What's the facts?

Oz Hog

I'm posting here because I seem to be getting confusing answers. I'm 62 I moved to Aust. in 1969 as a member of the old British Boys Movement. Through circumstance I now find myself broke and familyless (and friendless) and I'm seriously considering giving up and returning cap in hand to my family in the UK. My queries really are about surviving financially back there. I only ever worked in the UK for about 18 months before emigrating. Accomodation initially would be OK but I realise that would be a finite thing. I would probably live in Plymouth or the area around Aldershot.The main questions are, How difficult is it to find employment at my age. I would imagine something in the style of driving, courier or light truck or stores work. If I cannot find work, would I be able to get unemployment benefits? And what are the pension implications? Thanks in advance.

Hello mate, sorry to hear you are doing it so tough, you won't be able to claim any unemployment benefit for 3 months and then may have to wait 6 weeks for your first payment, you would be able to claim housing benefit from day 1 but you have to pass the habitual residency test, you won't have enough qualifying years for a pension.

You poor bugger- I think you will be in trouble re a pension over there and not sure about your medical expenses either. There is a reciprocal agreement but I am not sure it would cover you as a permanent resident. Do you have a private Australian pension? That's your best bet in a few years time.

Not necessarily - may just need to be a longer term plan!

Your pension is the part you need to be very careful about - at 62 could you 'retire' in Australia? If you have private pensions then you should be able to take your pensions as lump sums and paid into your Australian bank account there is no tax to pay (other than on subsequent interest you may accrue). You are then free to move the money to the UK.

Your Centrelink pension is another matter - you have to be in Australia when you become due for it (& I believe you have to have been there for two years before that) - once you have qualified you can leave Australia and continue to get your pension.

It is unlikely you will be entitled to any UK State Pension though - i have to say I'm not sure if a homeless, destitute British citizen was in the UK not entitled to a pension that they wouldn't be helped - I think you may get pension credit anyway which guarantees you an income of around £150 a week BUT I DO NOT KNOW THAT!!!!

In any case you are 3 years off retirement age so given things seem pretty grim for you why not foucs on getting through those next 3 years?

There is nothing to stop you spending the next 12 months in the UK - as others have said you are entitled to certain benefits immediately and others once you have passed the habitiual resident test - CAB have very useful info on this https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/coming-from-abroad-and-claiming-benefits-the-habitual-residence-test/british-and-irish-citizens-claiming-benefits/

There have been great strides made in overcoming age discrimination and more and more I see older people (as in in people older than me and I'm almost 50!) working in retail - supermarkets, DIY superstores etc. and things like delivery drivers (lots of couriers), taxi drivers. Work is definitely possible but it is difficult to say without knowing you - are you fit, healthy and trim? well-presented? good customer services skills?

What work did you do in Australia? And why are you struggling now? There may be clues there in how easy you would fine it in the UK. Plymouth is possibly not the best option purely because of employment opportunities - Aldershot would have much more possibilities as London is commutable.

Ultimately if you do not have much in the way of private pension provision you may need to return to Australia for the two years prior to retirement to secure your Centrelink pension - and we have had members do that but a 'working holiday' in the UK may move you on from your current situation.

Whatever you do get VERY good pension advice and don't rely on advice from well meaning strangers on forums!

I'm posting here because I seem to be getting confusing answers. I'm 62 I moved to Aust. in 1969 as a member of the old British Boys Movement. Through circumstance I now find myself broke and familyless (and friendless) and I'm seriously considering giving up and returning cap in hand to my family in the UK. My queries really are about surviving financially back there. I only ever worked in the UK for about 18 months before emigrating. Accomodation initially would be OK but I realise that would be a finite thing. I would probably live in Plymouth or the area around Aldershot.The main questions are, How difficult is it to find employment at my age. I would imagine something in the style of driving, courier or light truck or stores work. If I cannot find work, would I be able to get unemployment benefits? And what are the pension implications? Thanks in advance.

Once you reach pension stage if you went back then you could claim your Centrelink pension and take it with you portability If you did not get the Australian pension you would get full UK pension at what ever rate it is at the time as you would be covered under the old reciprocal agreement that ended in 2001 The whole residency issue is a mine field but if you have no family no assists etc in Australia you MIGHT get through it

You poor bugger- I think you will be in trouble re a pension over there and not sure about your medical expenses either. There is a reciprocal agreement but I am not sure it would cover you as a permanent resident. Do you have a private Australian pension? That's your best bet in a few years time.

