Been back a month and I think we made a mistake!

Geordie girl

Indeed but that wasn't the point of the post I quoted. The point seemed to be if you are thinking of returning to the UK then read this thread because someone has regretted it.

Exactly. People contemplating a return SHOULD read threads like this. Of course they should also read threads by people who haven't regretted it but the statement is accurate.

Hi everyone, well last year was a really difficult year for us when my hubby lost his job after being there 25 years. Anyway we toiled with the idea of moving back to England for months then decided to do it. Our 2 teenage daughters were not so keen on the idea tho.......especially the oldest.

Anyway we sold our beautiful home, sold most of our furniture, packed up the rest of our belongings, i left my job of 9 years and we said goodbye to family and friends and made the trip back to England.......however even though we did all of this it never "felt" right.

Anyway, we have been back for 1 month and things have been HARD to say the least.

We have managed to get our children into a great school but our oldest daughter just cries every day - omg this is heart breaking to watch because that's exactly what i did when i first moved to Australia. She hates the school and is struggling in every way :(

We are struggling to find a house and realise now that our money isn't going to stretch as far as we thought.

The weather is so cold and wet and miserable and i have had the flu, a cough and sore throat for the whole time i've been here.....as has one of my daughters.

No-one seems to have any oomph to do anything and everyone just seems so content to plod on doing what they've done for ever.

I know it sounds like i'm just whinging and moaning - but i'm not....i'm being honest and realistic. There's lots of good points too, the main being that my family here are great and have been so very helpful and people in general are more friendly and helpful.........

I know its early days but i am SO worried about my daughter and the whole settling in thing in general.

ANY words of wisdom would be great

Thanks heaps Geordie Girl x

Geordie Girl...

We spent 5 years in Oz before moving back to the UK (one year ago today actually) for a good career opportunity... Basically, like you it took me about 5 minutes to realise we had made a mistake. Like you we sold a lovely home and much of our furniture (UK houses are smaller) as we thought we were coming back for good.

My wife and children all miss Australia deeply...

I am determined to do two years in my new job before returning to Australia, but it feels a long two years...

All I can say is you only get one life and whilst it is early days, follow your heart.... we will and we won't be back, other than for holidays.... I am not afraid to say we made a mistake...

Hope things work out for you

I think it is all down to the individual and very personal choice. We haven't long arrived in Brisbane (where my partner is from) and I remember at Heathrow neither of us were excited and if we could have pulled out, we would have.

We have been in Brisbane almost a couple of months now and my partner is struggling to settle and feels like UK is now home. I think Australia is a great country if you have children or family here but not if you don't.

Maybe Australia isn't 'us' in this stage of our lives. Perhaps later on down the road we will change our minds and return.

We love Australia but it seems just mainly as a holiday destination and to catch up with family and friends.

Lots of people say you have to give it time but sometimes you just know in your gut.

We are now planning to move back to the UK and come to Oz for annual holidays.

agreed, all entirely dependent on your circumstances in Oz and the UK. Why would you leave a nice life in Oz to return to a grim town with little employment opportunities, with no mates and no family and vice versa.

I myself sit in the middle of the spectrum, as in I have treated my six years here as an adventure whilst placing very little pressure on myself to commit.. if it all went boobies up tomorrow and work let me go and the mrs ran off with chris Hemsworth, I would happily fly home to my family, friends and everything my home has to offer.

if I'm brutally honest (in my opinion), Australia, outside of the world class cities, Sydney & Melbourne, consists of dusty butlins campsites or places you could imagine Steven Avery's family living. There is very little here except beaches and if you're a person who's mental wellbeing is heavily reliant on sunshine, then of course, stay in Australia!

I'll be off this year once I get my passport, but feel a sense of relief that I'm 100% I want to leave, however I'm under no illusions ill encounter moments on the motorway in the north wondering why I moved back. but that doesn't mean ill be panicking and making plans on moving back, ill just accept that these feelings will come and go.

i'll be enjoying the feeling of being home and surrounded by family and friends.

Of course we could also refer them to the many success stories, all the people that have happily made the return to the UK.

