Wanting to migrate to Australia, where do I start?

Antony25

Hello,

I have signed up to this forum due to getting not a great reception on another migration forum and had read several threads on here.

My background is I am 25 years old and a British citizen, I am a Police Officer in the UK and have worked in several roles within the police since I was sixteen years old. I am single and I am educated to high school level and since high school have completed a NVQ (National qualification) in Customer Services and also recently a diploma in policing. When I was three years old my dad migrated to Perth, Australia where he met his current wife who sponsored him, he is now an Australian citizen and has been for twenty three years. All of my Dad's side of the family live in Australia and I have visited four times, most recently in February of this year.

On my most recent visit I decided Australia is ultimately where I want to live and on my return home thought I would begin researching how I make this happen.. which is what brings me here! :)

Now I have researched that being a Police Officer isn't defined as a skill for Australia or it certainly isn't a skill they are currently looking for. I am aware that in the past WA Police have recruited from British Police Officers after attending the UK to conduct international recruitment but I believe the last recruitment drive was in 2014. My Grandad is good friends with a serving high ranked officer within WA Police and I managed to meet with them during my stay, I was told due to the mining industry WA Police have had an influx of Australian applicants thus rendering no requirement for international recruitment, I was told there is a transitional route but to do this I need to hold Permanent Residency status to enable me to apply.

Me being naive enough to think having family in Australia thought this would mean it would be relatively simple to obtain this with sponsorship but as I have found out it isn't.

Basically I am looking for general advice on a way forward, I could hold out for international recruitment but it may never happen or may take a very long time. I'm 26 years old and want to be able to plan my future ultimately working towards being able to apply to get into Australia.

I am looking for general advice on the best ways in order for me to get into Australia and / or obtain permanent residency. I am open that this may require re-training back home in a skill that Australia are looking for, but I have certain questions regarding this. If I was to do an electricians course here in the UK but continued my job as a Police Officer would that class me as a 'tradie' or would I have to be actively working within that area in order to be desirable for Australia?

Is there anything my family can do to assist my route into WA?

I am aware any visa application holds financial implications and I am happy with this.

I am hoping someone here can give me general advice or certain pointers in which I can go away and research. At the minute I feel very lost and I'm new to the world of different visa's etc.

Unfortunately the answer I got on another community was "Australia isn't for you" :huh:

I am grateful for any assistance offered.

Thank you,

Antony.

Hello,

I have signed up to this forum due to getting not a great reception on another migration forum and had read several threads on here.

My background is I am 25 years old and a British citizen, I am a Police Officer in the UK and have worked in several roles within the police since I was sixteen years old. I am single and I am educated to high school level and since high school have completed a NVQ (National qualification) in Customer Services and also recently a diploma in policing. When I was three years old my dad migrated to Perth, Australia where he met his current wife who sponsored him, he is now an Australian citizen and has been for twenty three years. All of my Dad's side of the family live in Australia and I have visited four times, most recently in February of this year.

On my most recent visit I decided Australia is ultimately where I want to live and on my return home thought I would begin researching how I make this happen.. which is what brings me here! :)

Now I have researched that being a Police Officer isn't defined as a skill for Australia or it certainly isn't a skill they are currently looking for. I am aware that in the past WA Police have recruited from British Police Officers after attending the UK to conduct international recruitment but I believe the last recruitment drive was in 2014. My Grandad is good friends with a serving high ranked officer within WA Police and I managed to meet with them during my stay, I was told due to the mining industry WA Police have had an influx of Australian applicants thus rendering no requirement for international recruitment, I was told there is a transitional route but to do this I need to hold Permanent Residency status to enable me to apply.

Me being naive enough to think having family in Australia thought this would mean it would be relatively simple to obtain this with sponsorship but as I have found out it isn't.

Basically I am looking for general advice on a way forward, I could hold out for international recruitment but it may never happen or may take a very long time. I'm 26 years old and want to be able to plan my future ultimately working towards being able to apply to get into Australia.

