between a rock and a hard place....doh

jgt

Well its a funny one. I visited Brisbane in 2000 and fell for it hook line and sinker, cheap houses nice city, met steve Irwin and so decided that's where I was going. Fast forward 12 years and 2 kids later along with a constant nagging of the other half we applied for our PR visas and were sent to Perth.

I left a business in the UK during the recession and thought it was a shrewd move, I was also concerned about immigration and where it was all heading etc. Here I am 2 years and 3 months in and I am physically and mentally knackered. The high cost of living and the downturn in construction along with the upturn in construction in the UK as indicated by fellow uk workers has made me think of returning. However this is where my wife is of a different opinion. It took me years to persuade her to come here and now she doesn't want to return to the Uk.I t would probably be prudent to stay until we get our full citizenship but financially its crippling us.I was thinking of going back to re establish my old business and make some money to return. It was a niche business and very rewarding financially and I know it can be rekindled. I also miss the late shopping eating culture, a good curry, good customer service, and to be frank here in Perth its boring as . Has anyone been in the same situation, should we go to Brisbane, would that as a city and place be more happening.

Similar experiences appreciated, and please no off topic such as , immigration in the Uk, or Aus v Uk etc

Thanks guys

I would definitely try Brisbane. Building trade is healthy.

I'm in uk at the moment. Can't believe the price of things to be honest . I was last here in 2012 . With the current exchange rate , the UK seems a lot more expensive now than Brisbane.. I'm seeing things here now(with the exchange rate) the same price in pounds as I would pay in dollars for certain everyday living items like deodorant, shaving cream to name a few.. Price of housing here has just got out of control. Tbh I was in shock the first few weeks back here by prices.Talking to my family and friends in building trade here, they think by next year it will be back to how it was in 2010-2011(I am in Suffolk though). i would tread carefully, maybe come back for a visit before committing to moving back full time. This ain't a uk vs Aus post either. I love both countries and at home in each.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to sound harsh but I think you should ditch the girlfriend, not so much for you but for her. You may persuade her to stay or you may go back to the UK for her but in the long run it will only lead to heartbreak, probably for both of you.

This is going to sound harsh but I think you should ditch the girlfriend, not so much for you but for her. You may persuade her to stay or you may go back to the UK for her but in the long run it will only lead to heartbreak, probably for both of you.

I think its way too easy to write than to do. Its a simple step when its just you and your partner, but when its you, your partner and two kids (as it is in this case) its not an easy process and a split up is the last thing u want to do (unless of course you hate each other, or dont respect each other etc, which would probably lead to a break up sooner or later anyway).

Sureply ur second half can feel the financial pressures that you have. Maybe a trip back to the UK for a year? Where u both give it a 100% and after that time u sit down and see where you are at? Maybe you both decide that UK is the way to go as you have a batter life, or both decide that Oz is the place for you. Worst scenario is where one want to go A, the other wants to go B.

Keeping my fingers crossed, good luck!

Massive amount of housing and commercial construction all around the Gold Coast atm; also for the upcoming commonwealth games. Every major builder has a hand in. My builder said they have just secured a further ready built 20 plots last week and already 40 percent sold.

What do you think will happen after the games? Sydney boomed after the Olympics, but do the commonwealth have the same effect? Or will over building cause a slump?

I think its way too easy to write than to do. Its a simple step when its just you and your partner, but when its you, your partner and two kids (as it is in this case) its not an easy process and a split up is the last thing u want to do (unless of course you hate each other, or dont respect each other etc, which would probably lead to a break up sooner or later anyway).

Sureply ur second half can feel the financial pressures that you have. Maybe a trip back to the UK for a year? Where u both give it a 100% and after that time u sit down and see where you are at? Maybe you both decide that UK is the way to go as you have a batter life, or both decide that Oz is the place for you. Worst scenario is where one want to go A, the other wants to go B.

Keeping my fingers crossed, good luck!

Oh dear, I posted on completely the wrong thread - my deepest apologies to the OP, it is a completely different scenario to the one I thought I was replying to which was a 20

year old on a WHV with an offer of sponsorship and a much better life in Australia with a

Gf who didn't want to stay and was really unhappy in Australia.

My advice was so that they didn't end up stuck in one

country with children in exactly the position the OP here is.

