UK qualifications in Australia

kunnekes

Hi

I am new to this so please forgive me.

My husband is a Massage Therapist in England, he wants to complete a BTEC Level 5 Massage in England to get it as a comparison with the Australian Diploma. Can anyone guide us to anyone that has had to get their massage qualifications recognised in Australia or if they have been through anything similar?

Many thanks Estelle

I think you'll be lucky to get a sponsorship for massage therapy here. There is not a short supply of people in that field at all, and most people I know doing it are self employed anyway. The point of a 457 is to enable an employer to fill a position with an overseas worker because they can't find anyone suitable already on the country...

We are using a migration agent in Melbourne and she has advised us that this is the best way. My husband is 50 march 2017 so time is short. From what i can gather it sounds like it is not a possibility

I also think it would be difficult to find an employer willing to take him on. I have met osteopaths who've come out from the UK, as osteopaths are hard to find in Australia - but massage therapists are everywhere. Since there's no regulation, a lot of them aren't properly qualified and therefore not very good - but the point is that there's lots of competition.

Even if he does find a sponsor, as VeryStormy says, the 457 is only a temporary visa. At the end of his contract he'll be over 50 and not eligible for a permanent visa, and therefore you'll have to come home. That's not a problem if all you want is a chance to experience Australia for a few years, but you need to factor the costs of relocating twice into your budget.

We are using a migration agent in Melbourne and she has advised us that this is the best way. My husband is 50 march 2017 so time is short. From what i can gather it sounds like it is not a possibility

Has the agent explained that to gain permanent residence your husband would need to earn a VERY high salary? Sorry, but not only is it very unlikely you will get sponsored, but in the unlikely event you did, it will only be a temporary move.

If you have a good agent they should know if your hubby qualifies for the visa or not. Double check everything with them and if you do start to contact people here and see what response you get to being offered sponsorship... Hairdressers were on the list at one point and they are 2 a penny here,yet i know of quite a few who migrated with that profession, at the end of the day you only need one employer to say yes....

Cal x

Thank you so much Cal I really do appreciate your reply. I am so grateful of your positive feedback. My husband is starting the Btec level 5 sports & remedial diploma in England. Our MA is positive also but as you know it is a lot of work to get the right info and we are short on time! We loved Australia as a family! Thank you so much you have given me hope again x

Just dont get caught out thinking its a permanent visa, research your options if you think you may want to stay on and just be aware you are tied to the employer and if it goes wrong you have limited time to find a replacement employer or leave the country. This is why lots of people are negative about that visa, IMO its something to use if no other option is left. On saying that many people have moved successfully on the sponsorship visa, so its worked for them.

Lots of luck with everything and keep us updated.

Cal x

Thank you so much Cal I really do appreciate your reply. I am so grateful of your positive feedback. My husband is starting the Btec level 5 sports & remedial diploma in England. Our MA is positive also but as you know it is a lot of work to get the right info and we are short on time! We loved Australia as a family! Thank you so much you have given me hope again x

I don't think others on this thread are not being positive, but being realistic, you really have a slim chance on finding a sponsor who cant find an Australian to do the job and one who will pay the Minimum income threshold which is $53,900 plus 9% super which has to be comparable to market rates. If by luck you do find this there is little to no chance to becoming a PR after 50, (small chance if earning excess of around $130,000 for 4 years).

The 457 visa you are looking at if you lose or leave your job you have 90 days to find new sponsor or leave Australia.

Thank you so much Cal I really do appreciate your reply. I am so grateful of your positive feedback. My husband is starting the Btec level 5 sports & remedial diploma in England. Our MA is positive also

Just check that your MA is MARA registered. There are a lot of shonks out there unfortunately, who are happy to encourage you (let's face it, if they say there's no hope, they won't get paid will they?). No matter how nice your agent appears, if he's not MARA registered, find someone else who is (there are several on these forums). Remember crooks can be very charming that's how they get away with it.

Archived