Sending freshly baked cookies to AUS?

youroverlyattachedbf

Hi,

I've been scouring the internet for information, and have read a few threads on pomsinoz, but wanted to be as sure as possible before I fritter away £50 on a courier; I'm looking to send home-baked cookiess from London to Brisbane, and was wondering whether or not it's worth the risk/whether they'll pass through customs.

They'll be fully baked and then wrapped in plastic wrap, stored in Ziploc bags and then imprisoned in an 'airtight' tupperware container to keep them fresh. Probably going to fork out a lot of money to get them there ASAP but my only issue is customs.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I don't think they'd get through. Home-made stuff is of unknown origin to customs officers. It could contain anything, so they'd have to test it.

There are companies where you can order deliveries of cookies and muffins online. My UK head office sent me a box of birthday muffins from CakesForCorporates. They were very nice and fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might be wrong but I am pretty sure you can't send home made food to Australia, I believe any food sent needs to have full ingredients listed and proper labels. I also think you can't send perishable items. Not sure if you can contract Australia customs to check? Hopefully I am wrong.

I spoke to DHL and was advised to use a 'commercial invoice', which basically entails being very descriptive about what the contents and ingredients are. I'm a horrible and stupid person so I'm leaning towards just chancing it. It was either on this forum or somewhere else but I've read about people sending biscuits and things and it getting through. Cookies are technically a processed food. I'm stubborn. I did look at cookie deliveries in Brisbane, but so far, everything I've sent I've made myself. And it just feels like it means a lot more.

EDIT: I'm not quite sure if they apply a different set of rules to people coming into Australia but this was one of the posts I'd looked at - https://austour.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/australian-customs-biscuits-and-chocolate-are-ok/

Also thank you for your input, guys. Very much appreciated.

Edited by youroverlyattachedbf

That's awful haha. I'm earning money now (well, sort of) so that's one reason as to why I'm not too bothered about frittering away my money, which is really a terrible way to go about things. I'd like to go to Brisbane, and have been looking at WHVs, but my main motivation for it currently would be my relationship, which is 'complicated' :wink:

Also these emojis are... really something else.

I once tried to come through customs with an open and half eaten packet of kid biscuits in my pocket, (by accident, kid had shoved them in the pocket of my jacket.) and the sniffer dog found (and was given to eat) the biscuits within a very quick time.

Common sense should really prevail. In some ways, your efforts are all in vain and this thread is completely redundant because I'm just so stubborn. I'm going to play it by ear, chance it and, if it doesn't get through, then at least I'll have learnt something for myself. And yeah, I heard about how strict they were even with food that you'd brought with you off the plane. If the universe decides my cookies are better off incinerated, then it'll be a sign I should stop cooking. And then I might end up spending more money just having cookies delivered. I'm an awful person.

"Godspeed, John Smith!"

I'm definitely not entirely hopeful now :(

Strange. On the Royal Mail website, in an excerpt which I presume was copied from AusPost or some other official website, it lists ceramic items under Prohibited. I did send a ceramic mug once. Granted, the handle broke in transit as I later found out, but it did get through. And that was the time I sent a jawbreaker the size of a tennis ball too, which could also be considered as being of dubious origin, given that it was sent in a paper bag.

Edited by youroverlyattachedbf

Personally I wouldn't send anything that is banned as there is always a reason why they are banned even if we can't understand or see it. I would just think of something else to send or get something delivered from within Australia. It is a lot of money to spend on a parcel for them to get thrown away.

I look forward to seeing your cookies on Boarder Security lol

+1

They aren't commercially sealed.

They aren't from a commercial supplier.

They are a home cooked product and no-one has any knowledge of what is in them.

China mugs are perfectly ok, I think most of us who have emigrated have brought those in!