My travel thread

Quokka2005

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I already chatted to someone yesterday about looking for work outside of Melbourne. Just thought maybe that would be the best place to head to quickly before school holidays start (if they haven't already!). A friend is there the now she she said she's noticed lots of cafe jobs in Fitzroy I think. Melbourne has a cat cafe too haha.

I like most cities. I just don't think Sydney is that great. It's overhyped by everyone imo. I'm going to go down to the harbour tomorrow night though for a walk

I fully agree Sydney is way overhyped. In fact Australia is to an extent, which allows the exorbitant charges on accommodation and exploitation of casual workers without a lot of recourse.

I'd imagine the time will be fast approaching where options will be curtailed and the preservation of remaining funds paramount. I wonder if unable to leave (if that remains the goal) in say the next forty eight hours, it wouldn't be better to drop anchor in Sydney until the New Year and get a job and room?

It'll give you Christmas Day at Bondi Beach, as well as time to get bearings and more adapted into the Oz way of things. Melbourne will take a few days to adjust to and before you know it another week or more has passed and another thousand lighter.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed and emotional with everything today. Stupid hormones! Wonder if I'm still jetlagged haha.

.........or perhaps head where there is a bit of support

.........a few offers on here Stacey!

.........maybe a idea till your more settled

..........early days and any city is overwhelming when your new

..........you have achieved so much

..........there will be days when your unsure

..........take care and do what makes you happy...Xx

I checked into a new room, I feel like I've been all over this hostel haha. I keep going from extremes - rooms that have orgies to rooms that everybody's in bed by 9 and now I'm in a room that at first was a total state and I thought it was only men in it. Now I've walked in and it's just women in it at the moment and nobody speaks to each other at all. Plus Im on the top bunk, I knew I couldn't be lucky and get the bottom bunk the full trip lol.

My bank card arrived today so I'm feeling a lot better about that. Don't feel as trapped

Feeling a bit overwhelmed and emotional with everything today. Stupid hormones! Wonder if I'm still jetlagged haha.

Perhaps you are still jetlagged, if you are still feeling disorientated. I usually love London, but staying in a hostel rather than a nice hotel and worrying about when I was going to get my flight to Sydney was an unpleasant and unsettling experience.

I fancy staying in hostels will be much the same wherever you are, although there are better ones. My one experience in Sydney was at the YHA on the corner of Pitt St and Rawson Place, just around the corner from you at Wake Up? I seem to recall one of the guys telling me that it was very good by hostel standards. I fancy the hostel experience in Melbourne or Brisbane will be no better (an no worse) although you might be lucky. It will be another strange city to try to come to grips with. Looking back, I loved Perth but disliked both Adelaide and Sydney, and none of the hostels were exactly "homes from home".

I just remembered that I stayed in colleges at the Uni of NSW so you could explore that option. I don't know what the costs are.

http://www.newcollege.unsw.edu.au/sydney/casual-accommodation

Don't think I would like a hostel.

What a lot of people do is buy a cheap van and just park somewhere and sleep in the back.

Well not just anywhere nor in a decent good location. Australia being very controlled is quick to jump on 'freeloaders' and issue infringements. It would need to be away from beaches and tourist places and residences. In other words far from locations that would make it really worthwhile.

Well not just anywhere nor in a decent good location. Australia being very controlled is quick to jump on 'freeloaders' and issue infringements. It would need to be away from beaches and tourist places and residences. In other words far from locations that would make it really worthwhile.

Actually they do it along the beach and around the botanical gardens and places like that.

They are tourists on WHVs. They get given parking tickets but of course never pay them and just go home after their 12 months leaving them here. And abandon the van somewhere.

No course not but I can't think of anywhere regional that I can get to without a car that will have decent job opportunities.

the guides said that cairns has cheap accommodation but then it comes down to the whole weather and job thing again

My cousins lad did his 3 months regional in Mildura, loved it too, seemed to be work up there but mainly fruit picking and packing.

When I was backpacking just over 5 years ago Cairns was by far cheapest for accommodation around 10 dollars a night. Brisbane and Perth also half of Sydney/Melbourne. May have changed though

Yeah we got told cairns is cheap and that we can get an apartment for $130 or something like that. A lot of people are heading up that way before they start working.

I really really want to do all the touristy stuff like Fraser Island right now but I just don't want to run out of money

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. They've been picking places like Byron bay and it doesn't exactly scream out employment central to me but I don't know much about it.

If I don't find hospitality work in Melbourne or some sort of country pub type job in regional Victoria then I'll probably just find a family to au pair for and then at least I'm not eating into my savings. There's a girl that was supposed to be coming to the Manchester meet up, she's au pairing in bondi and loves it. She's met a bloke there too apparently. I did think about doing that but I haven't really looked into it enough

Actually they do it along the beach and around the botanical gardens and places like that.

They are tourists on WHVs. They get given parking tickets but of course never pay them and just go home after their 12 months leaving them here. And abandon the van somewhere.

Well from experience in the NT at least the best outcome would be a warning and fine if discovered in any other non paying area within the city boundaries. The same goes for outdoor sleepers.

I would hardly think Sydney would be anymore tolerant to people living in vans after been given a warning.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. They've been picking places like Byron bay and it doesn't exactly scream out employment central to me but I don't know much about it.

If I don't find hospitality work in Melbourne or some sort of country pub type job in regional Victoria then I'll probably just find a family to au pair for and then at least I'm not eating into my savings. There's a girl that was supposed to be coming to the Manchester meet up, she's au pairing in bondi and loves it. She's met a bloke there too apparently. I did think about doing that but I haven't really looked into it enough

Haven't what? Looked into meeting a bloke and free rent?

Yeah we got told cairns is cheap and that we can get an apartment for $130 or something like that. A lot of people are heading up that way before they start working.

I really really want to do all the touristy stuff like Fraser Island right now but I just don't want to run out of money

I'd not rush. Keep your powder dry. Get the feel of the place. Don't be enticed by ever changing minds of fellow backpackers who all too often act on impulse. I like impulse to an extent but not when low on funds.

Each day your becoming an older hand at the travel game. Let your experience be the guide.

It's just the past few days I've had bad luck with. Before that it was fine, I really liked my first room and wish I'd got the contact details of 2 of the people because they were going to Melbourne.

Btw why didn't anybody tell me Melbourne had a cat cafe?!

Just buy me a take out coffee and I'll make sure Panda is at home for you! 3de3cb96eca704efc3e03c8066c85504.jpg

Haha no I didn't mean about meeting a bloke! If I was travelling for a bloke I'd be going to the NT!

Right ive narrowed it down to Melbourne and Perth. I can't decide. One day I'll look back and laugh at how ridiculous I am!

You'll decide I am sure :) I thought you were settled on Mebourne so am surprised to hear Perth now mentioned.

All I will say is going one side of the country to the other is a long way, more so it you then cross back over at a later date. I'd either start or end the WHV in Perth but that is me. Most people I know started over there and went across country and took in the sights, ended their trip on the east coast, usually Sydney. Some skipped Perth all together.

Do what you think is best for you Stacey :) Its early days, don't overthink it too much.

Archived