Reciprocal agreement ended in 2001 and seemingly a new rule about Australians claiming medical care have just come into force

When we have moved back to the UK having entered on a UK passport we enrolled with doctors and were never asked about residency

Hey bud, I'm no expert but would advise speaking to the Government back in the UK (unemployment benefits office) and also speak to your jobseekers allowance in Australia and Superannuation funds and how you are able to receive money owing to you, I would start at this point first and if your not sure, I would ask some one to hep you in the process... 'positive energy'

Hey bud, I'm no expert but would advise speaking to the Government back in the UK (unemployment benefits office) and also speak to your jobseekers allowance in Australia and Superannuation funds and how you are able to receive money owing to you, I would start at this point first and if your not sure, I would ask some one to hep you in the process... 'positive energy'

Having gone through the process of settling back in the UK one thing I will say is get any information in writing from both sides of the pond Centrelink has always been helpful but the UK side we had such differing information from who ever I spoke to an of course down the track no record of my calls Now it's all email or letter for me to be in the safe side

Your Centrelink pension is another matter - you have to be in Australia when you become due for it (& I believe you have to have been there for two years before that) - once you have qualified you can leave Australia and continue to get your pension.

Or you could come back, claim the pension then wait two years?

3. As mentioned, you need to be a resident of Australia at the time the first claim for the age pension. Note that if you have been an expatriate ("former resident") and have been living overseas, the restriction for former residents means that you need to remain in Australia for two years before you can leave and be paid overseas. In practice, many Australian expatriates return home two years prior to becoming eligible for an age pension - this ensures eligibility from a residency point of view and "should" mean the two-year restriction does not apply - although this needs to be confirmed.

http://www.ozexpats.com/content/australian-pension-overseas

Sorry to hear your news ...genuinely .

To come back to the u.k after ao long away maybe a bridge too far.

The u.k can be a tough place to cut it .

Once you reach pension stage if you went back then you could claim your Centrelink pension and take it with you portability If you did not get the Australian pension you would get full UK pension at what ever rate it is at the time as you would be covered under the old reciprocal agreement that ended in 2001 The whole residency issue is a mine field but if you have no family no assists etc in Australia you MIGHT get through it

Just to correct you - if you go back to Australia to claim the aged pension, you then have to stay for TWO FULL YEARS, otherwise they will take it away from you again.

If you're living in Australia and you wait until you reach your pensionable age, you can walk into Centrelink, claim it, and leave the country the next day.

Just to correct you - if you go back to Australia to claim the aged pension, you then have to stay for TWO FULL YEARS, otherwise they will take it away from you again.

If you're living in Australia and you wait until you reach your pensionable age, you can walk into Centrelink, claim it, and leave the country the next day.

I thought it was you had to be living in Oz two years previously not two years afterwards guess I read that wrong

I know my hubbys dropped to 86% after 26 weeks because of the residency requirements for the Centrelink pension that used to be 25 years now 35 Both sides of the pond complicated and plenty of paperwork !

I'm posting here because I seem to be getting confusing answers. I'm 62 I moved to Aust. in 1969 as a member of the old British Boys Movement. Through circumstance I now find myself broke and familyless (and friendless) and I'm seriously considering giving up and returning cap in hand to my family in the UK. My queries really are about surviving financially back there. I only ever worked in the UK for about 18 months before emigrating. .

Personally, I would say moving back to the UK is not the solution. You would be entitled to claim some benefits in Australia, whereas in the UK it's likely you would have to wait months or even years before you could get the dole or any other support.

Also, if you leave now, you'll lose the Australian pension, because you can't claim it from the UK. The only way to get the Australian pension would be to return to Australia when you reach pension age, and then STAY for two full years. If you leave before the two years are up, you'd lose the pension. You could claim the British pension instead, using your Australian work record pre-2001, but it's lower than the Australian one.

Don't you have any superannuation? At 62 you can withdraw some of it to get you over the hump.

you would be able to claim income support when returning to the UK,provided you can prove you are living in the UK full time. ..... The meidcal side of it you are able to be covered fully under the NHS, end of the day you are still English, and have rights. look up the citizens advice they can assist and I believe Home shelter or something.

End of the day, if you go back turn up on the DWP door step say I have no moeny I cant eat they will not let you starve.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS25_Returning_from_abroad_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true

Archived