Brits Kicking Aussies out of UK

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

I wonder if this will see the end of Australian WHV in retaliation.

Australians fear new “discriminatory” UK working visa and migration policies will see thousands of workers forced home with little hope of return. At the same time Britain is welcoming record numbers of European Union (EU) arrivals who face no restrictions on starting a new life in this country.

According to Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), a new tranche of UK visa rules is set to come into effect next year that the Australian Government has already warned would cause “structural damage” to formal relations between the two countries. New Zealanders and Canadians will also be impacted.

A summary of the DFAT report, obtained by News Corp Australia, pointed to widespread disenchantment among Australian directed or related businesses operating in the UK.

The Sydney Daily Telegraph reports more than half of 100 businesses surveyed, staffed with between 10 and 10,000 staff, said visa rule changes would directly impact planned investment in the UK while two-thirds of respondents said it would “significantly impact their ability and willingness to recruit Australians”.

“The UK’s visa changes are making this country a less welcoming destination for Australians,” the Australian High Commission-signed report states.

“This potentially harms the UK’s image and reputation in Australia, and might even in the long term undermine the unique Australia-UK bond.”

In 2011 the British Government closed certain skilled worker visas and capped other at just 20,000 positions for all nations from outside the EU. The move came after the EU’s open borders saw a dramatic rise of skilled or semi-skilled workers flood the UK, particularly from eastern European nations.

As Breitbart London has reported, official figures released in August revealed that the number of EU migrant workers entering Britain has jumped to a dramatic two million people, a rise of four per cent on the previous quarter.

According to the Official for National Statistics, estimates by nationality show that between April to June 2014 and April to June 2015, the number of UK nationals working in the UK increased by 84,000 to reach 27.76 million, while the number of non-UK nationals working in the UK increased by 257,000 to reach 3.18 million.

Meanwhile, as EU workers soared in numbers, there has been a 50 per cent drop in Australian migration between 1999 and 2011, to just 26,000 people with another 14 per cent drop in the past four years.

From 2016 UK worker restrictions are to be further tightened and extended to intra-company transfers, spouses right to work and see levies implemented but these are likely only to affect workers from Australia, New Zealand, Canada and other Commonwealth countries outside the EU.

The Australian Government has formally protested the move in a rare strongly worded diplomatic missive from High Commissioner Alexander Downer to Whitehall and Westminster’s Migration Advisory Committee.

In 2010 British Prime Minister David Cameron promised ‘no ifs, no buts’ to cut net migration – the number of people entering the country minus the number leaving – to the tens of thousands.

He seems to have achieved that aim – but only in relation to workers

As a UK citizen, I would much rather open borders with Australia and New Zealand rather than Eastern Europeans !!

i really can't understand the process behind this new ruling.

the UK seems one rather messed up place at the moment.

it just seems to be getting more and more backward:arghh:. I really feel for Brits with Aussie partners, trying to move back to the UK. Why the hell do they have to jump thru hoops, when others from non English speaking countries, who have no clue on how to integrate into the British way of life and do nothing but set up their own little ghettos, get to walk in, no questions asked, handed more welfare than any working Brit could ever gets.

A points system for all, no open borders

As a UK citizen, I would much rather open borders with Australia and New Zealand rather than Eastern Europeans !!

it just seems to be getting more and more backward:arghh:. I really feel for Brits with Aussie partners, trying to move back to the UK. Why the hell do they have to jump thru hoops, when others from non English speaking countries, who have no clue on how to integrate into the British way of life and do nothing but set up their own little ghettos, get to walk in, no questions asked, handed more welfare than any working Brit could ever gets.

What about us Canucks? :)

Indeed, but unless the UK pulls out of Europe (unlikely) or gets a veto on freedom of movement (even more unlikely) this isnt going to change.

but then adds fuel to the fire of our no regrets about leaving.

What mess is that then, and how is the U.K moving backwards?

As I understand it , the U.K are to introduce a similar system to the Australian 457 visa , in other words applicants will need some kind of sponsorship from a potential employer . If that is the case , then what's the problem ? .... Australia has done it for years ..

Dave C

Doesn't change the fact though we're all humans!

No it doesn't but why aren't we humans all treated equal. EU citizens have an easy ride in terms of moving to the UK. We non EU born partners/spouses have to jump through hoops to move to the country our Partners/spouses were born hardly fair is it we are humans too although not EU born ones.

As I understand it , the U.K are to introduce a similar system to the Australian 457 visa , in other words applicants will need some kind of sponsorship from a potential employer . If that is the case , then what's the problem ? .... Australia has done it for years ..

Dave C

Yes but Australia does it for all not just a particular region as in the UK does or will do with non EU born people hardly fair especially in the case of partners and spouses.

No it doesn't but why aren't we humans all treated equal. EU citizens have an easy ride in terms of moving to the UK. We non EU born partners/spouses have to jump through hoops to move to the country our Partners/spouses were born hardly fair is it we are humans too although not EU born ones.

It's not fair at all and against a British individuals human rights, from where I stand.

Yes but Australia does it for all not just a particular region as in the UK does or will do with non EU born people hardly fair especially in the case of partners and spouses.

