May sound a daft question

The Smith Clan

Yes, definitely keep your UK account open - you will find it useful for all kinds of things. At one time, it was possible to maintain a British account forever, but nowadays some banks are taking a different view and may eventually send you a letter saying you must close it - however, you may as well keep it going as long as you can.

You don't need to pay every outstanding bill before you go.

It is possible that there is clause that enables the credit company to request payment in full at any time (this is usually the case on overdrafts for example) and when you advise them of your change of address they could invoke it but we continued paying a number of debts in Australia - an interest free loan for a sofa and credit cards.

So long as you keep paying they are likely to be happy!

Hire purchase may be different but that's quite rare these days (cars is about all you still see that on)

but do we need to pay all outstanding bills before we emigrate such as any loans credit cards. We will be renting our house and will receive an income in UK from this (am I right in thinking we can still keep uk account open?), to pay these.

Thanks in advance, we appreciate any advice.

If you get your mail redirected would they even know?

I opened an account with HSBC several years ago while I was on holiday purely for the convenience of being able to access cash when I was in the UK. No problem at all. They gave me a credit card too and I had zero credit history there.

I opened an account with HSBC several years ago while I was on holiday purely for the convenience of being able to access cash when I was in the UK. No problem at all. They gave me a credit card too and I had zero credit history there.

But that was several years ago. A year ago you could open an account with Citibank too - you can't now.

I don't think you can open a UK account now if you are not a UK resident.

Did you give them an overseas address ? I'm surprised you were allowed to do it.

I don't think you can open a UK account now if you are not a UK resident.

Did you give them an overseas address ? I'm surprised you were allowed to do it.

Yes, I gave them my address in Canada. This was in 2004 so perhaps the rules were different then.

Yes, definitely keep your UK account open - you will find it useful for all kinds of things. At one time, it was possible to maintain a British account forever, but nowadays some banks are taking a different view and may eventually send you a letter saying you must close it - however, you may as well keep it going as long as you can.

You don't need to pay every outstanding bill before you go.

Many thanks that helps :)

It is possible that there is clause that enables the credit company to request payment in full at any time (this is usually the case on overdrafts for example) and when you advise them of your change of address they could invoke it but we continued paying a number of debts in Australia - an interest free loan for a sofa and credit cards.

So long as you keep paying they are likely to be happy!

Hire purchase may be different but that's quite rare these days (cars is about all you still see that on)

Many thanks for your response :)

We have lived away from UK for 23 years, still have our UK bank accounts.

I think Barclays? were intending stopping accounts of expats who were living in Cyprus?, but I don't know what happened?

The other thing I have heard mention is that accounts must remain active, otherwise might be closed if not used over a certain length of time.

We have lived away from UK for 23 years, still have our UK bank accounts.

I think Barclays? were intending stopping accounts of expats who were living in Cyprus?, but I don't know what happened?

The other thing I have heard mention is that accounts must remain active, otherwise might be closed if not used over a certain length of time.

I know of people who've kept their UK accounts too - but I have also heard recently of people getting letters from Barclays saying their accounts would be closed, since they were no longer resident in the UK. I haven't heard reports of any other bank doing that though.

I know of people who've kept their UK accounts too - but I have also heard recently of people getting letters from Barclays saying their accounts would be closed, since they were no longer resident in the UK. I haven't heard reports of any other bank doing that though.

Have you heard of anyone in Australia affected? The news last year only mentioned Cyprus and Malta. My brother lives in Cyprus and knew people affected potentionally but never heard much more about it.

Australia for one country complained.

Because Australians are dodging tax, keeping money in offshore accounts and not declaring the income or assets when they are supposed to.

It was my understanding that most countries are now sharing data about their customers. This was something the United States was demanding, but others were benefiting from. This is why the secret Swiss bank account is now a thing of the past.

Archived