudding

Hi, I'm new on here and have loads of nagging questions about the types of visas and conditions that come with them so will try and keep all my questions as brief as possible. It not helped my cause reading some sites that appear out of date and contradict other sites, its like one step forward 2 steps back grrrr.

I have a sister living in Freemantle WA who has perm residence and a cousin in mackay QLD who is now a citizen having lived there 12 years. Initially I planned applying for a skilled visa 189 until I finally realised there was a skilled list and a consolidated skills list, unfortunately for me my skills are on the consolidated list (Powerstation operator with a ONC & HNC certificate and NEBOSH). So now one option is the 190 visa providing there's a state/territory that will sponsor me for my skills.

I'm looking at all possible options for now though, and am determined to live there somehow, ideally WA.

This question is through the skilled regional (provisional) visa subclass 489. I read the applicant must live in a specified regional area for at least 2 years and work there for at least 12 months. The sponsor must also live in that specified area. SO if my sister lives in Freemantle and sponsored me and I was successful in achieving the visa would I be able to live in Bunbury? AND am I eligible for this visa with my skills being on the consolidated list?

Sorry that was longer than what I planned...Next question will be shorter!!!

Thanks for the reply cjenky...Yes that's the one, I'd read on one site South Australia was sponsoring for my trade but didn't know how up to date that information was or how often it changes from state to state...Is it a yearly review that changes state sponsorship? My brother in law was under the impression South Australia was struggling and a lot of industry has shut down, many of his new work colleagues are working up north on the railways now as a result.

Thanks for the reply cjenky...Yes that's the one, I'd read on one site South Australia was sponsoring for my trade but didn't know how up to date that information was or how often it changes from state to state...Is it a yearly review that changes state sponsorship? My brother in law was under the impression South Australia was struggling and a lot of industry has shut down, many of his new work colleagues are working up north on the railways now as a result.

States review the lists each year but they can also make changes inbetween if they feel it necessary

Yes lists are review annually but as nemesis says they can and will update as and when. The only other state is NT as they will sponsor occupations on the CSOL even if they are not on their list as long as you meet some requirements.

I believe with the 190 visa it is only a moral obligation to stay in the sponsoring state not a requirement of the visa, so in theory you could apply state sponsorship in SA and then just move to WA! It all depends on how you feel about doing that.

Good luck

The 489 can be a bit confusing...

The state-sponsored 489 requires your occupation to be on the CSOL, and you must live/work in a Specified Regional Area.

The family-sponsored 489 requires your occupation to be on the SOL, and you must live/work in a Designated Area.

I live in Pontefract cjenky, had the urge to move over to Aus for years but the highly qulaified girlfriend won't go :( times running out now age wise so Im wanting the wheels in motion. I spent 4 yrs at college to better my qualifications just in case i ever got the opportunity. Do you still live in the UK???

I live in Pontefract cjenky, had the urge to move over to Aus for years but the highly qulaified girlfriend won't go :( times running out now age wise so Im wanting the wheels in motion. I spent 4 yrs at college to better my qualifications just in case i ever got the opportunity. Do you still live in the UK???

Yes we're still in the UK currently. We are in Huddersfield....so not far! Our application is in and we've just been requested to get Medicals and police checks done. Getting a little nervous now, the thought of falling at the final hurdle so to speak!!!

Well good luck Claire, i can't even get the ball rolling! Ive just been informed by a migration expert the state sponsored visa i was looking at is no longer available :( i wish i could buy myself in... might have to search for an Aussie bride at this rate grrr. They have mentioned perhaps I try for New Zealand now as the points and sponsorship might be available there.

We wanted to move to Queensland originally but could only get State Sponsorship for WA and SA. We came thinking we'll give it two years but actually loved it here so much we stayed. So it's a foot on the door even if SA isn't your first choice. Also it's only a moral commitment so you don't have to stay in the sponsoring state. Personally I wouldn't have got sponsorship with no intention of living in that State but a lot have with seemingly no consequences .

Well good luck Claire, i can't even get the ball rolling! Ive just been informed by a migration expert the state sponsored visa i was looking at is no longer available :( i wish i could buy myself in... might have to search for an Aussie bride at this rate grrr. They have mentioned perhaps I try for New Zealand now as the points and sponsorship might be available there.

What Is your points breakdown? Where there's a will there's a way, i've been on with this for the last 4 years, when I started the process loads of states were sponsoring then a door closed at every turn. It looked like there was no way we were ever going to be able to do it. Then the back end of last year I noticed a new stream that NSW had opened. We just thought why not lets give it a go. Submitted EOI and was invited within 3 weeks. From then till now 3 months and our application is now in. I just kept checking all the states sites to see what / if changes they had made. If you really want it don't give up hope as I said where theres a will theres a way. Best of luck

I am the same been trying for years and one way or another was always short of points never really looked at the 489 as thought you had to start application from the start after the two years and was worried my son would then be too old to be included.Im still not too sure of the ins and outs but from what I understand is that as long as you can prove you have worked and lived in a regional area for 2 years then that's all that's required you don't have to redo police checks medical ect would appreciate any information on this as this is now looking like s viable option for me if I can find a state offering sponsorship to Nurses.

I would of thought a nurse would waltz through the sponsorship process in any state ryso. Annoying thing with my case is i easily have the financial means, and qualifications as in ONC,HNC & NEBOSH to go over and settle but obviously not the right skill at this moment in time. Im also falling foul of the age criteria as Im now 44yrs old. Apparently New Zealands age limits are higher.

Claire, my points breakdown when I last did it was sufficient to apply, the agency i submitted an assessment to have said i'm short of points, Im presuming because i turn 45 at the end of April i lose those points. I will wait to see the report they are sending. Again my understanding was if i lodged an EOI before i turned 45 I would qualify for the points even though I turned 45 during the process. But probably something else I've misunderstood :(

I would of thought a nurse would waltz through the sponsorship process in any state ryso. Annoying thing with my case is i easily have the financial means, and qualifications as in ONC,HNC & NEBOSH to go over and settle but obviously not the right skill at this moment in time. Im also falling foul of the age criteria as Im now 44yrs old. Apparently New Zealands age limits are higher.[/quote

Thanks for you reply Ypudding

I think there are good sponsorship opportunities for Nurses but due to different things I haven't as yet managed the 60 points. I have sat the IELTS test numerous times and only managed the 10 points each time then when I enventually could claim work experience points I lost points for age. So now as its stands I could claim 50 points without sponsorship and I'm even thinking of giving the IELTS another go but I am seriously thinking of going for the 489 and if I pass IELTS it will be a bonus. Also a lot of the States offering SS have certain eligibity criteria that at times I have been unable to meet. Although reading lots of positive stories on here has remotivated me and here's hoping we can all find a suitable visa route. I have only in last few days became aware of the 489 being an option :wink:

It's a minefield Ryso lol ;( I've two lots of family over there in two different states, I've numerous friends and ex work colleagues spread throughout Australia, I'm assured some could almost guarantee me a job with their company but I'm still falling foul of this Visa mullarkey grrr. But hey ho I will soldier on.

It cetainly is a minefield but I think if your determind hopefully youll find a way.I think it was a 175/176 visa when I started lol although I now sometimes I think if id just got a good agent then I have had my visa but hey ho hindsights a wonderful thing

Archived