Not at all fair in regards spouse visas, but the agreement entered into stipulates travel between nations including to live and work be unhindered. Saying that I had a very difficult time with French bureaucracy to get a Card to Stay, which was necessary before I could resume work. It was necessary to point out EU law in writing to the town hall in order to get the necessary permit taking time and effort.

Far easier the other way around for French nationals in Britain.

Obviously not au fait with the Aussie ghetto once called Kangaroo Valley in London's Earls Court. Later moved to Shepherds Bush and in more recent times more dispersed with a changing demographic and cost factors. I witnessed police with riot shields once wading in breaking up an altercation that had spelt out onto the street after squaddies pulled down the Aussie pub's mascot, a roo with a fag in its gob and manhandled it. Dozens involved. Poms entered such places at own risk.lol. A number of Aussie watering holes in the area, with Kiwi's and Saffies far predominant.

Well said

..another cock up by the powers Tha be .

Disregarding the commonwealth ,and allying ourselves with Europe ...bonkers

Not at all fair in regards spouse visas, but the agreement entered into stipulates travel between nations including to live and work be unhindered. Saying that I had a very difficult time with French bureaucracy to get a Card to Stay, which was necessary before I could resume work. It was necessary to point out EU law in writing to the town hall in order to get the necessary permit taking time and effort.

Far easier the other way around for French nationals in Britain.

That's the thing, most EU member states don't find the rules onerous, because they enforce the rules as they please.

They're cracking down on the wrong people. Way too late to do anything about it now unless they get out of the EU and send a lot of people back home. That would be tough but it's what needs to happen.

That probably will happen Paul ....cameron has switched tack ,and is starting to prepare us for the exit ....

To be fair Fifi explained that Austalians (Canadians and New Zealanders) are closer culturally to Brits than are eastern Europeans....and they speak English.

I know you've not been in Australia long but it's interesting you think Australians are culturally closer than Eastern Europeans, I don't agree at all (respectfully!). I would have believed that before living in Australia and in fact it was one of the revelations I had - the very first friends we made in Australia were from Poland, closely followed by a couple from France and over our time there we had friends from Denmark and Sweden too. Obviously the majority of our friends were Australia and we had quite a few South African friend too but it really struck me that I had way more in common with other Europeans than I did with Australians (things like how we celebrate Christmas & Halloween - we had a joint Halloween party with the danish family each year to show Aussies how it's done properly rather than the Americanised 'trick or treat' version!)

Not that I think migration from outside of Europe should be curtailed - in fact I think it should be relaxed in certain areas such as spouse visas BUT this is all about politics, the right wing want migration curtailed and without losing the benefits of the EU then only way they can do it is by reducing non-EU migration - crazy as in the majority of cases these are the very people the UK needs! I had to lose key resource in the middle of a project as their visa only allowed them to stay 2 years despite being a skilled and experienced professional - the company simply swapped them out with another guy from India so it didn't even reduce the number of migrants overall!

Perth should be an independent country it seems because the Aussies/Country described there seem to have nothing in common with my experiences in Brisbane.

We speak the same language, play the same sports, watch the same TV, eat similar foods. Every other Aussie here has British parent(s). Must be a different planet over there.

I know you've not been in Australia long but it's interesting you think Australians are culturally closer than Eastern Europeans, I don't agree at all (respectfully!). I would have believed that before living in Australia and in fact it was one of the revelations I had - the very first friends we made in Australia were from Poland, closely followed by a couple from France and over our time there we had friends from Denmark and Sweden too. Obviously the majority of our friends were Australia and we had quite a few South African friend too but it really struck me that I had way more in common with other Europeans than I did with Australians (things like how we celebrate Christmas & Halloween - we had a joint Halloween party with the danish family each year to show Aussies how it's done properly rather than the Americanised 'trick or treat' version!)

Not that I think migration from outside of Europe should be curtailed - in fact I think it should be relaxed in certain areas such as spouse visas BUT this is all about politics, the right wing want migration curtailed and without losing the benefits of the EU then only way they can do it is by reducing non-EU migration - crazy as in the majority of cases these are the very people the UK needs! I had to lose key resource in the middle of a project as their visa only allowed them to stay 2 years despite being a skilled and experienced professional - the company simply swapped them out with another guy from India so it didn't even reduce the number of migrants overall!

Of the nationalities you listed only Poland could be described as East European though so references to Danes, Swedes, French and South Africans in your post makes no sense to the point you are making. I doubt that you are typical in finding more in common culturally with Albanians and Romanians than Australians.

Not saying that culturally there are not significant differences between Brits and Aussies but far fewer than between Brits and East Europeans I feel.

I have no idea what a real European Halloween is and thought it was largely an American invention anyway copied in UK and Australia. Certainly in my part of the UK everyone cut pumpkins and the kids did trick or treat. Perhaps in Scotland Halloween is different to England.

I have no idea what a real European Halloween is and thought it was largely an American invention anyway copied in UK and Australia. Certainly in my part of the UK everyone cut pumpkins and the kids did trick or treat. Perhaps in Scotland Halloween is different to England.

It's a Scottish tradition taken to America by migrants via Ireland - I grew up in England and there was little difference than Scotland but that was the North of England - I was only ever an adult without children in the South of England but it always seemed pretty poor in comparison.