The weather in Devonport Tasmania today

JockinTas

31 minutes ago, Evandale said:

As you say Toots, a glorious day today. perfect skies and oh so cold here.  I see there is snow down south. Might venture up Ben Lomond this weekend.

I said to my husband yesterday "I bet it's snowing in the mountains".  I sat out in our sheltered back courtyard and had breakfast there.  Very pleasant in the sun.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Evandale said:

As you say Toots, a glorious day today. perfect skies and oh so cold here.  I see there is snow down south. Might venture up Ben Lomond this weekend.

Wrap up warm if you do go!  I see it's -2C just now at Ben Lomond - that's at midday.  Brrrr.  Here in Devonport (according to the thermometer in the backyard which is sheltered and in the sun) it's 15C.  Much cooler out of the sun though.

• Like 1

THE STRONGEST COLD FRONT OF THE YEAR WITH VERY LOW LEVEL SNOW IS SET TO IMPACT TASMANIA THURSDAY AND FRIDAY ****

**** PLEASE SHARE/TAG THIS INFO WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY OR ANYONE YOU KNOW IN THESE AREAS ****

- The strongest cold front of the year will impact south eastern Australia later this week with its strongest impacts felt in Tasmania with strong winds, very cold air, showers, possible hail and thunder felt mostly Tasmania but some degree Victoria, south eastern SA and southern NSW.

- Snow is likely to fall to VERY LOW levels in Tasmania mainly western and southern parts with snow possibly falling as low as 200 metres in parts! 600-700 metres in Victoria & 900 metres southern highlands of NSW.

- Weather models (EC and GFS models in diagram 2 and 3) are showing temps as low as -6c at 850hPa over Tasmania especially southern parts this indicates snow levels close to 200 metres.

- 60% of Tasmania may see some snow either later Thursday or overnight into Friday morning

- The not so good news is this front lacks some moisture so snowfalls will not be widespread however where snow does fall especially in Tasmania will be to very low levels possibly not seen since the early August sea level event of 2015.

- Rainfall will be light and patchy however small hail and thunder will impact parts of Tasmania and southern Victoria. The best of the falls will be western and south western Tasmania where 5 to 20mm is possible which will fall as snow above 200 metres.

- Another high will quickly move in creating further widespread frosts (some severe) and fogs over large parts of south eastern Australia this weekend.

Images are thanks to Weatherzone, ECMWF, BSCH and MetEye.

- JWC TEAM

• Like 1

Just as well we enjoy the four proper season Evandale!  :)  We are at sea level so very doubtful we will see snow.  I've seen flurries of the stuff but it's gone soon after.  A friend in Sheffield has a bit of it though each winter.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Toots said:

Just as well we enjoy the four proper season Evandale!  :)  We are at sea level so very doubtful we will see snow.  I've seen flurries of the stuff but it's gone soon after.  A friend in Sheffield has a bit of it though each winter.

We love the seasons too  Toots, magical state. We are booking Peppers @ Cradle Mountain for next weekend, lovely to have saunas surrounded by snow lol. I think my OH said there had been flurries at Devonport but it soon disappeared, a lovely town btw, we love the architecture by the front.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Absolutely beautiful weather here for the last two days, cold nights, clear skies full of stars.  Sitting here outside in gorgeous sunshine looking up at Ben Lomond ... Daffs, tulips, primroses all coming through. Spring is with us in three weeks...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Evandale said:

Absolutely beautiful weather here for the last two days, cold nights, clear skies full of stars.  Sitting here outside in gorgeous sunshine looking up at Ben Lomond ... Daffs, tulips, primroses all coming through. Spring is with us in three weeks...

Gorgeous full moon last night too and a sky full of stars.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

Beautiful days, , the night skies are amazing with no light pollution .  Cold and saw snow up on the mountains over the weekend.

Can you see the Milky Way there at night at the moment? DD has been dying to find a spot here on hols in Koh Samui that's light pollution free enough and accessible so she can get a few good photos.

36 minutes ago, Gareth 666 said:

Can you see the Milky Way there at night at the moment? DD has been dying to find a spot here on hols in Koh Samui that's light pollution free enough and accessible so she can get a few good photos.

Havent seen it the  last month Gareth, and the Aurora last September in Evandale  was absolutely stunning ... looks like 24th August is prob the next star gazing weather in Koh Sumui..https://www.accuweather.com/en/th/ko-samui/5470/astronomy-daily-forecast/5470?day=16

• Like 1

Havent seen it the  last month Gareth, and the Aurora last September in Evandale  was absolutely stunning ... looks like 24th August is prob the next star gazing weather in Koh Sumui..https://www.accuweather.com/en/th/ko-samui/5470/astronomy-daily-forecast/5470?day=16

Thanks for the info. We'll be Penang bound next week and back in the UK by the 24th. [emoji853]
  • Like 1

We had a flurry of snow which lasted all of a couple of minutes yesterday morning.   Last night we had howling wind, very heavy rain and thunder & lightning.  Thought the power was going to go off but it didn't.  Today is calm and blue sky.  That's Tassie weather for you.  :P 

• Thanks 1