Any sole traders work from home -hairdressers /beauticians etc?

jodipodi

I don't personally know anyone but a lady I know has a hairdresser who comes to her in her own home. She is an elderly lady and says this lady goes around the retirement villages cutting hair at a reasonable cost and makes a living out of it. Guess a beauty therapist might be able to do the same but a bit harder I think.

Think it depends on the area. You have to have the right market and all that.

Around here we don't see so much of it but a few people do have a room converted for massage and stuff. There are so many salons, nail bars, beauty therapists, eyebrow bars and the like out and about I would never even think of looking for someone who works from their home or have them come to me. Prefer to walk in and walk out of somewhere when I am in the mall or make an appointment to a local place I like.

ABN is simple to get. Police check also. Working from home would have tax implications so you'd need to keep track of that stuff and have your accountant tally it all up at the end of the year for your tax return. Also there would be insurance and all that.

Thanks very much, so...if all goes well with visas....and it's all ifs and buts.... could I start up without problems to do with being a new resident, I don't have a certain period of time to wait before I can trade ? it's very easy to set up see trader here in uk so I'm hoping to just set straight up from somewhere if possible.

So...an ABN.... I'm presuming that's like a UTR here? A tax reference am I right?

If not from home then possibly renting a room/space in a hairdressers or something.... Does that happen in Oz like it does here?

Thank you xx

I work from home

Customers coming to my house lots

computer repairs

Started from scratch here so I know all the ins and outs, pitfallls etc

GST registration, BAS statements all the joys of running a business

Obviously GST is only when you pass an amount of turnover

Our hair dresser now works on the road and from home and she does very well

Any questions just ask

That's lovely thank you very much for the offer of help it's very kind.. I think I just wanted confirmation that yes I can start straight away, and that's it's as easy as it is here to do...just get my UTR, do my books, pay accountants to do my tax return etc....pretty simple here for little old me xx

That's lovely thank you very much for the offer of help it's very kind.. I think I just wanted confirmation that yes I can start straight away, and that's it's as easy as it is here to do...just get my UTR, do my books, pay accountants to do my tax return etc....pretty simple here for little old me xx

I believe that hairdressers & beauticians may need a licence (to comply with health & safety standards) - try Ablis (ablis.business.gov.au) for more information. An ABN (Australian Business Number) is more like a VAT number than a UTR (that would be a TFN - Tax File Number - which you'll also need whether in business or not). All businesses require an ABN whether they are GST registered or not.

I believe that hairdressers & beauticians may need a licence (to comply with health & safety standards) - try Ablis (ablis.business.gov.au) for more information. An ABN (Australian Business Number) is more like a VAT number than a UTR (that would be a TFN - Tax File Number - which you'll also need whether in business or not). All businesses require an ABN whether they are GST registered or not.

Ah that's great thank you very much.... OK I'll have a look right now x

There are loads who do this in our area. Lots of hairdressers, beauty therapists etc and they seem very popular. I don't know where you are hoping to move to, but we have a local Facebook page where people can advertise their businesses, general community chit-chat and so on, others can ask for recommendations etc in the area, and every day I see both adverts and requests for info about hairdressers, spray tans, nails etc. The place you are moving to may well have a similar community page which might be worth looking for, not only so that you can advertise your services once you are set up, but also so you can work out what others in your area are charging etc.

I know someone who was doing sports remedial massage from home - they had a separate entrance to their business - not sure if they had to do this for the shire they were in. I would check if you're thinking of working from home and renting if the rental can be used in this way, if the shire has any particular regulations for working from home (if the house is being used as a place of business).

Yeah I'll have to look into that part, depending on whether I work from home or rent space in a hairdressers or something like that.... I'm considering doing my waxing course now aswell as possibly semi permanent eyelashes so that I have a little more to offer.

Ideally I'd like to rent space within an established salon.

My main concern was whether o could start up straight away so that sounds simple enough....I will be doing freebies when I arrive so I'll definitely use Facebook to let people know.

That's if all goes to plan.... :wubclub:

• 1 month later...

Hey there, I'm a fully qualified hairdresser with 20 years experience , planning on coming to Brisbane (waiting for visa to be granted) .i have been self employed in Scotland for over 10 years , I rent a chair in a salon and Its very handy whilst raising my family , I love my job and plan to do the same in Brisbane or go mobile . Can anyone give me some info about mobile in Brisbane ? Do people rent chairs in salons like here ? I've heard you need a licence ?! It's been 22 years since I've been to college and after 4 house moves over those years I have lost my qualifications ! What do I need to get my licence ?

Thanks very much, so...if all goes well with visas....and it's all ifs and buts.... could I start up without problems to do with being a new resident, I don't have a certain period of time to wait before I can trade ? it's very easy to set up see trader here in uk so I'm hoping to just set straight up from somewhere if possible.

So...an ABN.... I'm presuming that's like a UTR here? A tax reference am I right?

If not from home then possibly renting a room/space in a hairdressers or something.... Does that happen in Oz like it does here?

Thank you xx

Australian Buisness Number ,taxation a bit different you get a tax file number

Hey there, I'm a fully qualified hairdresser with 20 years experience , planning on coming to Brisbane (waiting for visa to be granted) .i have been self employed in Scotland for over 10 years , I rent a chair in a salon and Its very handy whilst raising my family , I love my job and plan to do the same in Brisbane or go mobile . Can anyone give me some info about mobile in Brisbane ? Do people rent chairs in salons like here ? I've heard you need a licence ?! It's been 22 years since I've been to college and after 4 house moves over those years I have lost my qualifications ! What do I need to get my licence ?

Hi if you contact the place you attended or the examining board who assessed you, they should be able to provide copies of your qualifications.

If it's brisbane specific info you need, you might be best starting a thread on the Queensland sub forum, you might get more state specific information xx

So I don't need a licence?

As I said in an earlier post on this thread check ablis.business.gov.au and remember that laws vary by state so you may need a licence for something in some states and not in others.

Hi if you contact the place you attended or the examining board who assessed you, they should be able to provide copies of your qualifications.

If it's brisbane specific info you need, you might be best starting a thread on the Queensland sub forum, you might get more state specific information xx

thats great thank you

Archived