Better still Bristolman, refer them to both and then they can make an informed decision taking in to account the wishes of the whole family. I always find it sad, disappointing and such a wa$te when people can't make it in Australia and I could tell some sad stories of people who returned to the UK and regretted that decision for the rest of their lives, especially those with teenage children who even when they turned adults could not return to Australia because they had never became Australian citizens.

It is indeed the best thing to get citizenship before returning if possible. One of my best friends returned with her husband and daughter after gaining their citizenship. This all happened over 20 years ago when their daughter was 8 years old. My friend has since died and her daughter, now a Chartered Accountant, returned to Australia and works for PricewaterhouseCoopers in Sydney. She may stay for a few years or she may return to the UK at some time.

Better still Bristolman, refer them to both and then they can make an informed decision taking in to account the wishes of the whole family. I always find it sad, disappointing and such a wa$te when people can't make it in Australia and I could tell some sad stories of people who returned to the UK and regretted that decision for the rest of their lives, especially those with teenage children who even when they turned adults could not return to Australia because they had never became Australian citizens.

And again, equally, those who have found themselves trapped in Australia unable to return for one reason or another. Both situations would be very sad indeed.

Gosh I feel for you Geordie, my children aged 11 and 12 have been in tears many times over the last 6 months since we left OZ, we left to be closer to my husbands family ( his father passed 3 years ago and we couldn't come to the funeral then) as his mother us quite old and not in the best health , but I gave left my family , including elderly parents, back in Zoz. It's been quite emotional.

some days we are all happy, others we are all miserable ( crap weather and long winter nights font help) but we wanted to be in Europe for a while, to travel and experience a different life. Also our kids will complete high school here and I found think that they are getting a richer education here ( in Scotland) than they were in Oz. me and the kids are citizens, my husband us a pwrament resident only do we plan to return before that expires, by then kids will be close to finishing school.

they would go back tomorrow if we suggested it, but I know each day being here helps them to adjust. While we are here we are going to take as many trips to Europe and see this side of the world. Everything is so close and we do have family here ( just not my immediate family :(()

i dont think you you are wrong to feel sad/regretful so soon, just give it abit more time.

Excellent thread! My feeling is that it depends what you left in the UK and what you gained in Australia. If you left a relatively low standard of living in the UK, then you are bound to prefer Australia. Returning to a lower standard of living is always going to be hard.

My employer paid for my family and I to emigrate out here (I still own and rent my house out in Milton Keynes). However, having rented in KuRingGai for a year, we have already made the decision to return to the UK around August 2017, so that the kids can start school at the beginning of the school year.

My job required me to work in Sydney CBD so, compared to MK, the housing is more expensive (I pay twice as much as what I charge in the UK for a house of a similar size), housing is a lower quality, there are fewer teaching jobs for my wife (A bit of supply, a bit of Multilit), education quality is worse (personal opinion), and as the housing is so poor in Australia winters are a nightmare (I have never been as cold as I was in my first winter in Australia).

However, we found the cost of transport is great (trains, fuel all cheaper), beaches are better (if you like that sort of thing), weather better, scuba diving better, thunderstorms better etc.

In an ideal world we would love to move to the outskirts of Sydney and commute in, as the properties are more affordable. However, to do this would leave me commuting for two hours which, on top of 4 weeks holiday a year, isn't what I left the UK for. Family all have Permanent Visa's so we may return in the future.

As it is, I look forward to cycling to work without the risk of getting swiped on the Pacific Highway, warm cuddly houses in the middle of winter, holidaying in Europe, larger choice of employers and more opportunities for my kids (Cambridge / Oxford / London / Birmingham)

Excellent thread! My feeling is that it depends what you left in the UK and what you gained in Australia. If you left a relatively low standard of living in the UK, then you are bound to prefer Australia. Returning to a lower standard of living is always going to be hard.

My employer paid for my family and I to emigrate out here (I still own and rent my house out in Milton Keynes). However, having rented in KuRingGai for a year, we have already made the decision to return to the UK around August 2017

Do bear in mind that permanent residency doesn't equal a permanent right to return to Australia. You can get a RRV before you leave, but that's only going to give you a right of return for 5 years. Once that expires, you may or may not get another one. Citizenship is the only way to ensure you can always go back.

Spot on about the larger choice of employers and more opportunities for the kids in the UK/Europe - it always mystifies me when I see people emigrating "for their kids' future".

Archived