I am looking for general advice on the best ways in order for me to get into Australia and / or obtain permanent residency. I am open that this may require re-training back home in a skill that Australia are looking for, but I have certain questions regarding this. If I was to do an electricians course here in the UK but continued my job as a Police Officer would that class me as a 'tradie' or would I have to be actively working within that area in order to be desirable for Australia?

Is there anything my family can do to assist my route into WA?

I am aware any visa application holds financial implications and I am happy with this.

I am hoping someone here can give me general advice or certain pointers in which I can go away and research. At the minute I feel very lost and I'm new to the world of different visa's etc.

Unfortunately the answer I got on another community was "Australia isn't for you" :huh:

I am grateful for any assistance offered.

Thank you,

Antony.

Careful what you do in that respect, you usually need post qualification experience as well and depending what you do may have to do more training in Australia, also just bear in mind that a skill on the sol or csol list now, may not be there by the time you are able to apply.

There are a few big migration agents in the UK, but ensure they are MARA registered - there are a list of them on the Aus gov website. Most will do a free assessment of your situation and inform you of the route they would help you go down. There are also a few agents who post regularly on this forum, who may pick up this thread.

All I can say, not knowing whether or not police officers are wanted just now, is keep trying and be persistent-- in the end you will probably get here if you are keen enough because you are young, have some family here and have some skills. Good luck!

You will find that many of the people on the 'other forum' are on this one too..

The advice you received there was perfectly correct. Currently there is no way for you to qualify for a PR visa.

You can, of course, retrain and hope the occupation you retrain in remains on the SOL/CSOL. There's no quick way round it - you will need appropriate qualifications and then a reasonable amount of experience. I doubt that studying part-time will cut it.

I would echo the advice to consult a good migration agent. They might be able to come up with a plan for you to ultimately qualify for a PR visa - but it won't be quick and it won't be cheap.

I agree with consulting a good agent - they don't have to be a lawyer, the important thing is that they are MARA registered.

I know it's frustrating - the average person would think you had every chance of migrating, but as you're discovering, it's not that simple.

If you do want to retrain, have you thought about the prison system? I believe Prison Officer is on the CSOL. You would need to check what licence and experience you need, but as a police officer I'd have thought you'd be welcomed into the system and perhaps get your study funded by an employer.

Remember, once you get to Australia, you don't have to stay in that profession forever, you can go back into the police force if you want.

Training for a skill won't work unless you have years of post qualification experience. It would seem that you don't have many options other than to wait for another recruitment drive.

Not all occupations need a lot of post-qualification experience. Most trades do need it, so I certainly wouldn't recommend retraining as an electrician or other trade, but there are other occupations.

Prison Officer is here and seems to only need a year's experience.

https://www.anzscosearch.com/442111

It looks like he would have to go to the Northern Territory but he wouldn't have to stay there forever - it would be a means to an end.

You will find that many of the people on the 'other forum' are on this one too..

The advice you received there was perfectly correct. Currently there is no way for you to qualify for a PR visa.

You can, of course, retrain and hope the occupation you retrain in remains on the SOL/CSOL. There's no quick way round it - you will need appropriate qualifications and then a reasonable amount of experience. I doubt that studying part-time will cut it.

I would echo the advice to consult a good migration agent. They might be able to come up with a plan for you to ultimately qualify for a PR visa - but it won't be quick and it won't be cheap.

Bit rude to come on here and criticise another forum that has tried to help him. They gave him all the right answers too, same as here, not sure what he is whinging about.

Not all occupations need a lot of post-qualification experience. Most trades do need it, so I certainly wouldn't recommend retraining as an electrician or other trade, but there are other occupations.

Prison Officer is here and seems to only need a year's experience.

https://www.anzscosearch.com/442111

It looks like he would have to go to the Northern Territory but he wouldn't have to stay there forever - it would be a means to an end.

Not sure if they're recruiting for the prison service in the UK just now, you may need to move (possibly south - they tend to have more jobs) and you would take a significant pay cut. Starting salary for a prison officer in uk is about £18k. But if you do decide to go down this route, PM me if you need any assistance. I spent 6 years in prisons in the UK (going home every night, of course!)

Archived