Fridge freezer and washing machine...ok to take into Oz?

Hi people, I've got a Hotpoint American style fridge freezer which is only about a year old, and a Samsung Eco bubble washing machine, also about a year old. Does anyone know if it's ok to take them to Australia? I've tried to check online, but got lost in the techie stuff! I'm concerned that both are in use, and had water running through them, which i may struggle with draining completely, and I just know that if there's the littlest bit of mould spots, customs will put a stop on them! I don't want to sell them, because I won't get back anywhere near what I paid!

Thank you!

for the cost of shipping, waiting, and hoping they're not damaged, I'd honestly sell them and use that plus the shipping saved to buy new (so you can use it right away!) when you get here. the thought of no fridge for maybe 16 weeks (don't believe shipping estimates!) is not one I'd entertain. If you use gumtree etc, you can get basic stuff to last until you buy a house and then can get exactly what fits in the new place.

That said, properly drained they'll be fine to take, if bone dry, but will be prone to going mouldy if closed for 4 months and dinged etc in transit, which, depending on insurance, won't be covered.

Many people have managed to bring both without issue. Yes they need to be drained and cleaned. I would definitely bring the washer but the fridge freezer may not fit in many houses. The big American style ones are not that common here and most kitchen alcoves designed for fridges are too narrow. Having said that if you can fit it in a container bring it.

we brought our American fridge freezer without issue, just swapped the plug.

As noted above, it didnt fit in the alcove in the kitchen, but we used the one we got when we first arrived for that. It fits nicely in the laundry though and allowed plenty of space for beer and ice cubes..

Tea bags. Pop them inside the drum of the washing machine and inside the fridge and freezer and they help prevent mold. Definitely bring them if you have space in your container. Your will not get anything like the cost of them back if you sell them and then you would have the cost of replacing them here in Australia.

Hi people, I've got a Hotpoint American style fridge freezer which is only about a year old, and a Samsung Eco bubble washing machine, also about a year old. Does anyone know if it's ok to take them to Australia? I've tried to check online, but got lost in the techie stuff! I'm concerned that both are in use, and had water running through them, which i may struggle with draining completely, and I just know that if there's the littlest bit of mould spots, customs will put a stop on them! I don't want to sell them, because I won't get back anywhere near what I paid!

Thank you!

We left our American style fridge freezer (but it was a few years old) when we sold our house in Surrey. We negotiated the inclusion of the owners fridge freezer when we bought here too. We also own a Samsung Eco bubble washing machine and shipped it over as it was fairly new (gotta love the tune it plays lol) and very happy that we did as it is sitting in our laundry here doing a great job.

Silica gel packs (lots of them) are best to use inside it. Check very carefully what gas it uses for cooling - if it's running the old-style CFC-type gas then it will not be allowed into the country, and the fines are fairly hefty. Look for a label then cross check against the DEH website for ozone depleting substances (ODSs).

Thanks everyone. I think I will take both, as we don't have much else to cart over there, no lounge suite, no wardrobes, only 1 bed (there's only two of us) so if needs be, we can always store them in a spare room.

Pall I need to know is how clean is "clean". There are a few bits of the washing machine drawer where the conditioner goes that I can't get completely clean (horrible water in this area) but should I go to total extremes like soak it in bleach for a week? I guess I'm answering my own question here!!! If I don't want to have it confiscated, go the extra mile!!

Thanks everyone. I think I will take both, as we don't have much else to cart over there, no lounge suite, no wardrobes, only 1 bed (there's only two of us) so if needs be, we can always store them in a spare room.

Pall I need to know is how clean is "clean". There are a few bits of the washing machine drawer where the conditioner goes that I can't get completely clean (horrible water in this area) but should I go to total extremes like soak it in bleach for a week? I guess I'm answering my own question here!!! If I don't want to have it confiscated, go the extra mile!!

Really their concern is with organic material and not things like conditioner so I wouldn't worry unduly. Main things to worry about shipping are those that spend time outdoors plus Christmas decorations. Tools, garden equipment, garden furniture, bikes, shoes, sports equipment etc.

Archived