What do you think will happen after the games? Sydney boomed after the Olympics, but do the commonwealth have the same effect? Or will over building cause a slump?

Not sure

there is also massive population growth in the area as well so hard to predict whether demand will match supply.

Oh dear, I posted on completely the wrong thread - my deepest apologies to the OP, it is a completely different scenario to the one I thought I was replying to which was a 20

year old on a WHV with an offer of sponsorship and a much better life in Australia with a

Gf who didn't want to stay and was really unhappy in Australia.

My advice was so that they didn't end up stuck in one

country with children in exactly the position the OP here is.

hehe, and I know exactly the thread you wanted to post to. I also replied to that thread with an opinion very similar to yours :) Thats why that 20yr old with the GF who wants to return to the UK to her friends, should read THIS thread and see that he should make all the right decisions so as to not have a situation like this one because once there are kids in the equation it makes it a hell of a lot harder when you have two people who want to live in two different places..

I would definitely try Brisbane. Building trade is healthy.

I'm in uk at the moment. Can't believe the price of things to be honest . I was last here in 2012 . With the current exchange rate , the UK seems a lot more expensive now than Brisbane.. I'm seeing things here now(with the exchange rate) the same price in pounds as I would pay in dollars for certain everyday living items like deodorant, shaving cream to name a few.. Price of housing here has just got out of control. Tbh I was in shock the first few weeks back here by prices.Talking to my family and friends in building trade here, they think by next year it will be back to how it was in 2010-2011(I am in Suffolk though). i would tread carefully, maybe come back for a visit before committing to moving back full time. This ain't a uk vs Aus post either. I love both countries and at home in each.

I also love both countries and been in both this year.Deodorant?Are you having a laugh?Where do you shop for deo?Most places I buy deodorant from (supermarkets,Superdrug,Boots etc you can buy roll on (I don't use sprays)for anything from 80p upwards.

I also love both countries and been in both this year.Deodorant?Are you having a laugh?Where do you shop for deo?Most places I buy deodorant from (supermarkets,Superdrug,Boots etc you can buy roll on (I don't use sprays)for anything from 80p upwards.

im talking Lynx deodorant , razors , shaving cream Nivea ,million aftershave , and I could keep going with a load of everyday items I purchased on arrival at boots. .its all due to the exchange rate now I'm finding it very expensive. Coffee this morning at star bucks 3.90 quid.sadly people's incomes here havnt risen though. Eating out is honestly the only thing I find ok. I'm not having a laugh no. I see nothing's changed with this forum..

and im not starting a Aus vs uk with you so that's it from me just posted some advise from my point of view to op as he is in the same grade as me and I know what tradesman are earning here as well as Brisbane.

Edited by Ausborn

No argument needed Ausborn.Im returning to Australia a week Mon to live.I've got no "agenda"in my posts.Just surprised you're finding things expensive.I was in Sainsburys this morning,and happened to be in the toiletry isle,shaving cream (male and females £2 per can),Superdrug had Lynx sets (shower gel and deo spray for £2.50).Starbucks is well known to be expensive.You pay more for the brand name.

Edited by Jacaranda

No argument needed Ausborn.Im returning to Australia a week Mon to live.I've got no "agenda"in my posts.Just surprised you're finding things expensive.I was in Sainsburys this morning,and happened to be in the toiletry isle,shaving cream (male and females £2 per can),Superdrug had Lynx sets (shower gel and deo spray for £2.50).Starbucks is well known to be expensive.You pay more for the brand name.

When I was recently in Perth cherry rules were $1.50 in Coles but 75c in Woolworths.

Everything works that way these days in every country.

Something is always on sale somewhere. You would be a numnut, (or a tourist) to pay full price for anything in any country these days.

Depends where you live in the UK though. Shops closed at 6:00 pm on dot in my area.

You can shop around the clock here now .

I can get all the essentials 24 hours a day from 2 or 3 places within a mile .

A lot of the 24hr petrol stations are like mini supermarkets now .

Does anyone actually go to the supermarket at 2/3am? Is there really any point in them being open 24/7?

Yep they do, my brother does. Others do who work till 1 or 2 in the morning. People who find it hard to sleep. They only keep the ones open that are used.